Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermo Controller for 18.5" WSM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermo Controller for 18.5" WSM?

Being a poker player, I'd like to be able to maintain a reasonable temp range (around 250o) in my 18.5" WSM when I leave it unattended for smoking a butt while I'm gone for maybe six hours during the day. I'll add that my WSM is pretty well sealed and will hold a fairly steady temp thru much of a cook barring any large changes in wind, etc.

I really have no desire to adjust cooking temps or monitor the meat temp from the poker table. I just want a simple machine that will be reactive if/when cooking temps should start a roller coaster ride thru a given range. I've also read some of the threads here and am aware of some of the pitfalls that others have encountered when using a simple controller on a small smoker like the WSM.

I've been on the BBQ Guru site and am looking at the PartyQ and DigiQ models.

The DigiQ seems like overkill for my needs, as I have no need/desire to monitor internal meat temps. However, if it is a better choice... I'm in.

The PartyQ's major sticking point for me is that it uses two AA batteries. I'm quite willing to put new batteries in a unit before a cook, but sure don't want something that is gonna run out of "juice" while I'm away on a given day.

In poker, if "you think long, you think wrong". However, I welcome any comments and/or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

The batteries should last through a whole cook, so 6 hours should be no problem. I use Eneloop rechargeable batteries in my photo gear, and they perform well. If you get the PartyQ, I suggest getting a set of Eneloops with the charger. You will have one set to use plus a backup set.

(Not the AR link)

Comment

FWIW PartyQ last a long time on a set of cheap name brand batts. 30+hours at least. Sub zero temps do take their toll a bit faster. If they do die during a cook it's a fast change if you have your gear handy to do so. Please keep in mind I'm running the old style. I leave the batt cover screw out of that unit as its not needed to keep the cover in place.

Comment

maybe look into the Pitmaster IQ 110. (the original one is only 140 bucks) it only has 1 probe that attaches in the smoker to check temperature. (they now make higher costing units that have extra probes for meat and have added Wifi but those actually are about the same price as the digiQ and such) it plugs in so no batters to worry about and comes ith the right connection hardware for you cooker (as long as you order the right one) you can find it on Amazon or BBQGuys.com here is a Youtube video I found its a mini but should work the same.

Comment

I've got the Pitmaster IQ 110 which I use on occasion with my 18" WSM. Works fine, no hassles with configuring WiFi.

I've also used the Tip Top Temp controller which works well and needs no batteries and is only $30.

Comment

May as well check out the Flame Boss while you're at it.

Comment

Thanks to all who responded to my query.

I was about to pull-the-trigger on a PartyQ when a couple of YouTube videos brought me around to the DigiQ also by the folks at BBQ Guru. The inclusion of a PID controller made the difference to this old engineer.

I ordered one with the PitViper fan. Should be here tomorrow.

I'll take some pics of my first cook with it sometime next week.

Thanks again!

Comment

Congrats man. That's a cool toy. Your going to love it.

Comment

Be sure to let us know how it works for you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here