Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flameboss 300!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flameboss 300!

Well, I was looking at thermostats and did some reading over the last few days. It mostly boiled down to a battle between the Flameboss 300 and the CyberQ. I ended up going with the former based on:

1. Variable speed fan (although that's probably an overrated feature).
    2. I like the way the unit looks better.
    3. The installation video, though unnecessary for me, did give me some additional clarity into the process.
    4. The setup and interface seems easier than the CyberQ from my reading.

Did I make a mistake? I can still cancel my order. :P

What are you cooking on?

Comment

I love my FB 300. I do have other controllers but the FB is the strongest player in my line up for sure.

I dont think its a mistake at all.

You can use it with or without the fan if you like. Lots of plus's. The Android app is not out yet but to be honest I prefer the web connect over the IO app anyway.

I even threw it on a Jumbo Joe just for fun since you can get the adaptor from the hardware for about 2 bucks or so. : )

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 3.08.38 PM.png Views:	1 Size:	846.4 KB ID:	363380
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 16, 2017, 01:15 PM.

Comment

EdF I'm cooking on a 22" Weber. Thus far it can handle everything I throw at it. When doing a 4+ hour cook though, I don't want to have to babysit. Although the SNS setup is relatively stable, all sorts of ambient fluctuations cause swings. I want to be able to leave the house on a Saturday while I've got ribs going.

I'm thinking about a KBQ or Kamado as my first "serious" cooker, but I'm in no hurry. Love the KBQ from everything I have seen, but "set and forget" is my reality right now if I want to cook more than every couple weekends. I doubt I'll add another cooker short of another kettle for at least a year. I'm very interested in a Kamado for a number of reasons, including pizza but I also appreciate its fuel efficiency and... they're just pretty! The nice thing is that building out a solid collection of accessories will improve whatever cooker I add to the fleet. (Currently a fleet of a single Weber kettle, lol.)

Jon Solberg Yeah. I liked the adapter on the Fireboss over the CyberQ better actually. The former is basically a standard piece of pipe and because it threads through compared to the one used on the CyberQ, I suspect you can better control leakage. It's a small matter in reality, but the generic part means I have more flexibility in other potential modifications. I'm actually SERIOUSLY considering a Jumbo Joe. It's really down to that or another 22" kettle. It's a matter of deciding if I really care about the portability aspect of the Jumbo Joe.

Also, I'm gung ho on Apple equipment, so their app should be fine for me. (MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch, AppleTV... I'm pretty much a member of the Apple Borg Collective.)
        Last edited by binarypaladin; August 16, 2017, 01:38 PM. Reason: Apple Stuff

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't think you'll go wrong with either of those controllers. If you go for the kamado, check out the SmoBot.

• binarypaladin
          binarypaladin commented
          Editing a comment
          That's pretty sweet! I'll put that in my pocket for next year.

Second for the Flame Boss 300. I have one and I love it. Every cook has been pretty much set it and forget it.

I installed it in my kettle in probably 5 minutes or less and I haven't had a problem all season.

I concur with Jon Solberg solberg that the web interface is better than the app for ios.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6279.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.19 MB ID:	363449Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6280.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	363450

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here