Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tappecue Temp Monitor Device - Anyone Use It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tappecue Temp Monitor Device - Anyone Use It?

I've just learned of this temp monitoring device. It has four probes, is wi-fi capable, and has apps for android and iPhone. Link is here to website. Does anyone use it and does it add value to your smokes and piece of mind. Seems pricey; is it worth the price?

Here's the review on the main site - it got a Bronze level. I understand the need or cool factor of a lot of the things it does, but when they talk about the convenience of monitoring the temp when leaving the house, I always go Huh? If you're not at home, there's nothing you can do but cry when your pit drops.

Comment

Good Point TB. I've always thought the same. If I'm cooking I better not be heading up town & vice versa. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Comment

I wasn't looking at it for the convenience of leaving the house and the smoker....don't believe I could do that for anything other than an emergency. I was looking at it from the multiple probe angle. I've done lots of cooks where I'd be smoking multiple meat cuts. I always felt it'd be convenient to monitor more than one HOM. Some of my past smokes:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Butts and Beef Roasts.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	40167 Butts and Beef Roasts

Name:	Chicken Quarters Halves and Wild Turkey Breast.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	40169 Chicken and Wild Turkey

Name:	Pork Ribs Beef Rib Roast Beef Ribs.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	40171 Pork Ribs and Beef Roast
        Attached Files

Comment

That's a mess of meat. I totally get the multiple probe desire. It's why I got a second Maverick 732. In January, Maverick is coming out with the 735, which can handle 4 probes and transmit via bluetooth to your iPhone/iPad or Android. See it here at Firecraft

Comment

• cdnichol
            cdnichol commented
            Editing a comment
            I told my girlfriend that is what I wanted for Christmas soon as I saw it last month in the Firecraft catalog. January won't come soon enough LOL!!

I use it and like it. Here are my thoughts on it from another post (http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...30784-tappecue)

"I have it. I'm pretty happy with it and feel totally comfortable recommending it. I use it for most cooks, it's been reliable and helpful. It is $200, but it's also 4 probes. Even if you're not cooking meat that needs 4 probes, you can use the extras to monitor the performance of your pit, see how it's working under difference conditions, learn if it has hot spots etc. for when you have larger cooks. By monitor I mean it produces charts, so if you're taking notes you can really see what's going on with your meal.

Their customer service is excellent too."

To me the useful aspect of the WiFi is that you can set it to ping your phone when it reaches or falls below a certain temp. It's a nice little feature that means you don't have to hover near the pit all the time...

Comment

• cdnichol
            cdnichol commented
            Editing a comment
            How was the setup for it? I love my Cyber Q Wifi but LORD HAVE MERCY that was the most difficult thing to set up so it would talk to my router and I could go directly to the IP address to see how everything was going. If not I would have to connect directly into the Cyber Q Wifi and the range was limited to say the least. I still love it nonetheless LOL!

• Letmebefrank
            Letmebefrank commented
            Editing a comment
            The setup for me was kind of a saga. The first device they sent was not formatted correctly or something. I was on the phone with them at 9 pm at night for a while before we figured out that it must be the hardware. To their credit, they fedex'd me one right away, and at that point I pretty much had the configuration process memorized so it was very easy.

LOVE / HATE~
          I've had my Tappecue for one year now. ver 0.000
          Pros: I like it and use the WiFi when I leave. However, I work .25 mile from my house so I can watch my cook. I can put something on the grill in the morning, slow cook it and have it ready for lunch for my crew.
          I also like the four probes (when they work). I can watch 3 separate items / areas plus the chamber.
          Customer service has been great.

Con: I've had several probes become faulty due to "moisture" in the BBQ chamber. Dang, I'm in a wet, damp area and I might have reconsidered if I had known this. Early on the company sent me free replacements, including a beta probe - which promptly fizzled out. at this point I need to order a couple replacements. The photo is showing a erroneous reading shortly after placing items on the grill.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Board, have you tried drying out the probes in an oven? Many people do that with their Maverick probes.

• boardlr
            boardlr commented
            Editing a comment
            I have. I did get one to work again for a short time.

• boardlr
            boardlr commented
            Editing a comment
            This post got me to order a couple probes. I didn't realize they now have a "chamber" probe. Going to give that a try as I think that is where my issue has been.

I have one that I bought just a month or so ago. I also have a Maverick 733 2 probes. The Maverick isn't bad and until I got the Tappecue i really thought it was good enough for 2 problems. I have only used 3 or 4 times thus far but I love the fact it has 4 probes. I love that no matter where I am around the house, neighborhood or if I have to run an errand I can be alerted of any issues with the pit and how the meats are doing.

As far as setup It was really simple in my opinion. First setup was successful to my wireless. I have run 2 & 3 probes thus far without issue. I did order the unit that came with 4 EXTRA CARE probes. I think ultimately they are the same probes which seem to be better quality than my Maverick probes. The difference in Extra Care vs. normal appears to be the silicone wrapping that protects the probe from getting moisture/water where the cord connects to the probe. Many things I have read about probes for any unit is getting moisture/water at the entry point of the wire is what will destroy the probe. I think the silicone wrap helps keep the moisture from getting to the probe.

Again thus far no issues and very pleased.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here