Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second try for the Fireboard and PitViper combination in winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second try for the Fireboard and PitViper combination in winter

The weather has been, well, immoderate since I gave my setup a first try. A deeply discounted chuck roast led me to quit worrying about the weather and try again.

The setup is a Smokenator 1000 equipped Weber Kettle, modified to allow Fireboard probe and a Pit Viper fan. Ambient temp for this smoke is 18F at start, about 22F during the day, plunging pretty hard after sundown to 16F. The roast was marinated in red wine, worchestershire, onion salt, and pesto overnight, pulled from the fridge 2 hours before smoking. Fuel was KBB, with cherry wood chunks embedded in the unlit coals, lit coals added per the Minion Method as usual for the Smokenator. No water in the water pan this time.

This is the roast at about 100F internal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-03-03 12.43.40.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	646004

Here it is when pulled from the fire at about 190F internal

Name:	2019-03-03 16.03.37.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	646005

And here's the final product after resting in a 200F oven for an hour or so:

Name:	2019-03-03 18.42.06.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	646006

Here's the Fireboard screenshot of the smoke:

Name:	2019-03-05 08.17.14.png
Views:	209
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	646007

You can see I stalled out for about an hour and a half at 147F. I worried, wondered, then raised the pit temp to 250 and wrapped the roast per Meatheads' instructions. Bumped through the stall nicely, but then the ambient temp made recovering from briquette additions more problematic. Overall, though, I'm quite pleased with the ability of the Fireboard/PitViper Combination setup to control pit temps even in these trying conditions.

Summary: It works, and works good. Oh, and the chuck roast was a crowd pleaser!

Regards.

Wish I had been part of the crowd. Looks great.

Comment

Glad it worked well and the food looks great.

I'm ecstatic I don't live where it's that cold. 31F here this morning. Same tomorrow and that should be the end of freezes for us.

Comment

I don't use my Webers without the Fireboard/Pit Viper combination for anything smoked. Nice looking chuck, bet it was good !!

Comment

Nice! I had mine running continuously all weekend long. I smoked a brisket, 8 Beef ribs and a whole pork belly in 45-sh hours. The temp at start up here was about 15 F and it was about -15 F when I ended, on Sunday night. I did have some ice build up in the fan at the very end, but by that point there was so much moisture that had gone through in the BGE, from all the meat, that I was not that surprised.

However, I was still impressed with the FB/PV and how they ran. (Not to mention the load of FOGO I used to power it all weekend!)

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            I have every cooker rigged for that controller combo. When the weather shifts you can barely tell looking at the temp probes. (You can by looking at the fan channel).

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, agreed. I also leave a probe outside the cooker to track the ambient temps. Nerdy, I know, but I find it interesting. Polarbear777

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Need to measure the outside temp so you can calibrate your expected fuel usage.

A very nice lookin' cook.

Comment

Spinnaker

of course one should always measure the ambient temp outside the cooker!

Click image for larger version  Name:	BEF90EC6-6634-43A7-A562-FDF009C73AB8.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	73.3 KB ID:	646335

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes! So I am not the only one! I love it!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here