Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fireboard 2 plus pit viper or fireboard fan question, with weber 22 premium kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireboard 2 plus pit viper or fireboard fan question, with weber 22 premium kettle

All, I have both a weber kettle and fireboard 2 drive arriving soon, as well as a slow and sear. I may get a fan, either the pit viper or the fireboard, after i play around with what i have for a while first. So two questions: is there a preference for one of these fans over the other? and, as it look like i'd need to drill a hole in the kettle (gulp), does a 1 inch hole work for both of these fans?
    Thanks!

I can only speak to the Pit Viper and how well it works. I understand the Fireboard fan works just as well. 1" hole is all you need for the PV, again not sure but I think the FB fan requires the same.

Comment

• Primo
      Primo commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, that's very helpful! I see there are two Pit vipers, one with stainless exterior, I guess a more powerful fan? Do you have a view as to which of these is best for the kettle?

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Their smallest all black bodied fan works just fine. I use it in a 22" and 26" kettle as well as in my WSMs.

Also when drilling your hole, be sure to invest in one of these step drill bits. They cost like $10 on Amazon but well worth it, zips right through your Weber side wall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	step bit.jpg
Views:	805
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	1048921

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Stop and think, people really don't want a drill bit, they want the hole.
      I have never seen any holes for sale, except donut holes. Go Figure.
      This may be boring, so I will keep on stepping.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      bbqLuv Dude you been hitting the PBR again? You need to lay off the sauce

I too can only speak to the Pit Viper fans. I have one for each of my two kettles. They've permanently lived on the kettles for the past 3-4 years with zero issues. I'm sure the FB fan is top notch like their other products. Can't speak to what size hole is needed, but I'm sure they will tell you with a simple email.

Comment

What Troutman said. I use FB + Pit Viper, and am very happy with the combo. Can't say anything about the FB fan, as I haven't tried it. I'm sure it works just fine. And yes, use that step drill, real easy.

Comment

Don't know if you saw this sticky.

Comment

• Primo
          Primo commented
          Editing a comment
          I did not! very helpful, thank you!

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Ahh yes the Rod-ster How To post. That is a good one, very comprehensive.

I have the WSCG and I found the FB fan wasn't strong enough to keep temps up consistently. I got a pit viper and it is all good now. It could have been user error because it is me, but I don't think so. I also used an old party guru for a while until my kid thought it was cool how it made bubbles in the tub....

Comment

I have a first generation FireBoard fan and it works fine. It's perfect enough to reach and maintain temps on my VOS for the most part. If I wanted to get to and keep it much above 300°F it might struggle, but I really, if ever, want to do that. The second gen looks like it's a bit easier to use as far as the attachment method is concerned, but that's just based on photos. I bought the new kettle adapter port to use it on my Weber Smokey Joe/Mini-WSM and I really like it.

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Correction: It's called the Nozzle Adapter. A 1" hole is sufficient for this adapter. Due to the way it installs, I believe there is some leeway as to the size of the hole.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here