Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FireBoard Fan - Any Reviews?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FireBoard Fan - Any Reviews?

Been looking around the old interweb and forums for any feedback on the FireBoard fan. Can't seem to find much. I know back in December I think lonnie mac was all over that but nothing since. I'm about ready to take the FireBoard plunge and need fan control for my WSMs especially. Is their fan working well, anyone got one they could report on? Or should I just hang back and think about getting a Cyber-Q or some other product. Any help/comments appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fireboard fan.jpg
Views:	1325
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	445026

I don’t have that fan but I did order the Pit Viper fan from BBQ Guru to go with my Firebroad and it works great.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you have to buy the FireBoard interface cable or did the Pit Viper just plug and play?

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      You will have to buy the fan control cable in any case in order to use a fan with the FireBoard.

I'm still loving my setup brother! I have a ton of cooks using my fan now. But I didn't get the Fireboard fan itself, I purchased the Pit Viper instead. I know Fireboard sells the Auber fan in your pic, and I have heard dang good things about Auber for a long time. I just liked the Pit Viper better, and the Weber adapter they sell as well. You will LOVE it! I do think the Pit Viper and the Weber adapter would fit your WSM a bit better than the Auber too. The fan makes it too easy to cook!

Name:	IMG_9746.JPG
Views:	1122
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	445037

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks bro, looks like the way to go. Was not aware that was an Auber fan.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      So let me get this straight, I buy a FireBoard, their fan control cable and marry that to the Pit Viper and its adapter. There are no logic or interface issues involved, it just controls the fan through simple on/off switching? Sorry, its the engineer in me wanting to know.

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      That's it brother. It all works. The FireBoard does not know "what" fan is attached. It just sends voltage. It controls any fan from 0% to 100% variable fan speed as it calls for heat. It works dang good too!

Thanks lonnie mac and DWCowles .....SOLD. Order going in today.

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      You won’t be disappointed

Sounds like you have already made a decision. I was just going to reiterate what has already been said. I emailed fireboard before I purchased the cable and pit viper fan because I was a little uncertain if that setup would work. I was pretty sure but wanted to be 100%. They actually suggested getting the pit viper for my setup (Weber kettle) because of the adapter that you can get for the Weber. It was nice to here from a company trying to make sure I had the best setup for my situation instead of just pushing a product they sell.

Comment

I would also go with the BBQ Guru fan - it's much easier to drill a round hole than a rectangular hole.

Comment

• lonnie mac
        lonnie mac commented
        Editing a comment
        Square broache! Costly. The machine to use them is a bit out of reach for our use.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        lonnie mac - but it still drills a round hole??

• lonnie mac
        lonnie mac commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL brother!

I do like mine, it works great. I use it quite a bit. However, I need to send my cable back. I can't get the damn internal alarm to shut off. I have contacted FB and I am going to send it back for a replacement.

I still don't understand why they would add an internal, alarm to the cable in the first place. A notification to my phone works fine. Lotta good an audible alarm does when you are following it remotely.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Wait, the cable has an alarm? What in the world......

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, it does. And it is a PITA if it malfunctions. I think my case is isolated, Other than Jetski we are the only ones, that I have heard, having this issue. And FireBoard has been helpful. For me at least. Troutman

• Jetski
        Jetski commented
        Editing a comment
        I would agree, FireBoard has been very helpful. They are always quick to answer any questions that I have. I'm very happy with the product. If we can just get this alarm issue resolved I can rest easier knowing I'm not pissing my neighbors off with the most annoying alarm ever!

Tried both guru and the fireboard. Guru control logic is better but the fireboard app makes that much easier to deal with. Any 12V fan with an 1/8” phone plug should work. You do need to get fireboards drive cable, which doubles as a power supply to fireboard unit and fan.

My cable alarm was able to be turned off through the app. I guess this "feature" is useful for diagnostics or something.

Comment

• Jetski
        Jetski commented
        Editing a comment
        You say you were able to turn your FireBoard cable alarm off through the app? If so, how? I thought I read in one of the updates for the app that this would be possible but for the life of me, if it is, I can't figure it out.

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Go to the drive screen and hit settings.

• Jetski
        Jetski commented
        Editing a comment
        Well now don't I feel silly.

Fireboard app—> Drive screen/tab (fan)—> settings —> internal speaker.

Name:	73513698-7082-423C-AF0D-1AB7F6B829E2.jpeg
Views:	1514
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	445749

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Mine won't shut off, even with the toggle shut off.

• Jetski
        Jetski commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll have to see if mine turns off with the toggle off. I have no idea why I didn't see that settings option before. Thanks for the help.

Turn that internal speaker off! That's how I have mine set up. Silly cables with speakers. Who thought that one up! Guess they were trying to keep up with the Smoke, with the controller blasting to the hood instead of the remote you are wearing around the house!

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I have toggled the speaker off, but it wouldn't shut it off. Weird bug, I guess.

Polarbear777 - Thanks for that heads up, can’t wait to get this stuff.....

Comment

They just added an update so you can set the max fan speed limit (useful when you run on a small pit).

I asked for this a little over a week ago.

Comment

I contacted FireBoard for a replacement drive cable, on Sunday. I also was having some issues with the Fireboard holding a charge. A few days later, they sent me a whole new set up! I worked with Ted at FireBoard, he was very helpful and got me replacements promptly. I was very pleased with how they handled the issue.

Name:	IMG_4897.JPG
Views:	1106
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	448456

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed, but then my office might burn down. Diet Mountain Dew might be a better bet. LOL. Huskee

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Hamm's the beer refreshing.....Hamm's

My Fireboard and Pit Viper came in the mail last night. Whooohooo...weekend project !!!!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice! You are going to be a happy camper!

That’s great to hear Spinaker good customer service brings back business

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
            That’s great to hear Spinaker good customer service brings back business
            They had me plug it in and they did a remote check on the unit via WIFI. Then I got an email saying that two new pieces would be coming my way and they will include return shipping for the old units. Nothing to complain about there.

Comment

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              So far they have been very responsive. We will see if they can keep up the more they sell.

• jlazar
              jlazar commented
              Editing a comment
              Did the new pieces fix the problem?

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here