Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loooong cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loooong cook

I had volunteered to do pulled beef for a friend, the party was at 7pm so that meant that it was going to be an all day cook. The problem was I work all day and didn't want to take the day off to do the cook. I've put my faith in the Party-Q for overnight cooks and this was basically the same thing. I used my newly perfected OCD method of filling the SnS and squeezed 91 Kingsford professional briquettes into the space that was not taken up by the 20 or so partially burned briquettes from Sunday's chicken thigh cook. I lit 12 briquettes in a chimney using my turkey fryer burner to get them started (only takes a minute). The BBQ Dragon got the coals ready to go in 5 min and I dumped them on top of the leftover coals. The Party-Q was set to 250F and I let it come up to temp, only took about 15 minutes. I put the 48 hour dry brine chuck roast covered in BBR on at 6am. At 9am it was at 150F and I turned the Party-Q down to 235F and went on with my day. I made a couple of temperature checks with my wife while I was at work and all was well. I got home at 4pm and the roast was probe tender at 199F so I wrapped it up and turned the Party-Q down to 200F and let it hold for two hours. The beef came out great I probably could have added a 4th chunk of hickory to get a bit more smoke. I served it with Huskee Shawsh, and everyone loved it. Very impressed with the versatility of the 22"/SnS/DnG/Party-Q combo. I don't know if you can get a better all around cooking rig for the price.

OCD method
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170507_084406754.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	317367

Meteor

Name:	IMG_20170509_180917495.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	317368

Pulled

Name:	IMG_20170509_181051845.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	317369

Leftover coals after 12 hours

Name:	IMG_20170509_181301114_HDR.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	317370

excellent work, but i refuse to believe you without a sample

Comment

• Gooner-que
      Gooner-que commented
      Editing a comment
      Sadly there was only two bites left for my wife to try...no leftovers for lunch today.

Looks perfect. So you stack the coals vertically? How many layers deep is that?

Comment

• Gooner-que
      Gooner-que commented
      Editing a comment
      Two deep, the photo was from my first attempt; I was much more OCD on this cook and got 91 briquettes in.

Thanks for the details and pictures! I'm going to move the party-q up the MCS list, I think.

Comment

Awesome cook! Shawsh FTW!

Comment

• Gooner-que
        Gooner-que commented
        Editing a comment
        It really is a GREAT all around BBQ sauce!

Beautiful

Comment

It looks like it turned out great.

Comment

Great looking cook. And I love that you are trying the OCD method with the SNS. Sounds like it worked out well for you.

Comment

Looks fantastic!!!
            I appreciate th' OCD SnS tutorial, as well, will follow with great interest, as you perfect it...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here