Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

digi q pit probe question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

digi q pit probe question

preparing for an overnight brisket cook on a Big Green Egg and will be using a digi q -
    my question involves the placement of the pit temp probe -- have heard differing opinions and am now confused
    --
    -- should the pit temp probe be attached to the dome thermometer
    or should it be place on the cooking surface grate (protected by the plate setter legs to avoid direct heat) ??
    --
    -- or I am just overthinking this ?? - This is a pretty big brisket (about 16 lbs.) and I don't want to screw it up
    --
    any thoughts or opinions are appreciated

Place the probe at the same level of whatever you are cooking. The actual temp at the same level as the meat is what you want to monitor.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      I totally agree with RonB ... put it 2" away from the meat and clip it on your grate. The temperature up in the dome will be 30° to 50° hotter than the temperature at the grate level for the first couple of hours of your cook. Those 2 areas will equalize eventually.
      Last edited by Breadhead; December 17, 2016, 04:57 PM.

much appreciated -
    - the help provided by this site is immeasurable - now if I ever learn to post pictures, I could show y'all the results of your advice
    - thanks

Comment

Not overthinking this at all, this is really important. We've done a lot of testing on probe placement in grills. You will see huge differences in dome temps depending on ambient temp, sun/shade, length of cook, etc, versus measuring at the grate level. The advice you received above is great - measure at the same level as the meat as RonB said, don't go too close to the meat or it will read too low Breadhead advice of 2" is good. Also be over the plate setter as you mention, the direct heat and convection over the edges will read higher.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here