Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SMOBOT ? Tell us more...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMOBOT ? Tell us more...

Based on posts by Oak Smoke and painter and others, we've learned about the SMOBOT.

Not being familiar with it beyond what we've seen on the Smobot website, it looks pretty pretty nifty for adding cloud/wifi control to any number of cookers -- including (surprising to us) the standard Weber Kettle

We know there are fans of this here, but tell us more. (And - has anybody tried the Kettle version yet?)

Also Henrik and LA Pork Butt use them, maybe they can jump in.

Comment

I use my Smobot on a Big Green Egg. It works opposite of most controllers in that instead of blowing air in it drafts air in by letting hot out of the top vent. I like the WiFi which allows me to make adjustments when I am inside of the house or away from the house shopping or in a meeting. It has an ambient probe attached to an alligator clip plus two meat probs which is enough for me. I can’t speak to how well it works on a Weber, but it has worked well on my Large and on my MiniMax Big Green Eggs. I think drafting the air gives more burn and less smoldering on low and slow cooks. Customer service has been very responsive when something went wrong in the middle of a cook. Any other questions I might be able to answer?

Comment

Wait... You're saying Smobot is not a BBQ version of ChatGPT?

Comment

• WayneT
          WayneT commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s worse. It has Huawei chip sets.

I have Smobot on both my Kamado Joes. One of them is the standard size classic and the other is a Big Joe. This tool is so easy to use, just set the temp and open the bottom vent a little less than half way. Even with lump charcoal it’s not unusual to do a 7 hour hot and fast brisket cook and chart a cook with the high temp being 305 F and the low at 295 F. I have no idea how it would work on a kettle, but would be inclined to believe it would do just fine. I haven’t ever felt I needed a fan to get higher temps. I have to second LA Pork Butt on their customer service. They have helped me quickly and accurately every time I’ve contacted them. A smobot is simple, it uses info from a clip on grate thermometer to set how open the top vent is. The step motor on the top vent has I believe 100 incriminates of movement from closed to wide open. The two food probes have never given me any problem.

Comment

So it generally automates the setup of “decide where to set the lower vent, and only adjust the top vent for temp control” philosophy?

what’s the general recommendation for how wide open to leave the bottom? For example the SnS insert says to keep the bottom vent at (let’s say) level 1 out of 5, and the top vent at about 1/4 open

If the bottom isn’t open enough, can smobot mistakenly kill a fire by closing the top vent too much? Or if the bottom is too open, can the temp be brought down enough?

there aren’t any real help or support docs on their site, so hard to evaluate details

Comment

On the Kamado they recommend leaving the bottom vent open 1/3 to 1/2. You could probably shoot them an email to get an definitive answer for the Weber.

Comment

I used it for my big green egg. Simple to use and gets the job done. I like it, and I like the fact that it regulates the exhaust/top vent instead of blowing air in at the bottom. I believe it gives you a cleaner burn.

I sold mine when I sold the big green egg. Never tried the kettle version.

Comment

I believe I've posted about using a Smobot before--maybe in a EdF thread (RIP)--and I'm posting again to echo the positive reviews here in the pit. I run my Smobot on a Primo LG and love it. Here's a screen shot of the Smobot temp maintenance during a recent baby back wib cook. Click image for larger version

Name:	smobot.png
Views:	154
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	1414333

Comment

• Oak Smoke
                  Oak Smoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In answer to the inevitable, yes it’s that good and easy.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here