Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a controller neccesary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razor
    commented on 's reply
    Everything in this post x2.

• Millwright1
    replied
    No,but wanted to see if I could get some rest and leave the grill/smoker unattended for long periods of time. Answer oh yeah.

Leave a comment:

• Rancherstriker
    replied
    Necessary? No
    Convenient? Hell yes!
    It takes out a lot of finnagling with the vents and stuff. After doing more than 100 cooks with my fireboard and fan, I just don't want to go back to play with the vents.
    Highly recommended. Which one is the best controller that's another question. I like my Fireboard V1 even though I had some issues at the beggining and the battery is crap. V2 should be solid, but I've seen people having firmware/software issues that leave them unable to use the device.
    No experience with thermoworks bellows, digiQ, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    Nope, but they are really nice to have. Especially for overnight cooks or on a day when you are busy and you really do not have the time to baby sit the cooker. I only use mine when I am busy but need to cook. Like I said, they sure are nice to have then.

Leave a comment:

• Millwright1
    replied
    Not a lot of time to play around with it this summer,work schedule "2nd trick"and putting up a new garage,but times I have had some success, had a 14 hr cook @ 225° on a pork butt with the signals,and bellows.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Need is a rather strong, an subjective term...certainly, one can make yer cookin easier, but 'need????

I tend t'wards them what thinks mebbe nope, ya dinna haveta have one...

Th Good Lord done give a ya a Controller, an hopefully it's planted squarely betwixt yer ears, all ready to go.

I'm not issuin an edict, jus tellin ya where I personally weigh in...

You Do You, an give us plentya pics an receipts, an th world will continue to turn joyfully, an alla us will benefit from yer input, Amigo!

Glad yer Here!

Leave a comment:

• Henry B
    replied
    Overnight, I sleep better and its just cool to watch from your phone and make adjustments while in bed (you probably won't) and not smelling like smoke. But for anything under a couple of hours, no. I just like em a lot

Leave a comment:

• big_mack
    commented on 's reply
    I opted for the FB 2 without a fan for now so i can learn to control heat myself with vents. Might get a fan for this coming winter.

• big_mack
    commented on 's reply
    I did end up purchasing a FB 2. No fan yet as I want to learn to control heat myself for a while.

• FireMan
    replied
    After two weeks of advice and "to control or not to control", what you do not need is more of it. So, welcome, eat good, which you will, and have fun!

Leave a comment:

• Jake435
    replied
    I'd say Fireboard 2 over the Thermoworks stuff for long cooks and controller capabilities. They're just more refined and the apps seems to be a bit more intuitive. I haven't tried using the Billows controller by Thermoworks but I hear that it's not as good as Fireboard's fan controller while it will work with the Smoke X. I used to use Flame Boss to control my kettle grill back in the day, but upgraded to Fireboard, then to the Fireboard 2 when it came out after considering going with Thermoworks + Billows but the pros didn't outweigh the cons especially since I already had the controller to work with the Fireboard stuff. Here's some comparisons of the various options, which more or less supports my take https://smokingmeatgeeks.com/meat-thermometers/
    Last edited by Jake435; August 5, 2021, 05:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    replied
    I like setting my controller and walking downtown for beers.

Leave a comment:

• Joetee
    replied
    You will love your kettle and accessories.

Leave a comment:

• big_mack
    replied
    this was such a difficult decision to make just because of the dollar amount math. I could have got a two probe thermometer for around $70 Cnd and up to $140 that would have lasted me 6 months before I needed to upgrade. Once you jump in to ATC electronics its double that, but you get to add a fan. I decided to get the FB2 Drive in the end. No fan for a while. It cost me $350 Cnd. That's freaking crazy. Also purchased an SNS for $130. That's $500 in tools for a $160 original kettle. What I did and bought makes sense and I do love that I put money in to the right spots and the grill is the cheapest part. But its kind of crazy, to my wife especially. But its similar to the espresso machine math. Put all your money in to the grinder, not the maker, and you'll get great results. The original kettle is just a vessel. I'm glad I put my money in to the tech toys not the vessel. It makes sense. Get some basic tools and apply some basic skills and you'll get some great food. Once I get more confidence and adventurous and cook longer and in the winter I'll be glad I have that fan option. and maybe I'll have a couple of issues cooking in the winter on purpose, so I can have a meaningful discussion about why WE need a Weber Summit E6.

Much appreciate all the insight and advice. What a friendly forum. I'm going to have to subscribe before the rate goes up.
    Last edited by big_mack; July 27, 2021, 09:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by big_mack View Post

...I am leaning towards a cheap remote setup like the SNS 500 and live with that for a while then pass it on to someone else in a year or so and move up to a controller.
    Sounds like a good plan. As many have said, if you're a multitasker as you use your smoker, then an automatic controller setup is really nice. But that Weber Summit Charcoal that you're considering should run pretty true for most if not all of the cook, so getting to know it first is the way to go, IMO. You're going to love cooking on it, BTW.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here