Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controlling Pit Viper Fan w/Fireboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlling Pit Viper Fan w/Fireboard?

I know I read something on here with people doing this, but now I'm looking at the Fireboard page, and it tells me that the fan control bit is an accessory that ships this month? Do you really need that dongle? The dongle alone is like $80!

Since I'm returning the Cyber-Q anyway -- and Guru said they would void my warranty if I use the Viper w/the Fireboard -- I think I'm just going to return the whole thing and use the $60 fan that Fireboard sells.

Any reason not to?

Comment

You have to have the Fireboard fan cable, and yes - it is pricey. A lot however do buy just the Pit Bull or Pit Viper fan and use that with the Fireboard. If you buy just the fan, I don’t think they have to know or care what you use it with.

Personally I like the mount and adapters offered by guru - depending on what grill you have they may work better than the Fireboard option.

Comment

• wcpreston
        wcpreston commented
        Editing a comment
        Just to confirm. I need the fan cable regardless of what fan I use, right? Seems to match what Polarbear777 is saying below. You're just saying a lot of people use the Guru funs w/the cable.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, you must have that fan drive cable, no matter what fan you use.

The guru pit viper fan can be controlled with the fireboard just fine (I have a fan and adapter on everything I use) I don’t like the square mount fan that fireboard sells, more because making a 1” hole and using the guru fan port adapter is easy, very secure and allows you to still use the ash sweepers if you mount it in the right place on a Weber (works fine for pit barrel also, and acually slides right into a pk360 intake as well).

You do need to get the "drive" cable for the fireboard to drive any fan.

I believe most of these type of fans are 12V and the only control is analog voltage to them so everything should work fine, even a different fan, so long as it isn’t a different max voltage.

the fireboard also has some settings you can tweak if you have an overly large or unusual fan set up.

Comment

I just did a 23-hour cook with mine. temp stayed really flat at 225 F. the FireBoard Drive works very well.

I was at work when the cook finished, so I turned the temp down to 185 F. I held it in the BGE for a few hours, till I got home.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Image 1-7-19 at 2.46 PM.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	160.9 KB ID:	620385

Comment

• wcpreston
        wcpreston commented
        Editing a comment
        But you have a fan and the cable, right? It just seems that $90 for just a cable seems pretty high.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the cable and the fan. I have the Pit Viper fan. Yeah, it is not cheap. But for me, the convenience factor is well worth it. wcpreston

Yes, once again, you need the cable to run the fan. The Fireboard unit has no place to plug a fan into it so the cable is that conduit, period. If you choose to use their fan or buy the Pit Viper fan you must have somewhere to plug the fan into. The other nice thing about the fan cable is that it comes with an external AC plug in so you are continuously charging your Fireboard while it simultaneously controls your fan.

Trust me, it's a big investment, probably close to $400 if you buy the ultimate Fioreboard package, fan cable and some sort of fan, but it's well worth it. It literally changes the way you cook. I mean look at the graph above and mine below. The cook temps are rock solid, you don't even need to worry about it. That allows you to concentrate on cooking the product.

Also, I don't know why BBQ Guru would tell you the warranty would be void on their fan if used with a Fireboard. I've run that unit tandem for close to 2 years with no problems. The fan just runs off the variable signal sent by the Fire Board the same as their unit does. They're probably mad you're returning the Cyber-Q, sounds like soar eggs to me.

Now jump down off the fence and bite the bullet and get that fan cable. You will thank us !!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket cook.jpg
Views:	8191
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	620468

Comment

I do have the cable. For me, it's worth it. It is so easy. Sure it is "just a cable". But with that cable you can cook and control your pit from anywhere. It allows you to be much more flexible with your cooking. To me, that $90 is money very well spent.

The cook above was for a party last night, but I didn't have time to cook during the day on Monday as I had to be at work Monday. So I hooked up the cable and fan on Sunday and let it rip all night into Monday. I opened lid only when I came home for lunch. That was the only time I even opened the lid in 23 hours of cooking. The meat was cooked, rested and served by game time last night. All while I was at the office. For $90, I can live with that.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          You mean by the monkey stomp last night. Your buddies must flock to your house !!!

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, that game got out of hand. Too bad, I was looking for a closer game. Troutman

Hey Spinaker, how do you toggle on the information just below you title and above your notes? I don't get that on my computer screen, here's all I get ......

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fireboard Comp Image.jpg Views:	1 Size:	140.2 KB ID:	620485

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I took that picture as the cook was still going on. Once you end it, the numbers fall off.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh ok, good to know. I've never had the website running during a cook, just my iphone.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I usually have it running in the background on my desktop. In this case, I was at work, so I was watching it on my desktop. Amazing when you really think about it. Troutman

Polarbear777 I already have the Pit Viper fan and adapter from BBQ Guru. I was considering the Fireboard fan because I was incensed by BBQ Guru telling me they will invalidate my warrantee if I plug it into the Fireboard, which is ridiculous AND a violation of the 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/chapter-50 . (A vendor has to prove that what you did caused the malfunction. Proving that plugging a DC power supply cord into a DC power supply, as long as the voltage and amperage are fine, is going to be a bit hard.)

I also thought it would be "native," and would not require the $79 cable. It's not, and it does.

So I'm keeping my Viper Fan and adaptor, and purchasing the Fireboard and adapter cable. But now I'm upset at FB for charging me $40 for shipping, which is ridiculous.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to hear they took care of the shipping cost error. The Pit Viper fan works great with the FB. When you get everything, let us know, and we will make sure you get everything set up right for your first cook!

Just to make you feel better I had a cyberQ and that’s why I had all their fans and mounts. Once I got the fireboard the cyberQ hasn’t been powered on.

Theres nothing wrong with the CQ. The logic is actually better for control but the fireboard app is easier to interface with than cyberQ website etc interfaces.

They both are buggy when over WiFi, which is a wash.

Comment

• wcpreston
          wcpreston commented
          Editing a comment
          I just found it clunky. And didn't like having any actual alerts. I can can get emails, but that's not the same.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm curious about your statement "the logic is actually better for control" Polarbear777. How so? I find the FB to have excellent control.

I have a new WSM 22. I just got the Fireboard and after reading this, will get a viper fan and adapter (looks easy to install!). What size viper fan do I get? They have a medium and large - I'm thinking medium is all I need.
        Last edited by MarkD; July 3, 2019, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkD View Post
          I have a new WSM 22. I just got the Fireboard and after reading this, will get a viper fan and adapter (looks easy to install!). What size viper fan do I get? They have a medium and large - I'm thinking medium is all I need.
          Medium is all you need, that is what I use on all of my rigs. The large fan is more for the big cabinet rigs or an offset.

You are going to be happy with the set up. It works great with all of my smokers.

Comment

• MarkD
            MarkD commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I just ordered the cable from Fireboard. Fan is next....

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool man! You should be happy with it. I know I am. It works like a charm. MarkD

Just saw the video from Fireboard on drive programs. Looks easy to set up. Anyone using it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkD View Post
            Just saw the video from Fireboard on drive programs. Looks easy to set up. Anyone using it yet?
            I have been using it for over a year now. It is really easy to set up. Just plug in, set your desired temp and let it rip.

Comment

• Rod
              Rod commented
              Editing a comment
              Spinaker I think he was asking about the new ability to create programs with the drive? I haven't found a need for that personally. MarkD

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Ah, yes......yeah I have not seen the need for it either but I’m curious, I guess. Rod could be interesting.

I have the DigiQ & Pit Viper fan but am seriously considering getting the Fireboard to control the Pit Viper fan. I keep seeing posts like the ones above, looks to really work well. I have also seen others post links to live cooks too! Have y'all had many technical issues with the Fireboard setup, Wifi, etc...

As for what items to purchase, I would need the basic unit and the drive fan control cable right? I also see that they have a fan control cable with speaker? Does anyone have this, do you find it useful?

Last edited by JoeInTX; July 4, 2019, 12:14 PM. Reason: Added questions on what to purchase from Fireboard.

Comment

• fttank
              fttank commented
              Editing a comment
              That's exactly what I did and I'm very happy I did. Not only do you get control of your cooker temp remote, but the FireBoard logic drives the fan much more efficiently for tighter temp control. The FireBoard and Pit Viper Fan is a great setup.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here