Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot and Fast Brisket Cook with Fireboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot and Fast Brisket Cook with Fireboard?

Has anyone ever tried a H&F cook using the Fireboard? Say cook a brisket for 2 hours at 400F, then drop the temp to say, 240F until probe tender?

I've seen how well the Fireboard controls a low temp for an extended period of time, but how would it handle a temp drop as described? Or would you just use the Fireboard for the last part of the cook?

Couldn't say for sure. My cabinet smoker holds the temps very well. By that I mean the temps fall slowly when I turn the temp down. It would take a very long time to go down 100 degrees or more. Much quicker going up.

I suppose you could make it work but it would take some trial and error. I've never tried the hot and fast cook on a brisket anyway.

Comment

Why would you start so high then go so low? Lately I’ve been throwing the meat on around 200 and trying to let it gradually rise during the cook to end around 300.

Comment

• JoeInTX
        JoeInTX commented
        Editing a comment
        Red Man Reason I haven't tried low and slow for the entire cook is I haven't experimented enough with my DigiQ (recently purchased), so I haven't tried any overnight cooks yet. Also, I've seen some videos showing how a Hot & Fast cook works on full packer briskets, and was very intrigued by them. I've done two this way, both with very good results!

JoeInTX I am going to be experimenting with doing something similar to this soon where it is a bell curve for briskets. Start off lower temp to build a nice smoke ring and flavor then jump it up to power through the stall and cut time then back down again to give it extra time for the fat to render and tenderize when the meat is hotter.

Comment

• JoeInTX
        JoeInTX commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahumadora Thanks for your reply. I would be interested in learning from your results!

I cook hot and fast using my fireboard, but I keep my temps at around 275-300 the entire cook. I wrap when I get the color and crust I want. Typical cook time for a 12 pound prime packer is 4-6 hours.

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

• JoeInTX
        JoeInTX commented
        Editing a comment
        ColonialDawg I've tried Hot & Fast on my last two briskets. One was 14 lb, the other was only 9 lbs, both prime packers. On both, I started with 350-400 for the first two hours, wrapped, then finished at 225-250 until probe tender. Total cook time on the 14lb was 8 hours and 7 hours for the 9 pounder. They both turned out really well!

Maybe I'll try your method on the next one. BTW, I still haven't tried one low and slow the entire cook.

I do brisket like that when I cook it in the oven and only when a full packer.
      I preheat oven to 400 but only leave at 400 for one hour not two then reduce to 250.
      The brisket is also double wrapped in tin foil, this is how my sister does it down in Texas.
      I have not tried a full packer on my smoker, The Keg, yet as one of us can't seem to control temps, it blames me and I blame it.
      Agree with NapMaster, getting your smoker down from 400 to 200 would be challenging to say the least.
      I am not familiar with the Fireboard so will not comment on its strengths or weaknesses.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here