Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know of a circulator that refrigerates rather than warms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know of a circulator that refrigerates rather than warms?

Better yet, an inexpensive refrigerated circulator??

Found some in the $4,000 price range that I'm not sure would be large enough.

Kind of a bigger deal to that than just warm. Would be cool to have something like that when cold water defrosting. As the frozen food warms the water up, the circulator keeps it below 3 degrees Celsius. I have a turkey going now.

Jerod Broussard Closest I've seen is the circulating coolers used to provide relief for injuries. Uses ice, way cheaper than $4000, might be a place to start, with a lil' mod work.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      OK. Thanks. Bout to pick up a couple more frozen dudes for next month.

I had foot surgery a while back and was fitted with a plastic boot through which ice water circulated. The actual circulator was a cooler (think faux cambro) with a marine grade water pump in it. It'd probably be pretty cheap to rig something like that up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbmorgan View Post
      I had foot surgery a while back and was fitted with a plastic boot through which ice water circulated. The actual circulator was a cooler (think faux cambro) with a marine grade water pump in it. It'd probably be pretty cheap to rig something like that up.
      Like this

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        yep ... only back then it looked like more of a DIY gizmo. It was truly a cooler and a marine-grade submersible pump attached to a couple of plastic hose lengths. Filled with ice and water, it was the best thing ever.

Jerod Broussard You could rig one up with a couple coolers, one with an aluminium trans cooler or cold plate in the bottom filled with ice and a circulating pump to circulate water from your meat cooler to the cooling plate and back. kind of like a kegarator. http://rapidswholesale.com/aluminum-...te-1-line.html
      Actually sounds like a fun project.
      Last edited by Powersmoke_80; November 20, 2016, 07:04 PM.

Comment

There is lab instrument called a cold finger. $$$. There may be something used for chilling aquaria for cheaper?

Comment

... or whip up something like the immersion wort cooler that I've been known to use for home brewing:

You can either circulate ice water through it (in which case it's immersed in the turkey cooler) or you can immerse it into an ice water bath and circulate turkey-cooler water through it (not recommended due to contamination issues inside the copper coils).

Click image for larger version  Name:	xl_immersion_chiller_copper_immersion_chiller_3_8.jpg Views:	1 Size:	34.6 KB ID:	241916
          Last edited by MBMorgan; November 20, 2016, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Probably something like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-4...ilver/21156022 is more practical.

Or you could get this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-3...ooler/35312345 which chills and warms could double as a powered faux cambro.

Comment

Get a small chest freezer for a few hundred bucks and plug it into one of these PID controllers - https://smile.amazon.com/Inkbird-Itc...pid+controller

When it gets too warm the PID will tell it to kick in until it hits your setpoint.

You can just use an aquarium airpump and a few airstones to act as a circulator.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll keep a look out. I've got an Auber PID. I was actually using that with a waterproof Thermoworks probe to watch my water temp with the PID alarm at 38 degrees.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here