Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which DigiQ for my Weber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which DigiQ for my Weber?

I have a rack of ribs on the SnS-enhanced 22" Weber Performer today, and I have spent the whole afternoon fiddly-fartin with the vents. Temperatures are fluctuating between 21 and 235°, and no matter what I do, I can't seem to keep'em at that magic 225° for any length of time.

I've read posts here about the DigiQ controllers, and today I am convinced I need one. Especially if I ever want to do another pulled pork. But am not sure which unit to get.

I already have the Maverick thermometers and remote display, so I am not sure I need the extra expense of the meat thermometer with the DigiQ DX2... I suspect my needs will be met with the PartyQ.

I'd like to hear from Weber Kettle users who have either or both of the DigiQs to help me decide..

You can never have to many temp probes. I have the DigiQ Dx2 and a Maverick ET735. That gives me the fan and 6 probes. If I am cooking multiple cuts of meat I will use all 6 probes. I can track the Maverick probes from my iPhone or iPad.

Comment

Thanks Breadhead -- appreciate the input! After I got the Maverick 733 based on recommendations and rave reviews here, I discovered my buddy has an iGrill unit that communicates with his iPhone. I think I might have liked that better...

I think what I am looking for is someone who has just the PartyQ, and is happy 'cause it works so well! Or, the guy who got the PartyQ and found that he really needed the DX2 unit.

Sorry, it's been a very frustrating afternoon...

Comment

First, you don't have to keep the Weber at exactly 225*. It should be somewhere around that temp, so I'd say you are good to go if you can keep the temps in that narrow of a band. I would suggest opening the top vent just a tad so that the temps do not go below 225*. I'd be happy with that.
        However, I am a control freak, so I got the CyberQ for the wi-fi connectivity. It works great with the Pit Pal app. Not only can I monitor temps from the computer, but also from my Android phone. That means I can really do other things without worrying or going to the grill to check temps, and that's great.
        My biggest complaint is that I don't trust the probes for accuracy. All the probes are off 3 or 4 degrees when checked in boiling water. I still check with my Thermopen when the meat is close to done, and sometimes I use the Dot to monitor air temps.
        Last edited by RonB; June 25, 2016, 01:45 PM.

Comment

I have the PartyQ and use it on my BGE, but not yet on my Weber Kettle. I have had the 4 AA batteries last thru (2) 14 hour butt cooks before replacing. I already had ThermoWorks ChefAlarms/probes and use them for pit & meat. I trust the PartyQ to do it's job.

Comment

Just so you know 217-235 is a perfect range to cook at. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. The ribs on your plate won't know that from a DigiQ-controlled cook, promise.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Stole my comment.

As others said, that range is fine. For a short cook where you will be nearby, the improvement is minimal. What it WILL do, is let you walk away, take a nap, make a grocery run for something you forgot, etc. if you don't already have a wireless leave-in like a maverick or iGrill, (or don't want to stick two probes in everything), the cyberq will kill two birds with one stone. The digiq is great if you don't care about the wireless and the partyq is good if you have a tight budget.

Comment

FYI- I was testing my Auber and Maverick probes in the oven this week making sure they were in kahoots. I set the oven for 250 and it peaked at 280-283 before cycling off.

I sure love my Auber. Sleep is soooo important.

Comment

• bep35
                bep35 commented
                Editing a comment
                Is that Auber on your PBC? If so it would be great to see a photograph of how your hooked into your cooker. Thanks!

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
              FYI- I was testing my Auber and Maverick probes in the oven this week making sure they were in kahoots. I set the oven for 250 and it peaked at 280-283 before cycling off.

I sure love my Auber. Sleep is soooo important.
              I did the same with my oven and my Mav. My oven would go up 5 degrees above set temp, then drop down to like 20 below....then up to 5 above and so forth. Averaging nearly 15 degrees under set temp. No wonder why every time we bake stuff it doesn't get done when it should. Bag fries, you now how the directions will say 22-24 min...ours takes 28. Now I know why.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                These ovens are GE Self-Cleaning Double Electric Wall Ovens.

GilaMonster, I honestly believe that We (You-Me-& the Rest) have gotten so used to instant info & self gratification, that like our Dogs we chase Rabbits in our Sleep? With that Preamble I do use a BBQGURU DIGIQ-2 W/Pit Viper Fan on my 22 1/2" Weber Kettle and S 'n S! I also use a baffle (Via Furnace Man) of 20 Ga SS! The baffle is 17.25"-18.25" Dia. Circle with +- 4.5" Sheared Off it rests on the Coal Grate on the indirect side it forces all the Air provided by the DidgiQ-2 to be Forced through the coals in the S 'n S! To install the Fan a 7/8" Hole for the Adapter needs to be drilled or Punched! Center a Pilot Hole between the Max Mark left by the Cleanout Sweeps and at least 3/4" below the bottom of the Coal Grate! I used a Sheet Metal KnockOut Punch Set from Harbor Freight +- $25.00! To end this very long story like You when I first got My S 'n S and had a Brand New Maverick ET 733! I about ran Myself to death running in and out of the House adjusting the Vents on the Weber even after much advice from David Parrish, Huskee and Jerod Broussard about Temp Swings and Things Like Charcoal Settling in the S 'n S and Unswept Ash Buildup? I was still Fidgiting like a Cut Cat! Jerod Broussard had Posted his Satsfaction with the Auber Temp Controller He was Using? I was about to order one when a Nearly New DidgiQ-2 Became available on AR's and I purchased it! It does an Excellant job of Temp Control provided I get the Lid on Correctly and the Charcoal Lit Properly! Make Sure You check out Adrenaline BBQ.Com for Huskee's Weber Vent Setting Pic's and Description, also go through the Lighting Tecniques and Temp Variations recommended for Low and Slow vs High Temp etc. Sorry about the Pics GM, Every since the Trans? Glenn Vergera
              Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Danjohnston949; June 27, 2016, 12:12 AM.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                Danjohnston949 commented
                Editing a comment
                GilaMonster, If you would like to see the Pics? PM Your eMail Address I will attempt to send these Pics to You via eMail! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Huskee - You can probably adjust your oven's temp. If it has a mechanical thermostat, the oven knob should come off and there will be a way to adjust on the back of the knob. If you have an electronic thermostat, and can't find the instructions, just google the model number for the instruction manual.
              Obviously, the oven should cycle the same amount above and below the set temp. If you have something like a ThermoQ that has a max/min feature, use that to check. Just let the oven run 30 min or so with the probe in the oven so that it has time to get into it's regular rhythm. Then reset the max/min function and let it run a while longer before checking the range. Repeat as necessary after each adjustment... And, of course, don't open the oven during the test.

Back in the days before thermometers were popular, (and for those who still don't have one), the "biscuit test" was recommended. Even though a manufacturer such as Pillsbury knows exactly how long it takes for their biscuits to bake at the recommended temp, the container always gives a range - like 11 to 14 min. The range is because Pillsbury knows that oven thermostats can be off - sometimes a lot. So they give a time range.
              Now if you follow the instructions and the biscuits are too brown at the minimum recommended time, or not brown enough at the max recommended time, the oven needs adjustment.
              Last edited by RonB; June 26, 2016, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who responded! As it turned out, the ribs were delicious! And, since I spent the afternoon sitting in the shade, on the deck, with a cold drink, re-reading To Kill A Mockingbird, It really wasn't as bad a day as it seemed at the time!

RonB & Huskee - You are right, 215-235 is an OK range, but as I watched the display climb or descend to the limits, I made adjustments so it wouldn't go over or under. Yesterday just seemed to take more adjusting than in the past.

RichBrew - Yours is really the reason I want automated control. To be able to walk away (or sleep!) without worrying, especially for a longer cook like a pork butt or brisket. Not all that interested in the wi-fi or multiple meat probes, so I think the PartyQ is the one for me, as my Maverick will let me know when the meat reaches temperature.

Danjohnston949 - I have used the info from ABC on lighting, and setting the vents, and have marks on my Performer where the lower vent should be for 225°. It's just that yesterday it wasn't cooperating! Yes, I'd like to see the pictures of your installation. PM follows.

Now I gotta go order a PartyQ before my next trip to the butcher!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here