Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Fireboard arrived midcook! (Impressions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Fireboard arrived midcook! (Impressions)

I still have my CyberQ and was finishing what is to be my last cook with it. But my new Fireboard Extreme BBQ edition arrived in the middle of me cooking four spare ribs. I don't know if this is their normal SOP, or if they monitor this board or something, but it was Fedex'd to me, even tho I only paid for regular mail. Either way, thanks, FB!

I immediately configured it and put the probes on mid cook!

First impressions:
    1. Much smaller than the CyberQ, FWTW.
    2. It can run on battery, although they recommend using power if you are driving a fan.
    3. I love how easy it was to configure everything, including the Wifi, with Bluetooth.
    4. I like how I can do everything in the app.
    5. I like how I can configure separate alerts for everything, AND that I can have the ping me in the app, via email AND via SMS!

Check out the screenshot of my current cook! I have four spare ribs, each being cooked separately. They're all approaching "ready," but not quite there yet. You can see in there that I've set alarms for 203F for each one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3FD9183EF78F-1.jpeg
Views:	1461
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	621377

In SHORT, I think it's a way better product than the CyberQ for me. Hence, I'm returning said CyberQ.

I DON'T like that I need the fan controller cable, and I like even less that it is out of stock, so I'll be fan-less while I'm waiting for that. I know the G2 Chubby is pretty solid even w/o the fan, but I'm spoiled already.

I also understand that they chose to do it this way because they made do other smart accessories, although right now I can't figure out what that might be.

Attached Files

So you need to buy a special fan cable to plug say your BBQ Guru fan into it?

Comment

• wcpreston
      wcpreston commented
      Editing a comment
      Check out my comment below.

• wcpreston
      wcpreston commented
      Editing a comment
      BTW, it should be noted that BBQ Guru (for some stupid reason) says their fan warranty is void if you plug it into the Fireboard. Besides being a stupid business decision, it's a violation of federal law.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      It the same price as the Cyber Que set up in the end. FB jsut offers the Unit with or with out the fan cable set up. Attjack

Regarding the requirement to get the cable, it should be noted that the Fireboard (without the cable) is way cheaper than the CyberQ that doesn't need the cable. So it's actually kind of a wash. Even with the fan and cable, it's about the same price as the CyberQ.

The basic Fireboard w/2 cables is $189
    The basic CyberQ w/2 cables is $267

Fireboard w/2cables, fan cable, and Fireboard Fan that fits many smokers: $327.95
    CyberQ w/2 cables, Viper medium fan, and adapter for your smoker: $339.00

You could also mix/match:
    CyberQ w/2 cables, + Fireboard Fan: $267 + $59.95

Comment

Yep .... Fireboard + fan cable + fan is not more expensive than CyberQ ..... But, the idea that you can get the FB + fan cable and then get whatever fan you want is pretty slick. You can't do that with CyberQ. I like that industry wide compatibility and the flexibility it gives me.

Comment

• wcpreston
        wcpreston commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you misread my post. It's LESS expensive, even with the cable.

And you actually can do that with CyberQ. They just don't advertise it any more than Fireboard does.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        👊👊

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        wcpreston sorry, I should have clarified that I was addressing Attjack :-)

Great to hear you like it! (For the most part anyway.) Once you see how well the FB Drive runs that Chubby, you will be all in.

Comment

I have a DigiQ DX2 and a Pit Viper fan. I was thinking that one day I might pick up a Fireboard and plug my fan into it. I didn't realize it was going to cost me another $80 and void the warranty on my fan.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          The truth is that I bought my DigiQ and fan second hand so I don't actually have a warranty. But I'm disappointed yo learn the price of a Fireboard essentially just went up by $80.

• wcpreston
          wcpreston commented
          Editing a comment
          That is disappointing, true. But it's price, including the adapter, is now roughly the same as the CyberQ if you were considering that.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for making this thread it answered my Fireboard questions. I'll probably end up with a new Maverick to use with my DigiQ. But I'm in no hurry.

Dug up my email from over a year ago about the old FireBoard Drive cable when several of us on this board bought one. The problem I think is that they call it a cable. The thing is actually way more sophisticated than that. It "is" the drive to your fan. The FireBoard unit itself has none of this capability. But as noted, and we noted it way back, the overall cost of comparable units are all about the same, except you get 6 ports with the FireBoard. I'll bet (and I don't know for sure) that 90% of all sales of the FireBoard are to folks who will never ever use or even want the fan capabilities. So this is the path the company took. One thing I never cared for is the FireBoard fan. They use the Auber, I like the Viper MUCH better. Just leave the baffle fully open and let the cable do the work. You will love it!

Let FireBoard take control of your Smoker!

FireBoard Driveâ„¢

We are getting very close to the first release in our FireBoard Driveâ„¢ line of products. Production of the FireBoard Driveâ„¢ Fan Cable is in its final stages.

The Fan Cable is much more than a cable -- its a mini board packed with tons of features. Here is everything that the Fan Cable can do:
        • Variable Speed fan control
        • Drives almost any 12V fan, up to 1.5A* (most 12V fans' connectors use a standard 2.5mm barrel plug)
        • Powers the fan from FireBoard's battery power!
        • Also supports standard 12V power supply input
        • Embedded speaker to provide audible alerts completely independent from phone / cloud
        • Charges the FireBoard battery (and keeps it running) when 12V power is provided
        * 1.5A max power requires 12V power input. Detailed power / amperage specifications coming soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	621425

Of course, all these features allow you to easily control your charcoal or wood fired smoker from the cloud using your FireBoard app. The Fan Cable plugs into your existing FireBoard through the auxiliary port, so all FireBoards have the capability of being a controller by simply adding the Fan Cable and a simple OTA firmware update.

We've been having fun using FireBoard Driveâ„¢ on our kettle grills, offsets, and kamado cookers!

Comment

If the fireboard main unit sends a 12v signal to the fan cable, it will be easy to make your own. This plan will NOT allow the external power source to charge or power the main unit and will NOT have variable fan speed. but it will cost $10-$15 unless you have a 12v wall wort at at least 2 amps output already, in which case leas than $10. The unit sends a low amp signal, which opens the relay, which powers the fan. Again no speed control and no charging ability. But cheap. And ugly.

Comment

• SmokeyGator
            SmokeyGator commented
            Editing a comment
            Assuming the controller sends a 12v signal. If it sends a lower voltage it could still work, with the right relay. And if the controller connector is three (or more) pins, charging of the battery is possible, if you know which pin does that. But then things start to get complicated unless you are experienced in such things. If the PID is on the cable, forget it. Still possible, but more as a "because I can" thing. At a greater cost because raspberry pi or arduino required.

• wcpreston
            wcpreston commented
            Editing a comment
            Now if we only knew the pinout of the cable

• SmokeyGator
            SmokeyGator commented
            Editing a comment
            It looks like an 8 pin mini-DIN. Which is interesting. I suspect only a few pins are used. One has to be the ground, one for fan control, and one for charging. But is there anything else?

Here are my ongoing results today with Chubby G2, Fireboard and Viper Fan. I have the Fireboard cable. Set point is 235. The first drop in temp is when I put the roasts and butts on. The second big drop was when I opened up and pulled out the grates for both butts and the roast to check on status. Also to add another grate with 3 racks of baby backs. Recovery time was about 24 minutes. Would have been much less if not for the addition of the cold ribs. Left home for 3 hours during this cook.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot (2).png Views:	1 Size:	97.7 KB ID:	622205
          Last edited by jlazar; January 12, 2019, 02:43 PM.

Comment

The absolute beauty of the FireBoard/Drive cable is the variable fan speed. No other system that I know of does that I believe. May be wrong, but the very reason for the baffle in the viper fan itself is because that system runs the fan either on or off.

Comment

The Fireboard is incredible. I have to say, I left mine sitting out in the rain for a number of hours one day (after a cook the day before). I brought it in, left it to dry for a few days, then powered it up, and it has been fine. I would recommend this, as I know it isn't supposed to be waterproof or even "rain resistant", but I was super pleased I didn't have to spend another $200 on a new one - and I would have!

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                I live near Seattle ... in fact, I live in one of the rainiest places in Western WA that you can, shy of living on the Olympic Peninsula. I get approximately 70” rain per year at my house. I have never bought the FB cover and I routinely cook with the FB in wet weather. If it is really bad, I stick the FB inside a sandwich bag.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here