Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FireBoard Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FireBoard Issues

I purchased a FireBoard 2 Drive from FireBoard. The 1st one I received was defective with dirt between the case and screen. Then instead of the new one I was told would be sent, I received a used one with old firmware and two different serial numbers. The serial # in the firmware didn’t match the one on the unit. It would not pair on Bluetooth. That is either incompetence or dishonesty.
    Attached Files

And here I am considering purchasing a Fireboard. Contact them and see how they deal with it...again.

Comment

Waiting for Tuesday.

Comment

It gets worse. I tried using the original one that arrived with something under the glass. In spite of being fully charged, it could not run a Pit Viper fan without the charger attached even with a fully charged battery, So, I was sent two different unusable FireBoard 2s for my $250.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
          JimLinebarger commented
          Editing a comment
          I think I read where you need to have it plugged in to run the fan.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Not true, they are programed to only run 80% fan speed I suppose to save battery life. Fully charged, you should be able to run your Pit Viper without plugging it in.

i just received my drive on Thursday and it works great with my Fireboard fan. The program shows both the original Fireboard and the 2 Drive

Comment

They are a great company with a great product. I would give them the benefit of the doubt and a chance to make it right, which I'm sure they will.

Comment

Not to discount your positive experience with them, First, they shipped me a unit with dirt between the case and the screen that cannot power a Pit Viper fan without the charger plugged in. As a replacement they sent out a used unit with two different serial #s and old firmware as new. That is not something a great company does. How does one exactly make that "right"? Why should I expect that anything they send me at this point is anything other than a refurbished unit? I plan on returning both units and if I decide to repurchase the unit, I'll do so through a reputable reseller who is less likely to have refurbished units in stock. I see a lot of mixed feedback about this company. Some people love them and other's complain of lackluster customer service and being ghosted.
            Last edited by Truckbutt; June 1, 2021, 05:23 AM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              This is so counter to my experience with them that I'm at a loss to understand it. I have had the owner of the company (Ted) responded to my email questions over a holiday weekend and help me resolve problems. Also, I have been dealing with them for 5 years (since the beginning) and do not have just 1 positive experience. They have a track record. Anyway, I'm sorry to hear of your issues.

Wait--you ordered a new Fireboard Drive 2 unit directly from Fireboard and they (by now) have sent you two refurbs instead? Did you speak directly with the company?

I've never had anything but excellent service from them, either for help on the help line or in replacing a faulty probe for free even though I told them I had inadvertently dropped it in the fire.

Sounds like the shipping people there need a good talking to from the management.

Let us know what happens with this. Maybe your complaints will straighten them out for the rest of us as well. Stuff like this needs to be nipped in the bud.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; June 1, 2021, 07:04 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here, something doesn't add up. I've talked with them on numerous occasions and they have always been most helpful. I had an original unit go completely down and they replaced it with a new unit no questions asked. Had that one going on about 2 years now.

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
            Wait--you ordered a new Fireboard Drive 2 unit directly from Fireboard and they (by now) have sent you two refurbs instead? Did you speak directly with the company?

I've never had anything but excellent service from them, either for help on the help line or in replacing a faulty probe for free even though I told them I had inadvertently dropped it in the fire.

Sounds like the shipping people there need a good talking to from the management.

Let us know what happens with this. Maybe your complaints will straighten them out for the rest of us as well. Stuff like this needs to be nipped in the bud.

Kathryn
            1. Yes. The first one had dirt under the screen and could not operate a fan (Pit Viper) without the charger plugged in even with a fully charged battery. There are multiple posts and reviews indicating the FB2Dx can operate a fan on battery alone. The 2nd had two different Serial #'s, old firmware, and could not pair Bluetooth.
            2. I have sent multiple emails and pictures. I'm waiting for a response.
            3. Thank you.
            Last edited by Truckbutt; June 1, 2021, 07:42 AM.

Comment

I got a perfunctory apology from FireBoard with no explanation for what happened, only that it shouldn't have. They insisted that the units were "new" in spite of the mismatched serial numbers, outdated firmware, and inability to pair. They refused to refund my original shipping or my return shipping.
              What do I think a reasonable solution would have been? A reputable company would have offered to overnight a new unit at their cost. That didn't happen.

Comment

With whom were you speaking, Truckbutt ? In escalated situations such as this, I ask to speak directly with a manager or owner (for a small business). To me, it's important to speak with someone who has the power to say "Yes", not the underlings who only have the power to say "No". You deserve a complete multiple shipping refund, plus a brand new unit that is new and works as advertised. This Fireboard behavior is distressing.

Kathryn

Comment

To me, this would be a "call the credit card company and raise hell, do chargeback" thing at this point. It wouldn't matter to me if Fireboard eventually made it right, I'd not trust them.

Regarding fzxdoc 's point... good companies empower their frontline support people to say Yes. Bad companies do not. Sure, they might need, in some cases, to say "yes, but I need to get manager approval, I'll get back to you" but...
                  Last edited by rickgregory; June 1, 2021, 02:47 PM.

Comment

I appreciate the feedback. I've been dealing with Hayden Phillips. I also reached out on Facebook. They don't seem very concerned about customer satisfaction. Maybe it's all the reviews telling them what a great product they have. I guess it's also possible they're in a cash crunch and all the returned units are going out the door as new.
                    Last edited by Truckbutt; June 1, 2021, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• rickgregory
                      rickgregory commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yep. Time to call the CC company and chargeback the money.

Sorry to hear your issues. I’ve been using their product for several years without a single issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Dadof3Illinois View Post
                      Sorry to hear your issues. I’ve been using their product for several years without a single issue.
                      Thank you.
                      Companies are great until their not. Priorities change. Financial conditions change. I was not able to find any publicly available financial information to see if they are short of cash.

Comment

• BBQPhil
                        BBQPhil commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Maybe not short of cash, but sure short of common sense.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here