Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anova Precision Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anova Precision Oven

I was presented an ad for a new oven from Anova. It's a combination of sous vide without a bag and convection.

Here is the official video:

Here's a sales pitch:

(BTW, why would one have spectacle frames tattooed on one's arm?)

And finally, the website.

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-prec...I7S-zYxelNoD6w

Bring your $600, stand orderly please, no pushing or shoving....

Comment

I made my wife get me one for my birthday. I must admit that I wasn't entirely sure how much it would be used or how much utility it has. I'm happy to report that it immediately replaced out Breville toaster oven (the one that Alton Brown loves so much), and we prefer it for 95% of anything that we'd normally use our standard kichen oven for. It is a toaster oven, air fryer, sous vide device, proofing box, "bread machine" (kind of), and much more. The water tank is maybe 15% empty after 2 months of use. It heats up crunchy fried foods like no other device, and can also gently reheat my brisket with steam. It has an integrated temperature probe. I highly recommend it, and I am pleased to say that it has become the dominant workhorse in our kitchen.

Comment

Tempting. How long has it really been out?

Comment

Color me skeptical. I'll wait until there's enough of them out there where we can get real world feedback. Besides, it's footprint is pretty big and capacity isn't all that large.

Comment

There are a good amount of reviews over at reddit.

Comment

Have had mine since last year (October - part of second batch shipped). It's a sweet little oven for all the reasons coreyo mentions.
              The thing I was most skeptical of is the bagless sous vide feature but it works as claimed.

Comment

The oven size is perhaps the most awkward thing about it. It's actually not THAT big of a footprint, as it's massive size probably has more to do with the fact that it's taller and deeper than a large toaster oven (but only marginally wider). I didn't expect it to fit where our Toaster oven was, but it did. I haven't done exact measurements, but practically speaking the inside chamber is 2 - 3x that of our Breville toaster oven, and roughly half the size of our main kitchen oven. There's very little wasted space, as the inside chamber is almost as big as the unit itself, with the surprisingly large water tank being a thin ~1" rectangle along the right side. You can refill it mid-cook without removing it, but I think you'd need to do full steam for a week to exhaust the entire tank. The heating elements are recessed and don't really stick out into the chamber, so you don't have any wasted space on the margins. While the overall dimensions of the unit are just about the only compromise that I see in the design, I've found that they made it just big enough to accommodate almost anything that you'd want to make (i.e. Full-sized Turkey, Brisket, Beef Loin, Lasagna, etc.). The only awkward part about it is the pan. It comes with a flimsy "3/8" sheet pan that seems to be custom sized. It is slightly too small for a regular half sheet pan. I often just use the quarter sheet pans that we got for my toaster oven. I'd love to find some sturdy aluminum sheet pans sized to fit the oven.

Comment

• Old Glory
                  Old Glory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How hard is it to clean?

• coreyo
                  coreyo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hmm... I'm not quite sure. Among other things, I've done several rounds of air "fried" chicken wings and they splatter quite a bit. The good news is that there aren't really any nooks and crannies. The heating elements don't stick out into the chamber, so it's very easy to scrub. Much easier than a conventional or toaster oven. However, there's no magical non-stick surface on the inside. If you have baked-in grease spots, you have to use elbow grease and a proper solution to remove them.
                  Last edited by coreyo; June 21, 2021, 03:28 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here