Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire board temp controller with big green egg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire board temp controller with big green egg?

Researching multi-probe thermometers I came across the FireBoard XL.

FireBoard has set a new standard in food thermometry. It is a remote read, cloud connected, data logger, with connections for up to six probes. It can communicate with a smart phone via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to monitor the temps of both cooker and food. It received our top rating for its full feature set and performance.

lt looks like an excellent temperature monitor/data logger.

Then I saw that FireBoard also provides a drive fan controller cable and a snap-on blower 20cfm.

i haven't seen that an interface exists (like an app) that allows for computer controlled management of the blower fan with inputs from the thermometer. Do any of you use the FireBoard to auto-control the pit temp of your BGE?

I use the Fireboard thermometer. It can run any fan via the controller cable (bought separately). The fireboard thermometer has an app, and you can set temp via the app. So you are in effect controlling the temp remotely.

I recently bought a Pit Viper fan to do just that. I've only used it 2-3 times so far, so too early to tell. I bought the Smobot controller also, and I've used it plenty more. It is just incredibly easy to use, and convenient.

I will give the pit viper a few more tries. Hopefully I can get it to maintain temp better. I will shut the top vent almost all the way next time, that should keep the fan running at 30-40 % all the time, which allows it to both increase and decrease air flow.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Duke139 As Henrik knows, I'm a big Smobot fan for cookers it works on (the BGE being one of them). The ability to run it on a battery pack is a winner. http://www.smobot.com .

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      I just looked at the smobot page and saw they are planning on making models for kettles and wsm's "later this year". Guess I know what my MCS budget will be used for next!
      Last edited by klflowers; November 12, 2018, 02:26 PM. Reason: Smobot, not smoke bot... Excitement

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I am completely sold on the Smobot. It really makes a big difference. I don't have to baby sit my grill anymore. It even makes my startup procedure easier (the first 30 minutes). I love it.

I have several controllers and my favorite for the Large Big Green Egg is the Smobot. They have their Apple app up and running and the Android is in beta version.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip! I haven't tried the app yet, will download it now.

This is my usual Smobot promotional thing - ribs on the LBGE:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 2.27.30 PM.png
Views:	1598
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	591979

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Flat-lined. The dips are from opening the top.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh Ed, why did you open it at all? I'm really amazed by that graph. What impresses me the most is the start where it comes down so fast. On my Vision Grill, when I overshoot it takes forever to get it back down. Closing the vent completely does not resolve the issue quickly. I am very impressed.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      What happened there was I started things up without the thing in place/activated. And I let it get away from me a bit. I was very impressed. Really, it's like what you'd do yourself with the top damper, but on autopilot. Think of like the movie "Airplane"!

The first peak is where I turned the device on, if memory serves (it may not).

With the smobot, how do you set the intake vent?

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF ?

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      They say half-open. I think I've done mostly between 1/8 - 1/4" - less than expected.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly what EdF said, 1/8 - 1/4. Their recommendation of half-open is way too much.

I can't wait to try something like the pending SmoBots on a kettle!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too, would love to try that!

Thanks for the smobot advice. I purchased one and so far I really like it!

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too! It's just really refined.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here