Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit Viper + kettle: initial hassle then smooth sailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit Viper + kettle: initial hassle then smooth sailing

Hi all,

I decided to do a test run with the FireBoard + Pit Viper fan today. It was a dry run, i.e. I didn't cook anything. I mounted the Pit Viper on my kettle and hooked up the FireBoard. I chose this combo (or rather, the fan) so I didn't have to buy yet another device. Instead, I can use the FireBoard to drive my fan. Excellent! And it runs on the builtin battery too. Even better.

I had some initial issues with getting the fan to run. Newbie mistake #1: it really helps if one switches mode from "Off" to "Auto". Doh! But I had to do 2-3 reboots before it started running smoothly. On the 3rd reboot I did a reset of wifi settings. After that it was smooth sailing to say the least. I assume it should work without wifi too. Can anyone else confirm/deny?

I let it run with the Slow 'N Sear loaded with briquettes, and I set the "set point" (i.e. target temp) to 130° C (265° F). See chart below. I literally didn't touch it for 4 hours, and it is still running. Man, I could get used to this! So far, two thumbs up from me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pit Viper-chart.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	614973

Wow! That is very impressive. I've been thinking about a fan set-up for my 26 for a while now. This looks very appealing.

Comment

Now you know how well it'll work you gotta cook something.

Comment

Thanks for the write up Henrik I'm waiting for FB to get more fan controller cables in stock so I can run my newly acquired Pit Viper on my BGE. Really looking forward to it.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          You'll be pleased!

Here's another chart, now a lot later. This thing rocks!

Now I'm running out of fuel, hence the higher fan speed. Will shut it down now. Experiment succeeded.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chart.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	615058

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          8 hours awesome consistency.

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Now I'm REALLY excited to get mine rolling.

That is, indeed, Most Impressive, Brother!

How many lit did ya start with, guessin standard low n slow setup of 10-12 lit?

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Correct. Standard SnS operation mode, no fancy stuff.

How do you compare the overall experience with BGE+Smobot? Curious since you have both setups.

Comment

Good question! I love the Smobot. It is awesome! I use it all the time on my Big Green Egg. I then use my FB+PitViper for the kettle. Just seems a better match. The engineer in me likes the Smobot better, since it does exactly what I would do. I.e. no forced operation (the fan). But both get the job done. If you have a kamado I recommend the Smobot. If you have a kettle, then the Pit Viper. I’ve use the latter with my kamado also, but like I’ve already mentioned...

To each his own though. If you have different preferences or experiences, I’d love to hear them. I am relatively new to this controller gizmo scene.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. Sounds like each has its best places!

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Correct!

Do you have a picture or the installed position? I assume under the charcoal grate but just above the ash sweepers? If you don’t use a drip pan of some sort, does the airflow still get under the SNS?

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            There are several posts describing this. You have to get opposite the SNS missing the sweep of the ash blades. There is a sweet spot.

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            I did a post recently about it, you can find it here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...a-weber-kettle

I just put this together for some added detail.

I post this in an attempt to help our newbies (to which I once was a short time ago) not feel so overwhelmed on the topic of selecting a cooker that is right for them. There are a lot of “looking for advice on a cooker” posts from newbies and seasoned vets looking to expand their arsenal. Obviously, the choices and opinions

Comment

It will work through Bluetooth without wi-fi, but with limited range. When wi-fi is working you can be across town and still monitor the action.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Correct. Also if you loose WiFi then regain it your cooks get auto up loaded to the cloud. These guys have thought through almost everything. If you don’t have one, GET IT !!!!!

• Larry Grover
              Larry Grover commented
              Editing a comment
              Troutman Actually you're the reason I bought one. No regrets, awesome device and great customer service.

Henrik, I had trouble doing what you are doing until I closed the Pit Viper damper to 15/64" (on a drill bit) for 230-250* and 7/16" for 350*. I was using a very tight 22" Performer.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I never touch the Pit Viper damper, rather control air flow with the top vent. But each to his own if it works for you.

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Sam here (as @Troutman). I never touch the pit viper damper, only use the top vent.

I just hate to choke the smoke to control temps; I leave the lid vent wide open. But as you say, if it works for you...

Comment

Now don't you wish you had slapped a hunk of meat in that kettle?

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                I do. Next time though...

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here