Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I be using ramp mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I be using ramp mode?

Can you explain to me why I might was to use ramp mode on my DigiQ DX2?

I don't use mine, never really thought it was needed being it tells you when it is done

Comment

I have never used it either, but I've never cooked ramps.

Comment

• customtrim
        customtrim commented
        Editing a comment
        Bet you do alot of ham

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment

Only thing I can think of is if there is an unexpected temperature spike or some other factor that shortens cook time, and you aren’t awake or you are away from home to notice it. You may overcook the food, or dry it out. Ramp mode will sense the end of the cook is near and ramp down the cooker temperature automatically.

Comment

• customtrim
        customtrim commented
        Editing a comment
        But using it in a ceramic, the fan will shut down but the heat will continue for a little while and stay for a long time. I am never gone when it is close to finishing.

• customtrim
        customtrim commented
        Editing a comment
        I also dont believe that it can detect probe tender if you have your temp set to 195 and it is still not tender it will be shutting down when you dont want it to

Click image for larger version

Name:	D419A110-EB14-4B2A-9C76-D4D5A0BD019F.png
Views:	203
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	559548 I decided to try ramp mode on my CyberQ with an overnight pork butt. Scale is chopped off on the left, but I had a 225 set point on the controller with a target of 205 for the butt. Woke up this AM to find the controller inexplicably INCREASING temp. I turned off ramp mode and It immediately returned to normal. I’ll not be using ramp mode again.

Comment

• SmokeyGator
        SmokeyGator commented
        Editing a comment
        I get the same thing sometimes. My working theory is that the fire reaches a wood chunk, which being in an oven for hours is super ready to burn. My wife was outside one morning and said the cookers was smoking up a storm. And yup, a spike was recorded.

• Pequod
        Pequod commented
        Editing a comment
        Not in this case. Not using wood chunks (KK hot/cold smoker). The fan was running open and actively stoking the temp until I turned ramp mode off.

Since it’s supposed to lower the temp to meat the setting you pick for the meat, it seems like it either will do very little or make the cook take longer.

Plus. Temp is done-ness for steaks, but for BBQ temp is only an indicator of when to start checking for tenderness/bark.

I turn off everything (lid detect) etc., because I have a hard enough time getting the controllers to do what I expect.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here