Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kitchen Aid meat grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kitchen Aid meat grinder

My wife wore out our hand mixer making holiday cookies...so of course I had to get a stand mixer!
    Now I need the grinder attachment,is the plastic one ok or should I get the metal one?
    Thanks for any input.

The metal one is nice but DO NOT EVER lose the cutting blade. Replacements are impossible to find. All of the replacements are for the plastic version.

I think that for occasional use the plastic one would be fine. If you grind a lot (either regularly or especially if you grind a lot at once) one of the other metal versions would be nice.

Comment

I have the metal one but I've used my Daughter's plastic one and I don't see any big difference. Both worked real well for minimal grinding. For what it's worth I didn't like the sausage stuffer that went with it and wouldn't recommend getting it. Just my opinion.

Comment

The plastic one is fine, I use mine several times a month. I've also got a stand alone Krups grinder that I've stopped using because it's not any better than the KA attachment. AsSkip said the sausage stuffer does kinda suck, but it does work for small batches once you get the hang of it.

Comment

I've had me both; havedta admit I like th metal one better, though th plastic works a'ight...done gave it away, to a neighbour, oncet I had gotten th metal one,share th love, right?
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 26, 2020, 07:23 PM.

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            I gave away my plastic one as well. There was nothing wrong with it...but decided that I HAD to have the metal one. LOL Didn’t really need two though.

Both work pretty well. With all grinders if you keep everything cold and remove the elastin/sinew, you do pretty well.

I have had the mixer motor get pretty warm on larger batches so more than say 5 lbs at a time you’ll want to take some breaks.

Comment

I have the plastic one and it works fine. I don’t do a lot, btw. If you do lots,I would guess the metal would be better because it might stay colder longer?

Comment

I bought the metal version because I had read about issues with the plastic. No first hand knowledge, and can't compare the two, but the metal version works great and I have confidence it will last. My first few batches I also used the stuffer, but ended up buying a separate dedicated stuffer which is easier to use.

Comment

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree totally. A dedicated stuffer outshines the KA, especially for big batches.

I have a dedicated grinder but for some small grinding projects I grind with our Kitchenaid and personally like the metal one better. As pointed out above, it does stay colder longer than the plastic one.

Comment

I had the plastic one years ago, thought it was fairly flimsy but it worked. Just got this one for Christmas.
                Metal Food Grinder Attachment for KitchenAid Stand Mixers Includes 2 Sausage Stuffer Tubes,Durable Meat Grinder Attachment for KitchenAid,Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RZLR9ZT..._QR-5Fb4YMCVCH
                Seems sturdier. Will see how it goes.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  >SPOILER< It's Better >/SPOILER<
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 28, 2020, 06:04 PM.

Thanks everybody for all your responses, I'm thinking metal sounds like the way to go!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't think ya'll regret that decision, any time, soon, like...

Jus Sayin...
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 28, 2020, 07:20 PM.

I never used the metal one but I thought the plastic one was rubbish - slow and not a very good grind. We bought a dedicated grinder and we're very happy with it. We have this one. It's discontinued but you can find them used. https://www.onestopjerkyshop.com/pro...-meat-grinder/

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As one who tends to choose their words wisely, an carefully, if not allways spail them, up, all kinda proper-like:

I think 'Rubbish' has a Certain Ring to it, when describin th plastic grinder, but there are many, out there, vastly more wise, an experienced than myself, an I most Certes, defer to them...
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 29, 2020, 12:45 AM.

The metal one ground OK (but I don't have any comparison outside of the store stuff) but it IS kind of slow. If you want to grind a few pounds at a time, it's fine. I wouldn't buy it if I regularly needed to grind 20lbs of meat, but I don't and I have a small kitchen.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Small kitchen, here, as wail...

Kinda Tiny-Like, Actually...

But I'd LOVE to haves me an LEM grinder and or stuffer, (BOTH),jus No Kinda Place fer em to even live, at present
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 29, 2020, 12:49 AM.

Metal stays colder longer when you freeze it prior to making sausage, or just about any high fat grinding.
                Last edited by texastweeter; December 29, 2020, 12:33 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  True Dat, whassup, Tex???

Ain't heared much from ya, in reckon it's been goin on over a coon's age, hopin all is wail, thereabouts, fer th moment...???

Alla Yall, Please stay Safe, an Well... we'll go from there, later, I'd haveta reckon / hope...
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 29, 2020, 01:01 AM.

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mr. Bones all is well on the Calhoun compound. Just holdin'down the fort. Been busy as a one legged man in an @$$ kicking contest.

Originally posted by Texas Larry View Post
                I had the plastic one years ago, thought it was fairly flimsy but it worked. Just got this one for Christmas.
                Metal Food Grinder Attachment for KitchenAid Stand Mixers Includes 2 Sausage Stuffer Tubes,Durable Meat Grinder Attachment for KitchenAid,Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RZLR9ZT..._QR-5Fb4YMCVCH
                Seems sturdier. Will see how it goes.
                I agree, I have something similar - with a metal nozzle. And I quite like the way it works!
                I used the plastic one from a neighbor. Also works pretty good, but mine seems better to me))) I think it's a matter of habit. They both do their job perfectly)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here