Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guru PatyQ fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guru PatyQ fail

I decided to spatchcock a turkey a la Meathead for my labor day cook. Sadly, the PartyQ proved inadequate to the task of powering my WSM 22. I was unable to get temps above 290 using the PartyQ. Adding insult to injury, my Thermo Pro wireless probe reported a grill temperature about 10-12 degrees cooler than reported on the PartyQ digital display.

I ended up cheating and moving the turkey to my oven ...

My Thero Pro has been right on target with meat temps so I have to assume the grate probe is also accurate - after all, it's the same device. I have to believe the PartyQ grate probe is off a bit.

Has anyone else noticed an issue of temperature differences between a guru (or similar product) and a wireless probe device?

Also, does anyone have a temp controller that works better than the PartyQ? I just got this from Amazon so I'm in the return window.

Bill

Auber is a competing product. Got an AR gold star rating.

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on what scottranda, said I use an Auber on my large COS works grate.
      Dave

I have a CyberQ that came with 4 probes. They all read different, but within 3* - 4* of each other, and close to what my trusted Thermopen reads. If you google "bbq temperature controller", you will get lots of hits. Then check the reviews on Amazon for controllers you are interested in.

Comment

I have a Party-Q and I've noticed that it requires fresh batteries to keep my 22.5" Kettle going smooth. As the batteries get low the fan doesn't move enough air. Not really a big deal as I have plenty of rechargeable batteries around.

Comment

Can you calibrate a PartyQ? If so, do it. I've noticed a difference, but since calibrating all my devices everything is within a degree or so.

Also, I would think that the temperature would be more influenced by the number of coals burning than it would be by the air flow regulated by the device; if you can get the kettle up to 350* without a temp controller, then you can get it up to 350 with one, too, I would think. But, I've never used a controller on a kettle, so IDK.

Comment

i have been using a Rock's Bar-B-Que Stoker II for about 2 years and it has always worked great

Comment

Hind sight is 2020 - the PartyQ is 5 CFM, the Auber is 6.5 CFM and the WiFi Stoker II Kit recommended for a WSM is 10 CFM and the IQ Pitmasters feature a 5-15 CFM fan. Probably should have looked there first.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              Auber has 10 and 20 cfm fans as well.

I use an auber 6.5 just in a kettle and when I test it against my thermworks DOT probe I still find that it takes an hour or more before the temperatures will actually read identically. Sometimes you just have to wait a while for exact readings and give or take for hot spots. Ovens cycle + or - 25 degrees and we call them steady.

Comment

The 22 WSM is a good cooker and I would recommend you try to manage the temps WITHOUT a thermostat. It is pretty good at that. THEN, once you have control, add the PartyQ. TO get to 32 you need a lot of hot coals.

Comment

I had an email exchange with BBQ Guru tech support. I am impressed with their advice and will try the smoker again this weekend with lump charcoal. If it doesn't work for me, I'll try a different product. Many thanks to all who responded!
                Chuck, I am running a WSM 22 with Cajun bandit door and full gaskets. Using KBB charcoal. Temp that day was about 78. Deflector was aimed under the fire grate and the top grate was fully open. This is my second WSM and I've been smoking food since 2003.
                I've seen another reviewer on Amazon who had the same issue. I was thinking I need something with a larger fan to hit 325 but if you can help me do that with the PartyQ then I am grateful.

BBQ Customer Service <[email protected]>
                11:04 AM (5 hours ago)

to me
                Bill:

You are doing everything right except your fuel. Briquettes are problematical in the WSM, especially with our system where you leave everything closed as much as possible. We have worked with many users, and they are basically all able to get hotter temps and longer lasting burns with hardwood lump charcoal because the briquettes throw off so much ash.

The PartyQ fan is strong enough to work in even bigger grills than the WSM, especially at 79° ambient. If you were trying to smoke in MN in the winter (and we do have users who do that), then a little more power might be needed. But in regular conditions, not so much.

Let us know how you make out.

Thanks for choosing The BBQ Guru!

Regards,
                Chuck Gajeway
                Customer Service Co-ordinator
                [email protected]
                (800)288-4878

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here