Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CyberQ arrived today, and I'm disappointed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CyberQ arrived today, and I'm disappointed.

When I opened the box one of the first things I noticed was the probe pin size. The pins that connect to the CyberQ unit are of a different size, (larger), than the Thermoworks probe pins, and I have a bunch of them. Unless someone knows of an adapter, I guess I'm stuck with the factory probes. I don't think anyone makes a higher quality probe than Thermoworks, and their customer service is second to none.

Now I have to get a step bit to drill the holes...

Not all probes are the same. Most are pretty good from what I have seen. Those thermocouples are like mini batteries. Some tips are positive and some are negative.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Just looking at the CyberQ probes vs the ThermoWorks probes, you can see the difference in quality.
      Last edited by RonB; May 5, 2016, 06:47 AM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bummer man.png
Views:	100
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	164053

Comment

well the probes would likely not be compatible anyway. different companies use different parts for their probes. if you have thermoworks probes you will need to buy a thermoworks thermometer to use them on.

unless i'm wrong, which seems to happen more and more the longer i'm married...

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanx. I do have several Thermoworks thermometers. I've had other brands too, and the probes were interchangeable, but not with the CyberQ...

• DeusDingo
        DeusDingo commented
        Editing a comment
        well i'm surprised they are interchangeable. because not only would the parts for the probe itself COULD be different but the polarity of the connector pins MIGHT be reversed. as a rule of thumb to protect my electronics i don't interchange parts from different manufacturers.

DeusDingo is correct, there is almost no chance that the probes would be interchangeable even if the jacks were the same. Thermoworks uses thermistor type probes that change electrical resistance with temperature. They have to be calibrated using something called the Steinhart-Hart equation. (Look that up and your eyes will glaze over). That's why the probes for the Chef Alarm and Dot do not work with the older versions. I just plugged a Chef Alarm probe into an older Thermoworks oven thermometer and it read 117 degrees. Thermocouple probes (I think that's what CyberQ uses) generate an electrical voltage based on the temperature, so completely different theory of operation. OK, I'm going back to sleep now.

Comment

• johnec00
        johnec00 commented
        Editing a comment
        Rfuilrez - I have zero personal knowledge of CyberQ probe type, just going by what it says in AR review. Anyway, how do you like the heatermeter? I've been eyeing it, but not made up my mind yet.

• Rfuilrez
        Rfuilrez commented
        Editing a comment
        johnec00 I love it. It's a really hands on project until you get it set up and working just right, but I love that kind of stuff. It's also got lots under the hood and a ton of potential being open source and community driven.

• johnec00
        johnec00 commented
        Editing a comment
        Rfuilrez, thanks for the comment. I'm going to try a "scratch" DIY project first. Already have a 4 channel blu-tooth thermometer that I built, and now its "just" a question of adding fan control. If that fails, then the heatermeter may be the back-up.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here