Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controlling Pit Viper Fan w/Fireboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would get the Extreme BBQ Edition if I had to do it all over again. You get so many probes that all eventually fail. So you won't need to order new probes for a long time. The speaker is not needed as the app sends you notifications.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Rod.

Comment

I use the medium pit viper fan with my Fireboard on my 26 inch kettle and never had an issue.

Comment

Here's my most recent cook. 7 pound butt hot and fast.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-07-05-10-13-11.png
Views:	1380
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	707928

Comment

• ColonialDawg
            ColonialDawg commented
            Editing a comment
            Incase folks are wondering about the spike in the meat temp at around 12:00 from 90-150 degrees - that’s the point where I actually inserted the meat probe. I don’t check my meat temp until I have the crust and color I want. At that point I wrap and insert the probe.

I love my Fireboard/Pit Viper setup. Extremely fool resistant, which is a critical operational element here. Yeah, it was pricey, but I’ve not missed the money. Good value.

Comment

Don’t worry about the fan warranty. It will either arrive dead OR work for years. There really isn’t much to it. Just 12v in.

Comment

I think the Pit Viper is the next tool on my list to add to the collection.

Comment

Hi...I have a humphreys DEB which is slightly bigger than the mini but smaller than the large. I use the pit bull. It does ramp up faster, but is not necessary. Often I have out throttled down with the slider. At full bore it can overshoot.
                If you use the smaller it will just take longer to preheat, but not much. Mid cook recovery will be more, but not that much. Many people don't even use a blower and recover just fine.

printed circuit board
                Last edited by GwynEaves; December 12, 2019, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Just adding to this that I had the FireBoard before I had a fan, so I purchased the fan that FireBoard offers. I love my FireBoard, and the Drive cable and program work great as designed, but I have had an impossible time getting a proper seal from the FireBoard fan. When it’s off, no air should go through. But whether it’s an installation error on my part or a problem with the fan, air IS going through, and I have to resort to removing the fan to drive temperatures down to low-and-slow levels or to choke out the fire. This, of course, defeats the entire point of having the fan. If I can’t get this straightened out with FireBoard I am probably going return the FireBoard fan to get a PitViper based upon the feedback of others here, because it sounds like their motors seal very well with adapters.

Comment

While we are talking FireBoard they have come out with new controllers. You will no longer have to buy the cable everyone complains about as they are offering a new controller where the 12v fan plugs directly into the unit. The bad news is that controller is $60 higher than the standard controller. Looks like a nice unit.

All the features of the FireBoard 2 with the addition of an integrated Drive technology to maintain precise temperature control via a 12v fan.Included in box: FireBoard FBX2D Thermometer, USB-C PD Charger, Ambient Probe, 2 Food Probes, Grill Clip, Quick Start Guide. FireBoard Blower sold se

BTW, For those looking for the original FireBoard they are on sale, $30 off all their devices.

Comment

• BFlynn
                      BFlynn commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I was just looking at Fireboards and saw that the new version is coming out. It looks like the FB2 Drive has the port to directly power the fan unit. So, an FB2 Drive, and a Pit Viper Medium is right about $300, plus shipping and all that.

Might have to think about that.......

That's what I just put together. Pit Viper + Fireboard 2 Drive FB2. Made sense for me since my 26" Weber already had a port and cylinder connection for the Party-Q, which served me well for years. The Pit Viper will slot right in. The new combo with the SnS slow-n-sear should be a dream.

Comment

• BFlynn
                      BFlynn commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's what I added to my PBC. It's been great.

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      A Dream Machine indeed. Enjoy!

P.S. Medium or Large Pit Viper for that 26" kettle?

Kathryn

• BlueDun
                      BlueDun commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks,@fzxdoc Kathryn. The Pit Bull, large fan, pulls 25 cfm. Better for 26" and FB2 can throttle. I went big in case I get a larger pit. One thing at a time. I asked elsewhere how best to set 26" & SNS up for 325. Yes, the fan will get the temp, but it's faster & efficient to start with manual setting and coals that would get close to temp. Thoughts?

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here