Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mounting a Pit Viper fan on a Weber kettle

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting a Pit Viper fan on a Weber kettle

Hi all,

I mounted a pit viper fan on my Weber kettle (22") today. It is really simple, but I thought I'd share some pics here, just in case it helps someone else.

What you need
    • A drill
    • A step drill bit (I drilled a 28 mm hole).
    • The pit viper adapter (duh...)
    • A metal file (to soften the edges of the newly drilled hole)

Instructions
    So, it should be mounted below the lower grate, and still not be in the way for the bottom vent 'blades'. I eyeballed it pretty much, but I also held the adapter in place with a finger to make sure I could still turn the bottom vent freely.

The pictures should illustrate pretty well, otherwise just fire off some questions and I'll see if I can't help and/or clarify.

The nice thing about the drill bit is you start small, and then keep pushing it in/down until the whole is the size you want. Wear ear protection, drilling in sheet metal like this makes one helluva noice. And protective goggles.

Also: drill from the inside out, not the other way around. Since the kettle is concave (looking from the inside), it is easier to get the drill to 'bite' or take without wandering off. If drilling from the outside, you're gonna have to create a small dimple with a center punch first. If you have the tools, it only takes seconds, but I'm a lazy guy, and drilling from the inside was quicker

Here's the 28 mm hole. As you can see it is very close to the bottom vent blades. This is to be able to mount it below the lower grate

Click image for larger version

Name:	PitViper-1.jpg
Views:	3312
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	576087

Here's a closeup. I still haven't polished the sharp edges.

Name:	PitViper-2.jpg
Views:	3150
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	576089

Here's what it looks like from the outside (still raw. I placed to the right of the vent grip, figured it was a smart place)

Name:	PitViper-3.jpg
Views:	3188
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	576085

Here you can see the inside of the adapter, with the air hole pointing downwards (important). The downward facing air outlet is what provides the clearance, i.e. the bottom vent blade almost goes 'under' the vent adapter.

Name:	PitViper-4.jpg
Views:	3091
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	576088

And here's the fan in place. Time to smoke some meat!

Name:	PitViper-5.jpg
Views:	3943
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	576086

Some comments

1. yes, that is a large dent you see in the upper left corner of the last photo. I bought it used off of craigs list.
    2. No, I didn't apply any rust sealant. Still pondering whether I should. Most likely. I think I will do that next weekend.

Very helpful to see what you've done. Looks like you drilled from the inside. I wonder if you started inside then moved to the outside to finish if you would get a cleaner hole? I would also love to see someone who has done this on their 26 before I do mine.

Comment

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a black 22. Drilled mine from the outside - pilot then step. When done, hit it with a light spray of high heat black enamel. Very clean look when finished.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I ended up drilling the pilot from the inside and then using a step bit from the outside and I got a perfectly clean hole on my 26.

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I have with my 26 and billows.

Where did you get that Pit Viper fan Henrik ?

Comment

Very cool, indeed, Brother!
    While I'm very much lookin forward to how it all works, I jus cain't bring myself to blow no holes in my Webers!
    Happy Smokin!

Comment

Great tutorial! Thanks Henrik. These set ups are really slick.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        They sure are!

Happy New Year Henrik! Which bbq guru did you match to the pit viper fan? I have a couple of 22 kettles too.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Happy New Year to you too! I use the FireBoard with my fan. No BBQ Guru products.

I see this is an older post but how do you plug the hole when not using the pit viper fan?

Comment

• stratfordwill
        stratfordwill commented
        Editing a comment
        My pit viper and adapter came with a silicone plug.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly, the adapter comes with a plug.

IC, the plug goes into the adapter, not the hole that was drilled.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly

Follow-up question for Henrik on this old thread. In a YT video you made on this subject you mentioned placing the port on the side of the kettle opposite of where you place the SnS and aiming the deflector so that air is directed down towards the bottom of the kettle. With a few more years experience is that still how you would do it? About to do this to my new Performer Deluxe and want to get it right. Thanks!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes it is. Wouldn’t change a thing 👊

It works much easier on the old Webers with the individual bottom vents. No hole drilling. Good job

Comment

Originally posted by RonR View Post
        Follow-up question for Henrik on this old thread. In a YT video you made on this subject you mentioned placing the port on the side of the kettle opposite of where you place the SnS and aiming the deflector so that air is directed down towards the bottom of the kettle. With a few more years experience is that still how you would do it? About to do this to my new Performer Deluxe and want to get it right. Thanks!
        Got a response from Henrik on YT - this is still his recommendation. Thanks Hank!

Comment

Anybody know if there are battery operated Pit Fans out there? While I'm not too keen on long overnight cooks, I could be tempted to try some day if it doesn't involve running extension cords. No outlets near my grill area! Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            I plug the fan into my FireBoard 2 thermometer and it runs many hours on the built in battery if that counts.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here