Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pasta roller attachments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pasta roller attachments

I have two different stand mixers, both have the option of adding pasta rollers, etc.
    if you use this set up, are they built pretty strong? I’m also considering one of the Phillips electric pasta makers, any feed back on those as well? I’m starting to get a lot of interest in people wanting my pasta, but no way I can hand roll what the initial interest is showing.
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; March 2, 2023, 01:13 PM.

Not much to say, really: The KA pasta attachment (my only frame of reference) is all-metal, rock-solid, and very easy to set up and use.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Yepper. What CaptainMike said.

• Mark V
      Mark V commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, have that. The one KA attachment I am not happy with is the grinder/stuffer. Stuffing sucks, grinding is ok.

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed. I have used the KA Attachment several times this winter with good results. I'd highly recommend it. It's very easy to use.

I have the Kitchenaid attachments and they seem to be heavy duty. The only issue i have is with the fettuccine attachment. The rollers don't always make a complete cut through the pasta, you have to pull them apart. I have tried different speeds and drier pasta. Sometimes it works, but mostly not. I did Google it and there are many complaints with no real answers from Kitchenaid. I bought another brand attachment and have the same issues. Maybe somebody here has the secret.

Comment

I have gone through two KA rollers over the last 15 years. Broke both - my fault - trying to carefully clean with a towel. They are built great and have this safety feature so that the machine itself doesn’t snap when you do a stupid thing like I have done….twice.

I also have the extruder, which, I actually like better than the roller and cutters. But I like the pasta shapes more so. I did like making sheets for ravioli. That was fun!

Over time, when I wanted fettuccine or pappardelle or any other width, I just hand cut the pasta sheets after I loosely rolled or folded up. It was quicker and easier than using the cutters. Not sure if you are looking at the set of three or just a roller, but just a thought.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, for Ka, I was thinking just the roller, and I would hand cut. The pasta maker for actual shapes. But for now, the roller would suffice, although I would like to make my own elbow noodles for mac & cheese.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Richard Chrz - The extruder is fun. Large and small macaroni, rigatoni, bucatini and fusilli. For most things extruding - rigatoni is my go to. Great bite and size to allow for the sauce to get in the middle.

A buddy of mine has a pasta maker, forgot the brand but he got it at Willliams & Sonoma, and it does all. He likes it. Not sure why he got that over attachments for his KA.

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I have not really looked into the extruded from KA, but the one your friend has, also mixes the pasta, not a bad consideration when thinking of paying more for an extruded.

Another +1 for the Kitchenaid pasta attachments.

If the hand-cranked pasta machine was a Chevy Nova (small and practical, but definitely not anything fancy), you'll find the KA pasta attachment to be a turbo Porsche in your favorite color.

If you've tried both, you'll appreciate how much easier it is to make good pasta just by having better equipment available

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I have only rolled with a rolling pin so far, which I enjoy enough for just a bit here and there for myself, but, it’s a lot of work to factor into a day in the kitchen.

Thank you everyone, I’ve ordered the roller to start off with. Can not wait to play with it.

Comment

I have an all steel pasta roller attachment for my KA but it is noth their brand. Use it to make crackers as well as pasta. Cleaning isn't as easy as I would like, but other than that its good.

Comment

I have this one and I really like it…
          Attached Files

Comment

The roller certainly makes that easier!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	23A9F29C-F925-47AD-BD67-06ADD53AEA52.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	1390080

Comment

• Andrrr
              Andrrr commented
              Editing a comment
              Did you end up getting the KitchenAid brand one?

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              Andrrr I did, it is a lot beefier than it looks online.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here