Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My New (Old) Meat Grinder (And Other Equipment)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow those machines are something to see.

I must admit that it’s a little scary to see how your hand can bypass the "meat holder" and easily end up on the blade side of the push.

The day and age when stuff was built to last and common sense was required.

I felt like I was watching you on a documentary program. Love it.

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, not as safe as modern slicers. I am always very careful when using this - I do my best to have no distractions at all. Cleaning is actually the most dangerous time - easy to forget about how sharp that blade is while wiping it down.

• Porkies
      Porkies commented
      Editing a comment
      Myself, and other teens, were using similar butcher-shop appliances at a local grocery years back. One must be focused, cautious, and alert.

The only reason why (per the ER Docs) I still have the top half of my left middle finger is because of the way I put it back together when I sliced it on a slicer.

I use one all the time and never get over that fear. It hits me in the stomach every time.

Comment

Really worked the grinder this weekend (not really - it handled the volume well). My friend shot two bucks last week and, after a week of icing and rinsing, we ground 40 lbs of venison blended with 22 lbs of pork butt and pork belly. It took a couple of hours to remove the silver skin from the venison but the grinding took less than 15 minutes with a 3/16" plate. We vacuum sealed 34 bags of the ground venison/pork mixture. I took 1 1/2 lb to try a green onion sausage blend and it turned out great. My friend gave me some of the ground meat mix to play with so I'm going to make the green onion sausage and stuff and smoke it later this week.
      Last edited by 58limited; November 18, 2019, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Very cool, your right todays stuff cant compare

Comment

This grinder has really been profitable - meat-wise. I was given a doe by a friend who is on a management lease - they get extra deer tags to thin out the population. I ended up with 27 lbs venison to which I added 16 lbs of pork butt and pork belly - I made 43 lbs of sausage last weekend. This week another friend gave me a buck, I just de-boned it and removed the silver skin - it came out to 43 lbs of meat. I saved the backstraps and tenderloins, the rest (38 lbs) will be blended with brisket and ground for hamburger meat.

I may be getting another deer soon. Also, a friend is going after some axis deer in January (he wants two) and has asked me to grind some of it - he offered me half since he and his wife won't be able to eat it all.

Comment

I posted vids of my other two vintage deli appliances. Today I made a vid of the cube steak machine. I have two: a complete one and a parts unit. I just finished cleaning and moving the parts to the better looking unit and I tested it on some eye of round steak. Works great! With this, the deli slicer, and the grinder I can pretty much process all of my own meat.

Last edited by 58limited; December 25, 2019, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Latest vintage acquisitions:

1. A coffee grinder attachment for the Hobart 4312 motor unit. Tested it out on Wednesday and it works great!

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3109.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	846965

2. An original stainless tray for the meat grinder. The meat grinder didn't have one when I bought it but I found another #12 meat grinder with the tray on ebay and sent a low ball offer that the seller accepted. So now I have an extra meat grinder for the 4312 motor plus a tray - for cheaper than a new replacement stainless tray. I used the tray last month when making Italian sausage and it sure made the job easier.

EDIT 6/28/20: noticed the pic won't show, tried to repost and the site won't let me. I'll try a new post below.

Last edited by 58limited; June 28, 2020, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Tornado season is here. Lash yourself to that and you'll stay in place.
                Last edited by TheQuietOne; May 17, 2020, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Picture wouldn't post above, here it is.

An original stainless tray for the meat grinder. The meat grinder didn't have one when I bought it but I found another #12 meat grinder with the tray on ebay and sent a low ball offer that the seller accepted. So now I have an extra meat grinder for the 4312 motor plus a tray - for cheaper than a new replacement stainless tray. I used the tray last month when making Italian sausage and it sure made the job easier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3110.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	871694

Comment

I love all that good old stuff!

Comment

My newest (old) acquisition: another Cube Steak Machine: the Super Cube Steak Machine! This R2D2 looking machine has a smaller footprint and is much lighter than my other one despite the cast iron body. It weighs about 20 lbs, my other one weighs about 60 lbs. It is made by the same company. I disassembled it, cleaned it, and lubricated it tonight. The next time I'm at the store I'll buy a few thin cut eye of round steaks to test out.

The steaks load from the top and come out on the conveyor belt. It is hand cranked.

Front

Name:	cs1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	1409445
                      Back

Name:	cs2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	1409446

The blades

Name:	cs3.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	1409444

Comment

• STEbbq
                        STEbbq commented
                        Editing a comment
                        So the meat is not going to be cubed but actually sliced like a deli sliced? Cool machine!!

• STEbbq
                        STEbbq commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ooh..more of a tenderizer.

• 58limited
                        58limited commented
                        Editing a comment
                        STEbbq You run it through twice like RonB says in the post below.

aSTEbbq I don't think it slices all the way through. And if I remember correctly, ya load it with the grain first pass, turn it over and run the second side perpendicular to the grain. At least, that's how I remember my Aunt doing it...

Comment

It works! Spur of the moment chicken fried steak:

Click image for larger version  Name:	cs4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.00 MB ID:	1409590

Click image for larger version  Name:	cs5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.65 MB ID:	1409589

Its a pain to clean! Will only use when processing in bulk.

Comment

• Murdy
                          Murdy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          What did that start out as, round?

• 58limited
                          58limited commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Murdy Actually, its an oyster steak. Turned out really good too.

This weekend's project. On the right is 14 lbs lean venison and on the left is 16 lbs of brisket (lean - 9 lbs, fat 7 lbs). This grind came to about 47% lean venison, 29% lean brisket, and 24% fat. I didn't dissect all of the fat out of the brisket, especially out of the fatty end, so the fat level is probably closer to 25-26%.

I vacuum sealed 10 lbs in one pound increments and the other 20 lbs will become summer sausage: 10 lbs jalapeno cheddar and 10 lbs pepperjack. My biggest mistake was not checking to see in I had the high temp cheeses. I'm out of cheddar so will delay the jalapeno cheddar until the local butcher shop opens tomorrow.

Name:	venison_blend_11-11-23.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	1504705

Comment

What an awesome thread. Thanks for the updates. What else do you have in your kitchen from the 50s?
                          Last edited by STEbbq; November 12, 2023, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here