Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flame Boss reviews/opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flame Boss reviews/opinions?

Someone on the free AR site is asking about some opinions about the Flame Boss controller. If anyone has any insights they'd like to share you can find the person's question here http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_gu...ent-3226278965

To answer you need a Disqus account. For those who don't have one or don't know about it, it's free, just takes signing up with an email address and making a username.

Many thanks

Hi Huskee

I have one, and I know Yno has one. I'm sure there are others.

This is a great unit. Not waiting on any "new" features, and is available in BBQ stores all over the country as well as a few places in Europe and in Asia.

Not sure why Max Good hasn't done a review. Every time it comes up on this forum, it seems to land with a thump almost immediately.

I recently had a problem, and although the unit was already out of warranty, they decided to replace it rather than repair it for me. Since the first unit had a system number of 1205 (September 2015) and this unit is 14722, I think they're selling a lot of them.

I'll go up to the other site later this evening and engage the person.

Best regards,
    Jim

Comment

Just real quick - in a flame boss 200 owner operator. Very happy w it. I did have a problem w a meat probe and they sent a replacement no questions asked. Otherwise the wifi is great. Variable speed fan. Get software updates regularly so they are maintaining.....

The thing just works. Love it.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you let the fella at the link above know your thoughts?

I would love to see extensive reviews from members/moderators on different fan units. I look for more than whether or not they work with WiFi but also how adaptable they are to unconventional and conventional units. I want to know if they will work well with stick burners. I want to know if they have to be plugged in or they can hold a charge. It is easy to see how they work on Webers and Kamados but it really can be confusing when it comes to other types of units.

Comment

They have some new probes that are designed for higher temperatures (the originals were designed for a max of 450). In a Kamado with heat deflectors, the heat coming up around the deflectors is pretty high. They replaced my probes too. Terry (Customer Service) suggested that I put a little piece of foil at the edge of the grill to protect the probe lines from the direct heat. Works like a charm, and I've had no more issues.

But, I think I'll order the higher temperature probes at some point anyway.

Jim

Comment

tbob4

The original fans were for the Kamado, and came with a cut out plate that mounts in the lower vent. The fan hangs in the plate. The newer one has an attachment that goes into a spin vent (like the WSM) and the fan mounts to it. It's really just a matter of something that will attach the fan to the cooker.

I've been told that bigger fans that come from other vendors will also work with the Flame Boss units. The FB controller has variable speed control over the fan (voltage).

The Flame Boss unit is designed to plug into 110v. You can order a lithium ion rechargeable battery to avoid needing electricity where the cooker is. I think any rechargeable source would also work.

That's as much as I know.

Best regards,
        Jim

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Jim!

Just got a 300 and I cant wait to try it out. I'm going to WSM it and rig it up for the Pig Rig wood burner. Cant wait!

Comment

Congrats. I hope the stock fan is strong enough for the air volume of the wood burner. Let us know.

Best regards,
          Jim

Comment

I heard some conversation that FB will be doing a fan y to add a second 15 cfm to the mix. I'm going to dig into that for sure.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Can't wait for that.

• GadjetGriller
              GadjetGriller commented
              Editing a comment
              They talk about it on their website. However I think its in Development hell just like The smokes Wifi. if they ever put one out I will most likely get it! So keeping my fingers crossed.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here