Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Party Q *****Don't WASTE your $$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Party Q *****Don't WASTE your $$

Mine is better at being a paper weight than the vaunted controller as advertised. Consequently, I will be donating the specimen back to BBQ Guru in hopes they perform an autopsy to determine cause of numerous ills.
    Multiple probes have been replaced by myself and BBQ Guru.
    The entire unit was replaced once by BBQ Guru.
    Forgets its calibration settings in mid cook every time.
    The display goes ape when the grill is rolled across the concrete patio.
    The battery indicator always shows low battery icon, even with new batteries.

Cooking with manual vent control is easier.

Bummer. First bad report I've heard on this unit.

Comment

• Woodson
      Woodson commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here.

Love my Auber!

Comment

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto. I have the "base" model.

I think you have a lemon. Mine is a 1st edition and has worked fine.

Comment

My partyQ always had minor 20 F cal issues but they were constant so if off set where I set it. it worked like a champ for well over a year before I gave it away.

Comment

Bummer to hear that, I’ve always heard good things about those devices. Hopefully they can make it right for you some way.

Comment

I have been thinking of upgrading mine to the DigiQ mostly because I sometimes need more volume of air.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your woes. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Digi-Q

Comment

I have a DigiQ i picked up here courtesy of Spinaker and its been a great little workhorse

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad to hear it is working out for you!

I guess we all can expect a lemon occasionally. This one certainly is.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
                JimLinebarger commented
                Editing a comment
                You said you had it replaced and it still wasn't operating correctly. Wonder if they changed something in manufacturing since I bought mine. I now need to check the calibration of mine after reading some of the comments. I did it in the past but have had to change probes once or twice. Might need to do it again. But would rather just upgrade to the DigiQ. What's MCS anyway and why do I have it? Bad.

I stick with the two vents my kettle came with.

Comment

My PartyQ is my friend for long overnight cooks. The temp reading seems to be off a few degrees from what my Maverick XR-50 says, but it has worked dependably for me for a few years now. I'm pretty good at setting the vents to hold temperature, but I would never be able to sleep at night without the PartyQ there for insurance. Plus, there is no tapering off of the temperature as the charcoal gets lower.

Comment

I got a PartyQ for myself on Cyber Monday this past November, unwrapped it on Christmas, and used it for a New Year's brisket cook. I've used it for all of my butt and brisket cooks since - maybe 12 to 15 cooks since January 1st. No issues other than the AA batteries last MAYBE 2 cooks.

Comment

• Steve R.
                    Steve R. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You're right about the battery life. But instead of following the instructions to close the bottom vents, I set up the kettle pretty much the way I would without the PartyQ, then it barely has to run after getting up to temp, until the charcoal starts getting low. I still change the batteries proactively about every other cook.

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Steve R. I've been doing that too - let the temp get up to 225 or so, before I install the PartyQ and turn it on. That certainly helps.

• LA Pork Butt
                    LA Pork Butt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I found battery life short on my PartyQ, but I don’t have an o potion of leaving vents open on my BGE. The only vent is the one you plug the PartyQ into. I have found a way to convert it to electric, but haven’t done it yet.

PartyQ (probe attached to the Smoke probe) showing 158-160. Smoke probe showing 448 and 3 secs later 500. Is that close enough? Wonder if these probes have a 20 or so cook life expectancy. However, I now do have the go ahead for the DigiQ.

Comment

Sometimes when two probes are too close together you can get interference and weird readings, JimLinebarger . I'm not saying that's what happened in your situation, especially since you get to purchase the DigiQ.

Kathryn

Comment

• JimLinebarger
                      JimLinebarger commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Will most likely cook again before the purchase so I will do what you suggested. AND I will NOT let my wife read this post! lol

• ken g
                      ken g commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Kathryn. I think you hit the nail on the head! I was checking pit temps in multiple locations on my Rec Teq pellet grill with same Maverick thermometer I used on the BBQ Guru. Fed all the probe wires through same hole. Lo and behold the RT temp readouts start going ape shortly afterward. I pulled them out and re-routed the probe wires through the exhaust ports away from the RT probe wires and it all settled down shortly afterward. RFI may have played a role in the Party Q malfunction.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here