Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireboard and Fan Drive Cord, got the bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireboard and Fan Drive Cord, got the bug

Just knew it was going to happen. Was standing at the top of a very slippery slope, pondering the viability of upgrading to "Q"ing-WIFI capability. Truth be told, more of a lust.

I currently use BBQ Gurus Digi Q controller and really like it, but it's been a couple of years now, got a fancy smart phone, a good WIFI system in the house, hey, how about joining the "modern" age?

Anyway, spent most of yesterday doing the due diligence of researching here, SMF and reading all the reviews and personal experiences (so much better than "Amazon reviews"). BTW, thanks for your inputs. Very appreciated and helpful. Something I might point out as one of the important factors that helped me make my decision and that was how the Fireboard staff put out all the information you could hope for in spec's, how-to's and the videos, online and easily accessible. Great stuff. Definitely helped me make the decision. Anyone on the fence? Poke around their e-store, the reviews on here and over on SMF (BMudd really digs into the nuts and bolts of the subject) and then decide.

I feel comfortable in the knowledge that if I run into a problem (probably operator error) I will get an answer or solution.

So, anyway, I ordered the Fireboard Extreme BBQ collection and of course the Fan Drive Cord (to drive my Pit Viper). Guess I'm going to have to order another Pit Viper for the Digi Q.

Another thought, is it possible to drive 2 pit vipers off the Fan Drive? Maybe with a splitter? Probably not.

Or perhaps, use the one Pit Viper with the Fan Drive Cord, second Pit Viper controlled by the Digi Q with it's pit temp probe. Would have to run 2 pit temp probes with the Fireboard. One for control of the primary pit and the 2nd as a monitor of the Digi Q controlled pit. There's always a work around, somewhere, somehow. Just putting this out for thought and suggestions. Since I have 3 units that can function as a smoker (Weber Performer, 18.5 WSM, and a 14.5" MiniWSM), it is quite conceivable that I'd want to run two at the same time. When you're a retired old phart, you have time to .....

Note: When I was completing the purchase order, one of the questions was how I heard about Fireboard. Obviously I answered Amazing Ribs. Does AR get something for this? Hope so.
    Last edited by NWDave; December 11, 2017, 12:05 PM.

Fireboard has their own fan, did you consider buying their’s?

Comment

NWDave, Troutman, Like You Dave I just Recieved the Fan Drive Cord for My FireBoard (Received Prior to Thanksgiving 2016), and Like You I have a BBQGURU DigiQ Dx-2 with a 10 CFM Pit Viper Fan for
      My 22 1/2" Weber Ketttle 👍❗️ I Have the Larger 20 CFM Pit Bull Fan on My Oklahoma Joe Highland Stick Burner and Prior to Now I have simply Shifted The DigiQ DX-2 Control From one to the Other❗️ Worked Great
      Ezcept, I Couldn't Use Both the Weber and the OKJH at the Same Time❓ Nothing that Spending a Little More Money Won't Fix🤔💸‼️ The Sunday following Thanksgiving I was to be My First Run❗️ I Got an Early Start, All Was Going OK, the Smoker was Running Cold, and the Turkey Was Running Late❓ I decided to Pull the Turkey and Finish It in the Oven 👍❗️ Eunice and I went Out to the Driveway to Do Just That, I Tripped On a Power Cord, Landed on My Left Hip and Have Been in either the Hospital or the Nursing Home and Rehab Center Every Since❓ At this Point all I can Add is I think It's All Going to Work as Planned 👍, BUT❓❓ You might want to visit with lonnie mac I know He's got It Figured Out‼️ I'm Going to Have Lonnie, Mr. Bones and Huskee turn My Tale of Woe into a Country
      Rock-a-Billy Song‼️ We Will All Be GaZillionaires❓
      From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	429.5 KB ID:	422288Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	533.7 KB ID:	422289Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1.54 MB ID:	422293Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	422292Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	974.9 KB ID:	422291Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	422290
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.98 MB ID:	422302Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.84 MB ID:	422300Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.78 MB ID:	422301
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	638.8 KB ID:	422299Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	137.5 KB ID:	422294Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	126.6 KB ID:	422295Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	81.5 KB ID:	422296Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	99.9 KB ID:	422297Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	126.7 KB ID:	422298
      Last edited by Danjohnston949; December 11, 2017, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Dan, sorry to hear about your fall. I had no idea. How are you getting along?

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker, Thanks John‼️ I have a Dr's Appt. on Wednesday AM, Until Then Toe Touch Weight (-10 #'s) on the Left Leg❓
        🎄🎄 A Real PMO❗️🎄🎄 Thanks, Spin‼️ Dan
        OBTW Two Packages Coming Your Way❗️ The One With Your Name has
        an Envelope with Some Cash for Shipping the other‼️ Thanks, Dan

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Dan, you don have to do that! Shipping is cheap! Just happy to help you out. Get well soon. And try to go wireless! Stay warm up there.

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
      Fireboard has their own fan, did you consider buying their’s?
      All my units have the Pit Viper connection already installed. No point in changing.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats! I have 4 cookers and 4 of BBQ Guru's adapters for my PartyQ, so if I were to order the Fireboard and cable, I would also order the Pit Viper fan.

Nice!!! i use the Pit Viper and it works great. I had a great 19 hour cook with mine this past weekend. It was a long one, but the Fireboard preformed very well!

I don't like to use interchange the use of my controllers. My Fireboard only runs my BGE and my Digi Q only runs my KJ Jr. I find if the controllers stay on one cooker, they respond much better to issues, as the algorithm has learned that cooker and its nuances. Although they both work for each, it prefer to keep them assigned to their respective cookers.

As far as I know, you cannot run multiple fans off of the Cable. That would require two separate systems to monitor each pit independently. I just run my Digi Q and the Fireboard. Although, I do slide one FireBoard probe in the KJ in order monitor the temp of the other cooker with the Fireboard and I can still graph the other cookers performance. Note: I make sure the control port for the fan is set to the correct port, so I don't have the Fireboard reading the wrong temps to the fan.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here