Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anova's Precision Oven (Steam Oven) - thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anova's Precision Oven (Steam Oven) - thoughts?

I received an email from Anova the other day about their Precision Oven or steam oven they are attempting to come out with.

I admittedly am not a professional chef and have not had the honor of playing with professional chef toys so this is a newer concept for me.

I am curious what some of you know about them, think about them, and the claims that Anova is making...

Here is the link: Anova Precision Cooker

And here is an exert from the article:

"In addition to unparalleled levels of precision, The Anova Precision Oven has the following benefits:
    • Foods can’t dry out. In sous vide cooking, foods can’t dry out because there’s nowhere for the water to go. A sealed oven full of humid air is just like a sous vide bag: foods can’t dry out because there’s nowhere for the water to go.
    • Faster cooking. Dry air is a poor conductor of heat. That’s why you can reach into a 300 degree oven with your bare hand unscathed. But an oven that’s saturated with steam transfers heat much faster.
    • No need to use a frighteningly hot pan to sear. We’re truly excited to be able to make something crispy without the omnipresent risk of a grease fire."

Thoughts? Comments? Experiences? Concerns? etc....

*as usual... sorry if this has already been a topic or posted about.

I have their original device and it works great. They have my interest with this as well as a few doubts.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Tell us a little about how you use one. I can see veggies for sure, but what about meat proteins?

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      I've used it on a variety of chicken, pork, and seafood recipes and had great success. Haven't done many meats with it. I love it for seafood because it makes it next to impossible to overcook shrimp, lobster, etc. Over the summer I have the time to grill and relax on the deck. Now that winter (and hockey season) is coming I'll be using it again. That way all I have to do is fire up the grill to do the final sear (or CI skillet on the stove). Hope I helped. If not let me know.

The two people who have steam ovens (not anova) have never used them but HEARD they’re great!

Apparently it’s the future! But they don’t even use them!

Comment

Meh.

Comment

I got an email from them a year ago about this. Then nothing. Thanks for the update

Comment

I guess the foods that can't dry out does not include lean meats with lots of connective tissue.

Comment

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            Thinking the same thing. When meat gets hot it sqeezes out the moisture no matter what. Boil a lean piece of meat in soup and it is as dry as a brick.

Ummm. I cannot see baking anything in a STEAM oven. I don't like my bread, cakes and pastries coming out of the oven all soggy!

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Dr. Pepper thanks for explaining how it works! No Wolf ovens in our future here - I'll be happy to replace the Kenmore wall oven I put in 20 years ago at some point!

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris Even if you can’t buy one, go to a dinner demo if it’s available in your area. Bradlee Distributors in our area has a caterer cook a multi course meal using the Wolf for about 14 guests. You contact them and sign up. No charge. You’re ”planning a remodel, and ’heard’ about the oven from some weird meat guy on this strange website!”

• Razor
            Razor commented
            Editing a comment
            Dr. Pepper Interesting, thanks for the info.

Saw this for sale this morning.
          Sharp ZSSC0586DS, Superheated Steam Countertop Oven, Stainless Steel

Click image for larger version

Name:	81uaAn6lnDL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	4195
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	750747

Comment

I have a Miele Combi Convection Steam Oven. Anova’s claims are accurate. In addition to being able to steam food and use it like a sous vide set-up, it can roast meats with added moisture (Miele lets you select the desired % humidity), bake goods with desired % humidity, and bake bread using steam to assist oven spring and crust formation (like a professional bread baker’s oven). The Miele oven permits combining steam and dry modes- the steam can be blasted out and poultry skin, meat exteriors and veggies, etc nicely crisped. Things like cakes bake up extremely moist. Adapting Recipes takes a bit of time, but in my opinion it’s time well spent. It seems to do everything better. By a wide margin. Having had this oven for about a year, I would not consider going back to a regular oven. The quality of the bread that can be achieved is by itself worth having it. Being able to cook veggies sous vide with no floating bags is an added bonus.

The steam oven (at least the Miele model I have) also has very little temperature drift. I’ve checked the oven under a variety of operating conditions with a calibrated thermometer from ThermoWorks, and it stays within +/- 2 deg F of its equilibrated temp (by that I mean the temp reached after 30 min, which may be a bit higher or lower than the set temp).

I hope this is helpful.

Comment

• Razor
              Razor commented
              Editing a comment
              Dr. Pepper You ever use the water bath to defrost?

• Dr. Pepper
              Dr. Pepper commented
              Editing a comment
              Razor I used to use a warm water bath to defrost. When we went to the Bradlee distributor Wolf Steam convection oven demonstration dinner (our second time, the first time was early in our home construction, the second time about a year after we had moved in, for the purpose of learning more about how to use what we had purchased!) they referred to a defrost mode. Our model didn't have that mode as a choice. When I inquired, they explained that the upgraded model simply used steam at 85ºF.

• Dr. Pepper
              Dr. Pepper commented
              Editing a comment
              continued, Razor Since that demo, I have used the steam mode at 85º and it works great. If you buy a current model, you will have a 'defrost' mode choice, but it would function the same. Water baths do work well, but I can throw a large chunk of frozen meat in a Food Saver vacuum bag inside the oven, turn it on, and come back in 45 minutes. Pretty convenient. I hope that helps.

It seems very similar to the Wolf steam oven that my Dad has at his place. It is fun to cook with, I am not sure about the claim that "food never dries out"

Comment

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              Claims are always problematic. Braised meat or meat in stews can be super dry even though it’s cooking -in- liquid. It’s the internal moisture that matters and that’s dependent on how much it’s overcooked.

Steam ovens are just another great cooking tool.. a lot of high end restaurants use them, and in NYC a few years back they outlawed sous vide (but only for a little while), so a bunch of the restaurants bought steam ovens instead.. some still use them instead of sous vide..
            Last edited by Fire&Water; October 2, 2019, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Dr. Pepper

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
              Dr. Pepper commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks David! You got my attention off Twitter so that I could respond.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here