Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CyberQ and Fireboard or just CyberQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CyberQ and Fireboard or just CyberQ

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting at adding some accessories to my Kamado and want some input regarding the CyberQ and Fireboard offerings. Does anyone here see the point in getting a Fireboard if I am ultimately going to just get a Cyber Q down the line? Is the Fireboard temp control and app that much better to warrant buying both?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Check this one out. http://www.smobot.com . I invite Henrik to attest!

And here's a rib cook (just the pit temps):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 2.27.30 PM.png Views:	1 Size:	29.7 KB ID:	609307
    Last edited by EdF; December 18, 2018, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I have a DigiQ DX2. I also have my old Maverick 732 which gives me two more probes. At first, I would use the Maverick with the DigiQ and be able to monitor 3 portions of meat. But I quickly switched to just putting the DigiQ into the meat I thought would complete first and using a Thermapen to check the status of the others.

I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy a fireboard. But for now, it just doesn't do much for me. The big bonus would be WiFi but I have my system for that too.

Comment

I have never used the Cyber Que. But I have nothing but good things to say about the FireBoard. It holds temps very solid and having the ability to have a number of probes, in one package, is quite nice.

I love having the graph feature and being able to log my cooks. You can index all of them and keep everything organized. I like being able to go back and look at my old cooks to see what I did last time. The Wifi function is really nice as well. I can watch and change me cook from anywhere I need too. Which, admittedly, is not that often, but it is nice to have the flexibility to do so.

I would not buy both, I would buy one or the other. I went with FireBoard.

Comment

• TDuckro
        TDuckro commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Spinaker, do you also use any kind of fan attachment to regulate, or just handle all that yourself?

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I do both. I use the FireBoard Drive Cable when I want to go hands off. It runs the BGE solid as a rock for hours and hours. I have it paired with a Pit Viper draft fan. I can pot a graph of my last cook so you can see how solid it runs. I do run B&B charcoal or FOGO. And I think the lump makes a difference as well. TDuckro

If you get a Fireboard, I imagine you would just want to get its fan control cable, and a fan such as the Pit Bull or Pit Viper, and not a CyberQ as well. The advantage of the Fireboard is that it offers up to 6 channels of monitoring. The CyberQ has just grate/air temp, and one meat probe.

If you want a wireless thermometer than can monitor things when NOT using the fan, as well as when using the fan, and monitor more than one piece of meat, or even monitor 2 smokers at once (I've done this with my Smoke!), then the Fireboard is the way to go.

If you want an easy to use temp controller that has some cool features, and will only ever be cooking with the fan (low and slow), and only monitor one item, then the CyberQ is a good way to go. I think it offers some better control features for the fan, but is just limited on temp probe inputs. I just ordered a PartyQ this morning, and briefly considered the DigiQ, which is the same as the CyberQ, but without the wifi and cloud functionality. Since I have a Smoke with wifi to monitor with, I ended up just getting the PartyQ to have control over pit temperature.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with this assessment, get the PartyQ if you have a good thermo device to probe your meat with, otherwise do a Fireboard, cable and Pit Viper fan. Just be prepared to shove out about $350 for the latter purchase !!

• wcpreston
        wcpreston commented
        Editing a comment
        FWIW, the CyberQ supports up to three meat probes, but it only comes with one.

Thanks all, so at this point I think I am going to go with the Smobot if it fits my Kamado (still waiting on response from those guys) and if not, Fireboard and a PitViper. I prefer the idea of controlling the top vent as a Kamado is supposed to rather than forced induction. Plus the Smobot is cheaper...

Comment

I posted not to long ago somewhere when I started to look for a fan control for my wsm. I didn’t want to spend to much and thought I would browse around. I looked on eBay and low and behold I saw a digiq dx2 for a big green egg. Well not knowing if it would work for my 22 wsm, I took a gamble. Figured if it didn’t work at least I could get a cable for my fireboard and be off and running with just the fan.
        Well I ordered the cable from fireboard , and a vent attachment from bbq Guru also and then the digiq dx2 came. It was a whole complete unit that had the same Parts that I needed. Then I went and played with it. I use the fireboard cause of the extra probes but I really like it. Now I have a backup.
        So check around eBay and Craigslist. Ya might get lucky.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	4D68FCE6-96DA-4FCB-9795-B185A19ED00E.png
Views:	189
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	609381

Comment

TDuckro I was just on the Smobot website, and under their FAQ, it says this:
          • Newly Supported! Vision Grills ceramic kamado
          Elsewhere, I found that Vision grills require THIS $30 adapter:

The SMOBOT Vision/Pitboss Kamado Adapter is CNC turned out of solid aluminum, anodized and finished for a beautiful look.  Attach a Type A or B damper for complete control of your Vision/Pitboss Kamado.  Ships with installation hardware and felt gasket to ensure a tight fit. SMOBOT Controller and Damper Sold Separately

You use a Type B damper and mount it to the adapter, then mount that to the Vision Kamado.

Hope that helps! I don't have a Kamado, but the Smobot website says they will be supporting Weber kettles and Smokey Mountain soon.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            klflowers my PartyQ is coming tomorrow, but I won't get it until Christmas Day, haha. That said, the Smobot costs more than double what I paid for the PartyQ on sale, so I am not going to worry about it.

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris, mine is a gift to me. My mom wants a brisket for Xmas, so i figure i'll be putting it to use right away. I figure with it and the Maverick XR50 and the old ET732, I should have everything covered; it may tamp actually down the savage MCS for awhile. Until the pellet urge comes back...

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            klflowers I am hoping the same thing. I want a pellet smoker, but the last cook on my Performer+SNS went 12 hours, and probably could have gone 13-14 on a single load of Weber charcoal. I think with the addition of temp control from the PartyQ, I will be able to resist the urge for a pellet smoker until I get my last kid out of the house in a year or two.

I have a CyberQ Cloud. I can say that if I had to replace it, I would go with Fireboard. Simply because FB offers an app. CyberQ requires you to use an actual website. Which means frequent logging on. Not a big deal, but for an item of convenience it becomes a thing.

Smobot is also a good option. It fiddles with the top vent so your kamado operates without forced air. And power requirements are silly low, so no 120vac needed. I think you can run it on any battery with USB ports. And it has an app. The only "disadvantage" I can see is that I would have to redesign my rain cap. My kamado isn’t under cover and of course when doing overnight long cooks it usually always rains. I would be concerned with the mechanism / servos that control the top vent.

Anyhow i like my CyberQ Cloud, it works well, but I think FB would have been a better choice. Unless BBQ Guru comes out with an app.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            I run my smobot on a power bank, and it works very well. No issue with battery time. That's the beauty of the smobot, that it requires very little power.
            Except for that, +1 on the Fireboard. Great device.

I have an auber controls fan and controller with wifi for my akorn. It does a great job and is very easy to use. I could see the need for more food probes but haven't needed it myself yet.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here