Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all Smobot users...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all Smobot users...

I am flirting with Smobot MCS. I have seen a lot on of upside posts on the Smobot, so since nothing is perfect would you share what you see as a downside or limiting factor to the Smobot?

I have a 1st generation PartyQ and a four probe Igrill on which I only use an ambient prob and 1-2 meat probes. What would I gain by switching to the Smobot? What if anything would I loose?

Henrik

Comment

Fellow Pit Members, I've done my first dry run with the smobot, which I purchased the other day (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/accessorize-your

Comment

So, let's see if I can summarize. Overall I think it made my grilling life a lot easier. I always run it with a so called 'power bank' (portable battery with usb connections, typically used for recharging phones when on the move). If you have an outlet anywhere near your grill, then just plug it in there. But the fact that it runs on batteries is brilliant. It uses very little power, as it only adjusts now and then, and when it is 'locked in', not much is happening.

Drawbacks:
        - It only has two food probes. It doesn't seem to be a limitation for you, but nevertheless.

- I think (but haven't verified) that the food probes are 5 degrees off. Need to check this. It is most likely my probes, on my device, only.

- Once or twice the 'open lid detector' has failed. Basically it detects when you open the lid, and as soon as it is closed the Smobot shuts the top vent for a while to avoid temps running away (due to the current influx of air). I was standing by the grill and noticed that it never opened the vent again, even though the temp was dropping steadily. This could be fixed in a future firmware update, OR you can simply disable the 'open lid detector' on the device. That's what I did. Not a big issue in other words.

- The main unit isn't waterproof. Not an issue for me, I simply place it underneath the grill. Another option would be to put it in a plastic box/cover.

Overall I think the advantages by far outweigh the drawbacks, but we all have different grilling needs, so hopefully this post could clear some things up. Otherwise, just keep asking questions and I'll see if I can't help out.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Henrik

• WVsmoke
          WVsmoke commented
          Editing a comment
          The technology and usage is inviting. Your review is informative but I am curious if you have any insight into the durability of the moving parts of the product given usage conditions under roof yet still exposed to the weather?

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm gonna have to get back to you on that subject this summer, when I've had it for a length of time. The only moving part is the little servo and the lever, so not many things can break. And I've already dropped it once...

I posted some time back about my inkling to get a temp controller for my Primo 300. I was a bit leery about the whole excess technology getting in the way of the live fire experience thing and asked for opinions. I think it was Spinaker or Huskee who said if he wanted to play with fire, he'd go out back and set something ablaze. Otherwise, they liked a good nights sleep knowing a controller was on duty. Good advice.
        I know EdF has always championed Smobot, and after Henrik posted his great write-up of his experience with that controller, I took the plunge and ordered one up. Well, it's a whole new ball game! That thing delivers as advertised. After the easy set-up, I did a dry run picking a random temperature at 260. Bingo--the Smobot went a bit above the target, then went a bit low and then settled in for the long run with only a few degrees variance. Next I threw on some beef short ribs done up with Hanks beef rub and dialed up 250. No problem for hours. When the short ribs came off I increased temps up to 375 for some roasted cauliflower and the Smobot delivered.
        It came with the features I was wanting/needing--wifi enabled and able to archive cooks to the cloud. Two temp probes are adequate for me as it's just the two of us eating. I'm one happy camper. If you have a ceramic grill, consider a Smobot.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Twasn't me, my preference is the less tech the better (other than thermometers). I will never use a controller in my fire cooks. But it sounds like you are happy and that's all that maters to each of us!

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          That might have been me, I can't remember. LOL. However, I use a controller a lot in the winter on my BGE. And I love it. Great to hear the Smo Bot is working for you! They are a real treat when you are cooking in the cold!

That's great to hear, I'm glad you like it. It seems your experiences match mine. It sure is a handy little helper!

Comment

If you have one of the new BGE top vents, the Smobot won't fit it. But they tell me they are working on a fix for that right now.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here