Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auber & Maverick Calibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auber & Maverick Calibration

I recently installed an Auber controller on my PBC, and on my first cook I noticed almost a 12 deg difference between the Auber temperature reading and my Maverick ET-732 (high). The probes were within a few inches of each other. I changed the location so that the Auber probe was clipped onto the Maverick probe, and the difference was reduced but was still about 6 degrees. Not much, but I decided to do a calibration in the oven comparing the Auber, the food and BBQ Maverick probes, and a ThermoWorks ChefAlarm probe. All four probes were in free air, at the same height, within 3 inches of each other laterally. I set the oven for 225, let everything stabilize, and took several sets of measurements (I know the oven has +/- 15 deg variations). In summary, the results are:

Auber: 225
    ThermoWorks: 224
    Maverick food: 225
    Maverick BBQ: 228

So, my Maverick BBQ probe, or that port, reads a bit high. My inclination is that the Auber thermocouple should be the most accurate, as thermocouple voltage is determined directly by the physics of the two different metals forming the couple, and so long as Auber is using a reasonable chip to read the voltage (many are available), it should be fine. The other probes are all temperature-sensitive resistors that have to be calibrated individually, can change over time, and are sensitive to any resistance in the circuit. Given the small differences, I didn't try exchanging the Maverick probes and ports, or testing other probes I have. My experience indicates that probe placement is more significant than probe calibration --- unless something bad happens. I'll rely on the Auber TC; TCs are either correct, or they don't read at all.

I agree. Thermocouple should out duel a thermistor.

Funny you mention 6 degrees. My Maverick was off that much in the Pit Barrel. I put it in the kettle where it is usually dead on and it was still off. Turns out the tip of the Maverick was gunked up with something. I think it was BBQ sauce when I was coating my country style ribs a while back. I wiped it off and it got back to normal.

Comment

I find the same thing with BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 readings compared to my Maverick ET-732 readings in my PBC. I have done both the ice water and boiling water tests with all of my probes and found them to be within a few degrees of each other. That's close enough for me. I go with the DigiQ DX2 temps and just use the ET-732 temps as a backup, and for the convenience of using the receiver to not have to go just outside to monitor temps.

Comment

Boys and Girls have we tricked ourselves into out Sophisticating the Problem at hand? I do just what BigBear said the only difference is my Maverick is a 733! Maybe Grandma was right all those years ago when she used her elbow to determine oven temp before putting the bread in?
        Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Last weekend I did an inaugural cook on my BGE (overnight brisket) with the Auber and Mav733 probes (both new) within an inch of each other. I didn't do an initial calibration, but they seemed within a degree or two of each other after the lid was down and the heat stabilized. So, like BigBear, I only used the Maverick for remote (bedside) reassurance.

On another note (Auber owners), did you find it necessary to auto-tune your unit? I had mine set for 225 and saw it routinely stray +/- 8 degrees with plenty of fuel left (both early and +10hrs into the cook). I didn't seal up the BGE vent with the thermal tape (left of the adapter plate), so I know some air was seeping in there. This doesn't seem like typical Auber behavior based on the info I've read here on AR.

Comment

EubieQ I didnt run the auto-calibration but my auber has kept within 4 degrees of target temp. Like Doc Hazard stated above I am having issues of temp differential between my auber readings and Et-732 readings. They are between 12-17 degrees off and I have the alligator clamp attached directly to the ET-732 probe. Not sure what is going on.

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the reply. That sounds like at least one of your probes is on the fritz or something. Reading over the Auber manual, the 'Poor Accuracy' section specifically says to calibrate the probe in liquid and not air since "some of our sensor has response time > 10 minutes in the air". I'm going to do that prior to my next cook along with trying out the auto-tune feature to see if that minimizes my degrees from target set point.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here