Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a controller neccesary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After two weeks of advice and "to control or not to control", what you do not need is more of it. So, welcome, eat good, which you will, and have fun!

Comment

• big_mack
      big_mack commented
      Editing a comment
      I opted for the FB 2 without a fan for now so i can learn to control heat myself with vents. Might get a fan for this coming winter.

Overnight, I sleep better and its just cool to watch from your phone and make adjustments while in bed (you probably won't) and not smelling like smoke. But for anything under a couple of hours, no. I just like em a lot

Comment

Need is a rather strong, an subjective term...certainly, one can make yer cookin easier, but 'need????

I tend t'wards them what thinks mebbe nope, ya dinna haveta have one...

Th Good Lord done give a ya a Controller, an hopefully it's planted squarely betwixt yer ears, all ready to go.

I'm not issuin an edict, jus tellin ya where I personally weigh in...

You Do You, an give us plentya pics an receipts, an th world will continue to turn joyfully, an alla us will benefit from yer input, Amigo!

Glad yer Here!

Comment

Not a lot of time to play around with it this summer,work schedule "2nd trick"and putting up a new garage,but times I have had some success, had a 14 hr cook @ 225° on a pork butt with the signals,and bellows.
        Attached Files

Comment

Nope, but they are really nice to have. Especially for overnight cooks or on a day when you are busy and you really do not have the time to baby sit the cooker. I only use mine when I am busy but need to cook. Like I said, they sure are nice to have then.

Comment

Necessary? No
            Convenient? Hell yes!
            It takes out a lot of finnagling with the vents and stuff. After doing more than 100 cooks with my fireboard and fan, I just don't want to go back to play with the vents.
            Highly recommended. Which one is the best controller that's another question. I like my Fireboard V1 even though I had some issues at the beggining and the battery is crap. V2 should be solid, but I've seen people having firmware/software issues that leave them unable to use the device.
            No experience with thermoworks bellows, digiQ, etc.

Comment

No,but wanted to see if I could get some rest and leave the grill/smoker unattended for long periods of time. Answer oh yeah.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here