Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does MCS extend to accessories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does MCS extend to accessories?

I’ve been toying lately with getting a meat slicer, but looking online it seems that many of the homeowner models aren’t quite up to snuff/durable enough to more than very light use.

Then comes along FaceBook Marketplace getting me into trouble again! And then the grinder next to the slicer caught my eye too!

I have a top round currently defrosting to get sliced up for sandwiches and I see lots of ground beef/sausages in our future.
    Attached Files

Super Duper Nice Score, Brother!!!!

I can field strip, an put that Hobart back together again in less than 60 seconds, blindfolded... btdt

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      "This is my slicer...
      There are many like it,
      But this one is mine..."

Ooorrraaahhh...

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      This is my slicer, this is my gun. This is for eating, this is for fun...

Initial purchase is just the start. Then you must improve on it! Once you have accessorized, then it is time to try a new thing to begin again. Best way to learn.

Comment

Technically that's MGS, or More Gear Syndrome, but as it just encompasses a larger amount of stuff than MCS it's the same thing. And as Bonesy said, I can have that slicer apart and back together in under a minute. And with some practice I probably wouldn't even lose any fingers.

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        It helps if you unplug it first.

• zzdocxx
        zzdocxx commented
        Editing a comment

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        gcdmd True, but the other way is self critiquing. LOL

Yep. Next comes the stuffer and then more totes, and then another fridge to handle the totes, etc, etc and etc...🙂

Comment

• Loren
        Loren commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, now you need luggers! 😁😎🥳

*Cough https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Co...6620PHHYA3C9A9 cough*
        Last edited by Loren; July 25, 2020, 07:26 PM.

• USMCCrashCrew89
        USMCCrashCrew89 commented
        Editing a comment
        The porch fridge, which was previously the kitchen fridge when I was a single cave dweller used to sit right about where that dishwasher is now. Slicer is my reward for (finally) finishing up a kitchen renovation that’s been a work in progress for just about a year.

A stuffed is on the next gear list along with a dehydrator. Haha

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Meat lugs are mandatory, at this point, yup...

And then a foot pedal control for the grinder......................................just tryin' ta help...............

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, how could I forget that!

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Funny thing is...my Foredom "flex shaft" tool that I use in jewelry making has a pedal control. The Foredom is like a Dremel on steroids. And I'm thinking at ALL sewing machines have a foot pedal...

And yet...that's not something that the likes of KitchenAid offer. It would be great when using the grinder...but even more useful when the pasta or sausage stuffing attachments were running. Somebody over there NEEDS to make this a thing.

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        surfdog , already done,https://www.amazon.com/Control-36209.../dp/B01N7B0VW9 how most food grinders are made to work for stuffing as an example.

Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) manifests itself in many forms (MCS is just one of many). Once you have it, it's incurable. And changing hobbies just brings on a new form of GAS that you didn't see coming. Here's an example, and a pretty good breakdown of it:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guit...yndrome-585947

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        GAS, a subset of MCS. Now that's funny !!!

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        MCS is the daddy, GAS is the kid. Yes, this is the Pit!

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        As the owner of 30+ guitars...I can tell you it's real. LOL
        I don't agree with all of their reasonings...but it's still a thing. And I AM an addict.
        I cannot go into a guitar shop without feeling the need to purchase "just one more." LOL

I’d say that GAS is stronger than MCS. It’s hard to justify $5000 for a cooker. But I’ll rationalize $100, fifty times, without blinking an eye.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        The $100 feeds the $5000. 🕶

• Jared49
        Jared49 commented
        Editing a comment
        I resemble that remark!!🤓

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        All
        Day
        Long

So I got my chance to finally slice some beef last night and I think I was able to justify the purchase with the better half! About a quarter of that went towards Italian beef sandwiches and the rest was portioned out and vacuum sealed for future meal planning.
      Attached Files

Comment

• zzdocxx
        zzdocxx commented
        Editing a comment
        Funny I was just asking about meat slicers last week, specifically for top round. It was the first top round roast I got to come out tender, which I achieved by a SQ method. So yeah I have a long *ss carving slicer knife but my results can't compare to those lovely extra thin and uniform slic s that you got, kudos!

It's a Hobarth, is it?

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        zzdocxx Hobart makes proper industrial machines. If you find one, new or used, at a price that you can live with...go for it.

• USMCCrashCrew89
        USMCCrashCrew89 commented
        Editing a comment
        What surfdog said. It’s an older Hobart a 1612 model. I haven’t the slightest clue what difference there is between the model numbers, other than the last two numbers seem to be the size of the blade and odd numbers front two numbers are automatic slicers and even are manual.

I’m just glad that we have an older (late 1800-early 1900) and have one base cabinet that is about 36 inches deep, which makes it perfect storage.

Advice to the unmarried:
      I used to listen to Car Talk regularly. One of my favorite exchanges was with a guy who was debating buying a new torch or welding machine. After some discussion one of the guys asked him if he was single. He replied in the affirmative, and Click and Clack emphatically advised him to "LOAD UP NOW!"

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I loved me some Car Talk!

When it comes to any purchase related to outdoor cooking or food prep I'm fortunate that my bride and I have an understanding so there's no need for me to get acquiescence. Of course there's a kicker...................... She's got her horse which I, in reciprocity, don't get a vote on expenditures. I'd call it a fair trade except that any of you that know about horses are well aware that I'll NEVER catch up no matter how much stuff I acquire.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        A good friend of mine has horses for his wife and daughter. You are right - no way you will ever even get close to catching up.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        You could buy a boat or an antique car.

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        A friend once complained how much his wife spent. I said, "No woman could EVER outspend a motivated man." I truly don't want to know what I've spent on guitars. My camera/filming gear could easily buy a car...or several. Yes, some is for business...but some I simply "needed." (Read: wanted) The same applies to MCS. 1 or 2 cookers would probably cover 90+% of everything most people "need." And yet some of us have 5-6 cookers, or more. Plus accessories. Unless it's a race horse, it's no contest.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

Comment

• jgg85234
        jgg85234 commented
        Editing a comment
        He who acquires and gets to enjoy before he dies is the real winner
        I've had to fight a lot of medical battles the last few years, but I'm sticking around to keep enjoying the stuff I bought when I was younger.
        Jim

I am all with surfdog above. I think of my woodworking shop, my audio system, my Harley and gear, etc. My bbq gear is in far last place. Plus bbq has an award. You get to EAT it! 😋

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here