Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit Viper install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit Viper install

I have a Weber kettle and plan to pick up a FireBoard and Pit Viper (anyone know of any current coupons/sales???) I’ve seen pics of people who drill their kettle to mount the Pit Viper and I’ve seen others that mount it through the bottom vent.

I don’t have a problem drilling the kettle (already did lid for a Tru-Tel thermometer) but I’m wondering the pros/cons of each way to install.

I’ve seen that you should remove the fan when you snuff out the fire. Does either way make it easier to take it out?

Thanks!

dont know the pros and cons off hand but i have mine drilled and installed. my first thought would be protection from drippings with the drill method.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      this could also be pure speculation, but at least in my mind drill install on the opposite side from a SnS or coal bed would promote air flow to under the coals, up and deflected from the lid, and onto the food. convection of heat and smoke.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with Grant. Mounting it opposite the SnS will promote proper airflow. I would then either cover the rest of the charcoal grate with foil or a DnG. That will force air through the SnS and that should give better control of themps. I'm not positive about that because I have always covered the rest of the grate.
      Last edited by RonB; June 8, 2019, 10:54 AM.

Hmm good ideas!

Comment

I think you want the fan port drilled just above and in between the ash sweepers and just below the charcoal grate on the non fire side. This allows you to use the ash sweepers during the cook if you need to (cover the meat to protect from flying ash) Block off the area under the meat with foil on the charcoal grate to direct all the fan air over to the fire. This also allows for ash to pile up in the bottom of the kettle while the fan port is still higher than the original vents, thus ash is less of a problem. Another advantage of a drilled port is that you can even slightly open the bottom vents so the fan is just making up a smaller difference in air flow and runs less.

Comment

Also. The fan adapter comes with a plug so to snuff out the fire you just slide off the fan and pop the plug on. Leaving the fan attached when off can cause heat to backup into it and eventually damage it, since it’s not occasionally sucking in cool air.

Comment

To all, I just picked up the Fireboard normally $189, 20% off at Scheel's in Appleton, WI!! $151 plus tax!!

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Now you can buy some meat with the $$ you saved. Congrats on a nice find.

Kathryn

I just installed one for my PartyQ. Since I use my SNS opposite the handle, I placed the adapter below the handle and I use an 18" pizza pan cut down for the drip pan. Haven't used it yet but hope it will be enough air flow. I use the PartyQ on my PBC.

Comment

Got the Pit Viper installed...gave the kettle a much needed cleaning so now I’m burning some hickory to get rid of all the cleaning materials and paint I sprayed the bare metal from the hole saw.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GroceryBoy View Post
              To all, I just picked up the Fireboard normally $189, 20% off at Scheel's in Appleton, WI!! $151 plus tax!!
              Dang that would have been nice. Looked all over for coupons but no joy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here