Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A review of the TipTopTemp in use with the Slow ‘N Sear: Is it worth buying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A review of the TipTopTemp in use with the Slow ‘N Sear: Is it worth buying?

I recently chose to purchase the TipTopTemp (TTT) after reading some positive reviews online. My primary reason for taking the plunge on this purchase was to see whether the TTT could provide a longer period of "set it and forget it" temperature stability with the Slow ‘N Sear (SnS). Specifically, I was interested to see whether the TTT would provide the temperature stability for an unsupervised all-night cook. The TTT comes with a chart that provides guidance for temperature control. The dial on the TTT uses numbers 1 – 9 that control the degree that the TTT’s air vent (controlled by the coil) will stay open. The coil responds to the heat coming through the vent to make real-time adjustments to the opening. In theory, this could provide the long-term temperature stability I am looking for.

Unfortunately in practice I found the TTT hindered the temperature control of the SnS. Since purchasing the SnS, I have been able to get rock-solid temperature control for several hours. Recently, I have had several cooks where the SnS held a consistent temperature for five hours. The real-time temperature response of the TTT destabilized the temperature control of the SnS. After an hour of getting used to the TTT, I was able to sustain an even temperature, but it required more fiddling that the SnS alone.

My conclusion? I would recommend that anyone considering purchasing the TipTopTemp, instead purchase the Slow ‘N Sear and Drip n Griddle. The SnS and DnG work best when paired with a Weber kettle that either has binder clips (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) on the lid, or a quality gasket (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Either of these products will reduce air leaks and bring greater temperature stability. With a sealed lid, the SnS will provide 4 to 5 hours of temperature stability on the Weber kettle.
    Attached Files

Thanks for posting this review! I've been browsing temperature control devices and this was one that I was considering. But, you are right that once you know the SnS/DnG combo well, you can get 5-hours of really steady temps on the Weber.

Comment

Perfect Timing, thanks for the information.

Comment

• rgriffeath
        rgriffeath commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I'm glad it was helpful.

I have both of these, and I was planning on trying the same thing. The timing isn't right for now, but I should be able to give it a shot in a month or so.

Comment

Great review. Your experience is just about exactly what I theorized and why I've never bothered to get one. I've been viewing it as a solution in search of a problem. The TTT wouldn't eliminate the need to stir the coals at the 4-5hr mark and remove the ash anyhow, so I never imagined it would really bring much help to the end user. I bet it would help more for folks unaware of or otherwise not in possession of the SnS. Regardless, it is a novel invention with a lot of thought behind it.

Comment

• rgriffeath
          rgriffeath commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. I thought there might be some people in the AR community who would be interested. I still plan on further experimentation, but as of now this is definitely how I feel. Happy smoking 👍

Fantastic Review!

This is the exact reason I joined this forum, I'd been wondering about this exact set-up & now you've answered all my questions.

Tim

Comment

• rgriffeath
          rgriffeath commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm so glad it was helpful. Have a great one.

Great review. I wondered the same this about the TTT. What does it really bring to the table? Other than having a series of numbers so you can remember where you set it last time. However, a $1.29 sharpie will do the same thing.

Thank You for the review!

Comment

• rgriffeath
          rgriffeath commented
          Editing a comment
          You bet. My pleasure. In this case, the TTT definitely added complications without adding significant upside. I will certainly give an update if my opinion changes. Have a great end to the week

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here