Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CyberQ vs fireboard with fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CyberQ vs fireboard with fan

Im finally giving in amd thinking about getting a fan controller system for my kettle. Ive read a lot of threads here about fireboard and cyberQ and there seems to be a lot of love for fireboard but im struggling to actually figure the difference.

unless im messing up, cyberQ seems like it would be a decent bit cheaper than buying the fireboard, fan, and cable. What am i missing? Im not that bothered about having the graphs of my cooks so i dont mind logging into the site required for cyberQ.

Hey go for it, I've always heard good thing about the CyberQ. I just like the added features of the Fireboard, to me it's the perfect temp controller device on the market. The only thing it lacks is going probe wireless, I hate those pesky wires.

Comment

I have the older non wifi CyberQ and it does what it does very well. However, you will need to d/l the Pitpal app to view on your phone, (it's free). The one thing I really wish it had is an audible alarm for when it was out of the set temp range.

Comment

I have the CyberQ and it seems to work fine. I never even looked at the fireboard. I probably should have. I will make one comment about the Guru group in general and you can take it for what it's worth. I would give their customer service a C. This is specifically for after the sale. I own the CyberQ and their Shotgun Smoker.

As for the CybetQ, I'll admit is was cool checking my cook while I was at the grocery store. I changed the chamber temp while there. Sort of crazy when you think about it.

Rhett

Comment

I have never used the Cyber Q.

I like the FB because I can track all the cooks, leave notes, adjust temps, fan speed etc. I am sure you can do pretty much all of this with the Cyber Que as well. I am sure both units work equally as well. I also love the compact size of the FireBoard.

Here is a shot of one of my recent cooks. With graphs and Cook notes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 2.22.11 PM 2.png
Views:	1226
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	639893

Comment

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker thats really cool. Knowing myself though, i would never follow through on all the notes etc.

Really im looking for the most financially efficient thermostatic controller set up for a kettle. Dont really need bells and whistles, as it were. If im looking at the wrong products then any input is appreciated.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Tell you what, I have a DigiQx2 That I never use and I am willing to send you. It works fine, I just don't use it because I am using my FB. You'd have to buy the fan, but ill send you the controller and probes. If you don't like it, no problem, pass it on to someone else and get the Cyber Q or FB. It is bare bones but it works and it uses the Pit Viper, which you will need anyway. grantgallagher

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker thats above and beyond man. Ill PM you and we can work something out

One last comment and I'll shut my yap. There are a lot of controls available on the CyberQ that you may or may not use. I found the initial instructions (what came in the box) to be of poor quality. However, in fiddling around I found a more robust set of instructions that you can download. If you purchase the CyberQ, make sure you get those instructions. I'll send them to you if needed.

Comment

I believe you are a little more limited in terms of positioning the CyberQ. I believe jfmorris ran into this. If I recall it ended up working out just fine in the end.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              I found a spot on the front of my Performer that worked perfectly for the PartyQ. Even with the Fireboard you have to put a fan adapter hole somewhere on the kettle. I’ll be happy to share a pic of where I made the hole if anyone needs that info.

• Rod
              Rod commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris With the Fireboard you have a long power cable which gives more flexibility in placing the unit where you can more easily view it.

I’ve had both and though the fireboard app is a bit buggy it’s much easier to use than the cyberQ for remote controlling. Given the cost of the fireboard extra cables and fan driver cable the cyberQ is going to net cheaper.

I would also agree that the fireboard service folks are very responsive.

Though the both both will work well and both run the same types of blowers and I am a fan of the guru ones.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here