Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a Pit Viper to pair with my Fireboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a Pit Viper to pair with my Fireboard

Hi guys,

I have no MCS, I can quit anytime I want . I just sold my Thermoworks Smoke + gateway, got tired of it. I'm sticking to my trusty Fireboard. I love it.

Now, I'm an old school guy, so I have never used a PID controller to control temps. Ever. BUT, I do have the Fireboard, and it can run a fan via its 12V output. So, I figured, why not get a Pit Viper fan? Mind you, this is not MCS, I really need it.

Either way, all I need to purchase is the so called Drive cable, it seems. Easy enough. But how do you mount the Viper fan to the kettle, for example? Is there some kind of adapter? I don't mind drilling holes or anything. I just want an easy way to plug/stick the fan to the kettle.

Also, bonus question: I'm looking for an adapter for the BGE also. Where's the best way to buy aftermarket parts/adapters like this? Any recommendations from Pit Viper users?

This all started with me watching a Harry Soo video, and I thought: it's actually kinda neat, not having to tend to the fire all the time. My kettle with the SnS is rock solid for hours at a time, so is the BGE, but I'm also an engineer, and having some device work for me is really attractive

Bbq guru has a Weber/standard adapter for kettles. A 1” hole is all you need. Lots of threads in here with examples of how to mount (above ash sweepers below charcoal grate).

They also make an adapter for BGE slider as well

the fireboard drive cable will run any 12V fan.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the link, that was too easy. I should have done my googling homework. Exactly what I was looking for!

And a step drill bit is the easiest way to drill the hole.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree, I have one already, so should be good.

Yep I use the Pit Viper as well. BBQ Guru has adapters that are not thin, cheap pieces of sheet metal. They are actually HD Stainless adaptors. I find that these seal very well with the bottom damper.

For a Kettle, I would go with installing an inducer tube. Use a step bit to get through the metal and install it. They also come with a "kill plug" so when it is not in use, it is sealed up. Easy peasy, brother.

I have been using my Pit Viper/FireBoard combo since yesterday at about 3:30 PM. The BGE is still holding firm at about 225 F. ( I had to add a little bit of lump at 8 am, this morning as you can see on the graph, so she spiked a bit.) After 16 hours, I am extremely impressed with this set up. This butt is stalling out hard, but, Henrik, It could not be easier. IF I never opened the lid to spritz, I feel like it would be rock solid at 225 F.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2018-08-12 08.23.02.png
Views:	158
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	547485

Comment

Thanks Spinaker! I have already ordered the stainless adapters, one for the kettle and one for the BGE. It will probably take a week to get them across the pond, but it'll be fun testing them out! Pit Viper ordered too.

The thing I really like with the Fireboard+Viper setup is that I don't need a power cable to run them. Charge the Fireboard to 100%, then hook things up and let 'er rip. To me it's invaluable, because most often I cook where I don't have a power outlet readily available.

Can't wait to get the stuff.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep! Very convenient!

Don’t know how long it will drive the fan on battery. Never tested it that way.

Comment

• Histrix
        Histrix commented
        Editing a comment
        If I am running my Fireboard with the fan I always use a small USB external battery pack to plug into the Fireboard to provide extra juice just in case.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Of course, why didn’t I think of that! That’s what I’ll do if needed.

• Histrix
        Histrix commented
        Editing a comment
        I've also used one of these to plug directly into the Drive cable itself - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For Kamados, I'm a big http://www.smobot.com fan. I'm an engineer too. Check out a typical cook of ribs.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2018-08-12 14.41.17.png
Views:	144
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	547650

Comment

• TDuckro
        TDuckro commented
        Editing a comment
        Any idea if Smobot will support Vision Kamados in the future?

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Best to just write to them directly TDuckro .

• Histrix
        Histrix commented
        Editing a comment
        TDuckro - Smobot sells an adapter for use with a Vision - it's on their website.

I'm cooking ribs today with a pit viper. it works. But of course a fan can only raise the temperature. So for me long cooks in the summer require a water pan to moderate the temp.

Comment

Henrik, The BBQGURU Offers Two Sizes Of Fans❗️ First: The 10 CFM, Pit Viper For Wber Kettles BGE's And Others Of Similar Volume‼️ Second: The 20 CFM, Pit Bull Fan Which I Use On My OK Joe Highland Offsett Stick Burner‼️ Your FireBoard Will Control Both Individully, The Same Adapter Works For Both‼️ The Fan Should Be Mounted 180* From The S 'N S And The Top Vent Of The Kettle‼️
        The Only Difficulty I've Encountered Is A Power Shortage While Using The FireBoard And Pit Viper On My 22" Weber To Smoke A Sous Veed Pork Butt, About 3 - 4 Hrs❓❗️❓ I Would Recommend Aux Batteries ❗️
        Eat Well And Prosper❗️ From A Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan

Viper Fan By BBQGURU On 22 1/2" Kettle! With DigiQ DX-2' Controller❗️

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	11 Size:	507.3 KB ID:	547806Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	10 Size:	533.7 KB ID:	547807Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	1 Size:	691.7 KB ID:	547808Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	1 Size:	835.0 KB ID:	547809Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	12 Size:	1.93 MB ID:	547811Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	1.85 MB ID:	547815

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	11 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	547813Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	10 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	547814Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	1 Size:	605.0 KB ID:	547812

Pit Bull Fan On The OK Joe Highlnd Controlled By The DigiQ DX-2 Or
        FireBoard

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	458.9 KB ID:	547816Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	1 Size:	535.7 KB ID:	547817Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	1.90 MB ID:	547818Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	2.35 MB ID:	547820Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	2.28 MB ID:	547819

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	1.16 MB ID:	547822Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	2.32 MB ID:	547824Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	161.4 KB ID:	547821Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	8 Size:	989.8 KB ID:	547823
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Danjohnston949; August 12, 2018, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Dan! 3-4 hours seems a little short, I’m gonna use an external battery pack (usb) if needed.

Without driving the fan should last a long time.

For comparison the "PartyQ" fan runs on 4 AA batteries and goes about 10-11 hours in the summer and 4-5 in winter (need more fan to keep up in winter)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here