Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for all you Fireboard users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for all you Fireboard users

Do you use the lid detection setting? I believe it defaults to 7 minutes. In my experience (22inch kettle with fan mod) that is too long. Like all things with live fire cooking, there are many variables. I'm just wondering if anyone has found a "go to" setting that you usually default to.

Yes, and it is very useful when I have it on my BGE. Pretty sure mine is set to the default setting. I have never messed with it. I would leave it on though.

Comment

7 minutes was generally too long for me. I think my default now is 4 - but I'll adjust as needed during the cook depending on how long I think the lid will be open.

Comment

Mine is set to as low as it will go - 1 min. I've found that if you set it higher the controller won't kick the fan on until that set period of time which to me is counterproductive to getting back up to temp in the cooker.

Comment

Troutman I believe the intent is to counter the influx of oxygen introduced into the cooker after putting the lid back on. I've found 7 minutes is way too long. Actually as low as it can go is off!

I tend to set it at 2 minutes. Especially if I have the lid off for more than 30 seconds. It don't take long for the coals to get agitated!

Comment

You are correct the lower limit is OFF, but you can set it as low as one minute if it's ON which is what I meant.

As to what it's for it says right below the duration set point, "Lid detection will turn off your fan if a steep decline in temperature occurs (or lifting off the lid !!). The fan will remain off for the length of the durations in minutes." I interpret that to mean it gives your fan a rest while you have your lid off.

When I first got the Fireboard it was set to 7 minute default, I didn't know any better. What I found was it took 7 minutes for the fan to turn on after I lifted the lid and reduced the set temp. So I kept wondering as a result, why the heck the fan wasn't turning on to recoup and re-kindle the lost heat, so I fiddled around and found this setting and lowered it to 1 minute. It was driving me nuts, I kept trying to res-set and re-start the fan.

As I said, I want my fan blasting away to re-set my cook temp so waiting 7 minutes doesn't do me any good nor does it make sense. Of course not much of anything makes sense to me any longer anyway. Carry on.....

Comment

I have mine set to 3 minute in the WSCGC. This is for low and slow cooks though. Each cook and the settings are relative to the type of cook I am doing. Hotter cooks I will extend this setting as the rush of air will raise the heat pretty fast when I close the lid. Fan on too soon and kabam, overshoot... Not that that is a real problem in my cooker because it can recover very fast unlike an overshoot in a ceramic. This is a problem with a kamado or such where overshooting is a cool-down issue I guess.

The fan will not energize unless there is a call for heat in any case so I find this setting kinda funny, but I totally understand the premise behind it. The idea is when a lid is opened, you will get your rush of fresh air, yet loose temps at the same time cus you are sipping your brewsky gawking at your food. Once the lid is closed the heat ramp will be MUCH faster on the up-swing, and reach your set point much faster, and will indeed overshoot. If the fan has been running this whole time it don't help. If the fan is not running at all (7 minutes default), then you will be waiting. Gotta find the sweet spot with your cooker. Takes a lot of gawking, and a lot of beer. But it's just cooking...

Comment

In my cookers, which are pretty air tight, that setting has killed the fire after opening the lid. I keep it turned off.

Seems like if your temp rises because you opened the lid then once it exceeds your setting, the fan will turn off anyway. Seems to me there’s no need to force the fan to stay off if the controller is doing what it is supposed to do?

Maybe I’m missing something. Maybe a ceramic overshoot is more unrecoverable?

Comment

I've been mulling this over, I think it really has to do with the type of cooker you're using. My Weber kettle and WSMs all act about the same way, when I take the lid off a large amount of heat escapes, especially in the kettle. That's shown as spikes on my graph which generally fall at least 20 degrees, depending on the amount of time the lid is off obviously. I've never had a spike upward unless it's cooking hot or it's a large fire that's just caught and is raring to go. So again, for me, it's all about a quick recovery, I want that fan and controller to do its job and stabilize my temp upward.

Interesting, I'm glad I got some differing perspectives because I too didn't appreciate the use of that feature, although for me it's not all that necessary as Polar concludes above.

Comment

I messed around with mine on my Primo XL. I found the shorter times actually overshot my temp. And the fan can increase temp, but it's can't lower it. Since the Primo is almost always at full heat sync when I have food on it, it gets back to temp in about 2 minutes, then if it's not, the fan kicks on 5 minutes later to add the extra air it's calling for. I think it's less necessary on ceramic cookers that quickly get back to temp, but that's just a guess.

Tldr, I have it at 7 minutes on my Primo.

Comment

There you have it. Sounds like definitely yes no maybe🤓

Comment

• Polarbear777
                        Polarbear777 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Depends on the cooker. I absolutely don’t want it for the PBC fan, and it seems to not hurt or help in the pk or kettle. Ceramic it probably does help more.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here