Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to put in the PartyQ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to put in the PartyQ?

Maybe this question is answered on here somewhere, but after quick looking I couldn’t find it. I was wondering when everyone with a temp controller like a PartyQ actually puts it in the cooker to control the temp. Is it right from the beginning after it’s lit or do you wait until the cooker is up to close to desired temp. I’m cooking on a Large BGE and in the past I put it on soon after lighting and sometimes it over shoots it, and/or wastes a lot of the battery getting up to temp using the fan at 100%. Have I been doing it wrong?

Thanks for the help!

In the 22" kettle I leave it turned off and vents fully open for the first 15 minutes or so, until I get closer to my target temp and it will actually be needed. It will take that long to heat all the way up with or without the PartyQ.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know anything about a BGE, but my advice is follow the normal lighting procedure and only use the PartyQ to maintain the temp once you get there. Again, that is for Weber 22" and my Ranch kettle behaves the same way.

I get it up to temp on my Big Green Egg before putting it in. I think it takes longer if you put it in right away. In fact, running it up to 300 before putting the wood and platesetter in would be a good time to put the PartyQ in. The Egg will settle down to the 225 range after you put in the wood and platesetter in.

Comment

With my Kamado Joe I wait until it gets about halfway from the target temp before I start the fan controller. Cheers!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here