Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air Fryers??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a Ninja Air Fryer and it works well. Favorite recipe is "fried" onion rings to go with our steaks.

Comment

Pricey (but on some good sales now) is the Breville Smart Oven Air. Works very well as an air fryer and all-around oven. Extremely large interior and since owning it (and before it the regular, smaller Smart Oven) I seldom (as in once every few years) use the oven built into the stove. At my house the BSOA gets used every day at least.

Comment

We have a Breville BOV900BSS Smart Oven Air Convection and Air Fry Countertop Oven which is very good at most things. It doesn't broil the best and the air frying function didn't seem to work well. However, we only tried it once. It has a 2 speed fan. We really like this over our old Cuisinart.

Thinking that a "true" air fryer would be better, we purchased a CROWNFUL 19 Quart Air Fryer Toaster Oven, Convection Roaster with Rotisserie & Dehydrator, 10-in-1 Countertop Oven. Last night we tried fried chicken tenders. Didn't go well. Chicken cooked much faster than the coating so it was doughy. Possible issue with the chicken could be that we used our standard oil fried chicken recipe and not one from the recipe book that came with the Crownful. Will need to experiment more with both systems.

Comment

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          You'll find that the BSOA needs more temperature and a little more time compared to "dedicated" air fryers, but it's the price you pay for more capacity. I do chicken tenders by coating them with panko that I have seasoned and then spraying them lightly on top with olive oil. 400F for 18-20 minutes on air fry mode. I don't flip them.

No pictures in comments, so: Chicken tenders. I start with raw, thawed tenders and shake them with panko. I season the panko with Italian herb blend, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders, and sugar. I don't measure but approximately in 1/2 cup of panko about 1 tsp of each of the rest. If you want more color you can add paprika. I don't use the Breville rack, instead I use one of those copper crisper trays. Much easier cleanup.

Put the seasoned panko in a baggie and then add the tenders and shake well to coat. I just use the wet tenders and don't use any binder. Put the tenders on the tray and then you can sprinkle more panko from the bag on the top of tenders. Lightly spray the top of the tenders with olive oil cooking spray (or regular). Cook at 400F on air fry mode for 18-20 minutes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	chicken-tenders.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.2 KB ID:	944699

Click image for larger version  Name:	71ywIAFBcvL._AC_SL1100_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.3 KB ID:	944700
        Last edited by mgaretz; November 24, 2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

We bought one very similar to this a couple of years ago. Does a decent job on wings, great for frozen fries, onion rings etc. We have used it for brussels too. Comes in handy when we don't want to use the stove. We like it because it has shelves instead of a basket. They sent a rotisserie kit, but the space is so small that it is next to useless.

https://www.amazon.com/Chefman-Digit...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Comment

We have the Big Boss air fryer and love it. Big capacity. Great for a ton of foods - as others have pointed out. It’s also awesome for heating up leftovers!

Comment

I have a Breville Smart Oven Air

I absolutely love it and use is 75/25 compared to my regular oven. Cooks up to a 14lb bird - air frys, proofs, convect, etc etc. Takes up some counterspace but well worth it IMO

Comment

I recently purchase a Instant Vortex from the Instant Pot store on Amazon and really like it. I bought the 7 in 1 version to replace my old toaster oven and it has been pretty solid. https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Vorte...st_sto_dp&th=1

There is no bottom burner so the toast doesn't brown evenly on both sides like a normal toaster. I just flip it over once. It does make awesome baked potatoes with crispy skin. I love it for heating frozen fries, onion rings, and chicken wings. I cooks faster than a your oven so you have to keep an eye on it. I basically put everything in at 400 and let it do its thing. It does frozen mozzarella sticks in about 5 minutes. My only complaint is that there is nothing from keeping the shelves from falling out if you pull it out part way.

Comment

My wife got a vertical one off QVC about 6 months ago for $60 and for what we have tried it works pretty well. As others have said frozen fries, tater tots, wings, potato skins and bacon all come out very good. Bacon takes 6-7 minutes (turn it after 3 minutes) and comes out flat. My wife wanted to make sure the removable basket was 2 pieces. This helps as something like bacon will drip through into the outside container. I was real skeptical about this purchase but it does work/clean up as advertised.

Comment

• Bkhuna
                    Bkhuna commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They are a bacon makin' machine. Once you learn to make the small adjustments it's a very versatile appliance.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here