Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kitchen Aid Grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kitchen Aid Grinder

Ok. I remember discussing a KA grinder a few times and the latest by the KA Grinder Whisperer Meathead So this was a last second video, again.

I apologize for the noise and I was talking a bit fast during this one handed, gimpy debacle. (Rehabbing my shoulder and I got wrecked today, all great though)

I had a taste for meat and the princess has to eat too so meatballs it is.

After PT I headed straight to Sprouts and picked up a chuckie and hastily threw these together and the video.

Bottom line like anything else. Prep right the first time. just cut the meat to fit through the hole and forget about all the rest of the stuff. Sure cold helps but don’t stress about it. Even at 10x this amount you would have been fine. Large batch service is another issue though.

Hope this can help some one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EECA133E-62C8-4E11-BB28-59104ECB35D7.jpeg
Views:	380
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	803903

Click image for larger version

Name:	616A67EA-7E70-404B-8EC6-FEE6382FB7AF.jpeg
Views:	374
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	803904

Got a recipes for those awesome looking meatballs?

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      These were generic chuck grind and not what Mike is referring to below. With addition of garlic confit oil, onion, fresh basil, coriander and marjoram cooked down with a splash of sherry. Toss in vitamix, added to eggs and cream more of the same season less the fresh basil, salt and fresh pepper. Added to meat with panko and voila!!

I learned this method from you a year ago or so and it absolutely works as advertised. No goofing around with partially freezing the meat or equipment. Thanks for sharing the hot tip with your adoring fans!!

On another note, I hope your shoulder heals well. I'm 4 mos and 10 days after rotator surgery and just now starting to do some regular type stuff. Collette and took this 3 day weekend to re-lay our hardwood floors (warranty work from a partial product failure) and I still have some limitations. A long healing process I hope you avoid. Take that PT seriously and do your at-home exercises.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you my friend. They took the stitches out on Friday. I have about 95% movement and rotation back. I’m great. Weight is another issue while in those precarious positions. I’m back to work on Friday with some weight limitations.

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      I envy you HouseHomey. I am just hitting the 6 week mark after my rotator (plus bicep tendon, bone deburring and bursa removal). Still have 2 more weeks in the sling. Can't lift anything over 5 lbs with that arm, so definitely some cooking challenges. Glad yours is going so well!!

Plus love the video - I bought the metal KA attachment, but knowing how to use it without all the freezing fuss is a god-send.

Never had an issue with mine.

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Your grinder or your shoulder? 🙂

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Grinding his shoulders.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      oh, my shoulder grinds. Putting off rotator cuff/ruptured pectoralis tendon surgery until my hand is squared away. Donw HouseHomey
      Last edited by texastweeter; February 18, 2020, 04:22 PM.

I hate that stupid plastic pusher. I remember growing up my parents had a wooden pusher that came with their KA grinder. Wish I still had that thing. But I have never really had too many issues with my Kitchen Aid grinder. Just keep the pieces smaller than the hole and it works just fine.

Comment

Great video. Thanks so much!

Kathryn

Comment

Mine has a wooden pusher, but about the only time I used it was when re-grinding something, either to a finer grind after a coarse grind, or when I would add dried apples to my breakfast sausage. Hmmm...I need to do that again sometime....

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          That just made me hungry.

Thanks for this.

I do believe that swapping out my KA mixer for a new one has caused me a severe case of multiple attachment syndrome. I haven't given in and started buying them yet, but you just convinced me their grinder is a good choice and there's no reason to "upgrade" to a dedicated all metal grinder for anything I'd try to grind.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll disagree on the metal vs plastic only to this degree - the cost isn't that much different if you can catch the metal one on sale (I got it for $70). And for me, I dunno, I just think grinding and plastic and... no. But that's a gut thing, not a head thing.

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          I will admit I wasn't aware KA has both metal and plastic options, so there will be a lot to consider when I'm ready to make the jump.

• BigCountryQ
          BigCountryQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Jim White View Post
          severe case of multiple attachment syndrome.
          Is this a new entry into the Abbreviations list?!?! MAS

rickgregory I’m not really sure what you mean there. I’m a non technical type.

Ive had mine10 years (maybe) on this one and I grind a heck of a lot as compared for home cooking.

i think you reference debris?? I’ll take plastic v Metal but preferably none as I’m not sure there will be a difference???

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not sure what Rick is referring to, but the metal one is a notch better. A little faster, a little less bog-down, and a little easier to clean. No game changer for sure, but a nice, unnecessary upgrade. I gave my plastic one to a buddy and he uses the heck out of it.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Metal *feels* sturdier than plastic to me. Like I said, this is a gut thing not a brain thing, and I suspect that for many people the difference will be negligible, but the cutter and extruder discs being stainless steel have a feel of things that will never wear out. For me, given the $30 or so difference when I bought, I grabbed the metal version.

Great video, greater looking meatballs. My wife bought some frozen meatballs a couple of weeks ago (they were terrible), and I had to remind her we could make our own. When I show her these pics, I know she is going to want to pull the KA out of the pantry...

Comment

That's a good technique, but with pork butt I'm still going to chill it first since it has so much more gristle than a chuck roast.

Comment

Exactly how I’ve always used mine. Likewise, I don’t freeze/chill the meat or grinder before use...just make sure everything drops down the chute.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep. Actually that meat was a tad on the warm side as I was making a sauce behind me on the stove. I had to pull everything out.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here