Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Build your own controller??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build your own controller??

Hey guys and gals, I can't remember for the life of me the company that sells kits to build your own controller. Grrrrr

There's a company called Jameco that sells PID controller kits. If you google "pid temperature controller kit", you'll get hits on that and several more from Amazon, NewEgg, etc.

... or ... are you talking specifically about fan controllers?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Fan, got a guy looking to build his own. His got the soldering kit, etc....

Found a bunch of DIY articles and videos after googling: "smoker temperature controller diy". Maybe something there will be helpful ...

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Ok, I'll have to try later. I looked into one that was popular amongst da BBQ peeples a year or so ago.

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard just have one of your kids blow on the fire if it gets too low. It’s free. And DIY.

I was looking at a kit several years ago, but I can't remember the brand although I think it started with "H". There was a forum for builders too.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Yeah that's it, they have different levels. This guy is into building crap - just the opposite of me, unless we are modifying a pit or restringing a compound bow.

Heatermeter

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Ahah!!! Thanks!!

• dshaffes
      dshaffes commented
      Editing a comment
      A member of my competition team built one. The interface is not as elegant or intuitive like the CyberQ or Fireboard, but there are a lot of configurable bells and whistles.

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      The guy already has a couple raspberry thingees (whatever that is) so he is pretty stoked. His girlfriend is getting him a 26 kettle with SnS.

I made my own, but it's a scratch build. It maintains a temperature with standard deviation of 1-1½ degrees in the kettle and the mini WSM. Here's a picture of it attached to the Smoky Joe test bed. Not actually running.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0416.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	519642

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      that warms this retired EE's heart! nice job!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here