Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kitchen Aid mixer questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My sister has one and uses it every year for Christmas cookies.

Comment

We have a KA Pro going on about 10 years, primarily use it for bread & pizza dough and baking, but we have the metal grinder attachment, which is still relatively light-duty compared to a dedicated grinder. I've done a few pound of ground beef or pork from time to time, and have used it several times to make a country pate. I do not find the metal grinder particularly hard to clean.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know about the cleaning aspect of the grinder. My dedicated one is a bit of a PIA to clean.

My mother in law had a Pro over 50 years ago. One of my daughters is still using it. Mom bought another one at a garage sale the neighbor across the street was having. She gave it to my wife 46 years ago. We have no idea how old it was when the neighbor sold it. The only problem it ever had was the speed control was touchy. I replaced a part about 25 years ago, I have no idea what it was. It finally gave out, and we bought a new one to replace it. We've got all metal attachments, because 50 years ago, that's what they made things out of. Use it to make bread, pizza dough, hot fudge, cakes and brownies. Back when I hunted I used it to make venison sausage. Never had anything it couldn't handle and if they don't last forever, 50 some years comes close.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        It seems like everyone loves these beasts. 50 years will definitely outlast me. 😁

After 40 years of marriage I've owned two Kitchen Aids. The first one is now in use at my daughter's house. I use mine regularly for doughs, cookies, cakes, pasta, candies... the list goes on. I have the grater and the meat grinder attachments. The single most important thing I make with it is Divinity. We make many batches during the holidays and through the year for special requests.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	102
Size:	480.7 KB
ID:	1346892

Comment

Originally posted by Murdy View Post
        We have a KA Pro going on about 10 years, primarily use it for bread & pizza dough and baking, but we have the metal grinder attachment, which is still relatively light-duty compared to a dedicated grinder. I've done a few pound of ground beef or pork from time to time, and have used it several times to make a country pate. I do not find the metal grinder particularly hard to clean.
        I think the grinder is fine for a few pounds at a time. I'd not want to do 25lbs etc on it. It's like the vacuum sealers. For the occasional use it's hard to justify much over $100 or so. But if you either seal a lot or seal a lot at a time. the higher end stuff is worth it Same here. If you need to grind a lot more than 5lbs at a shot, the KA would get annoying and I'd want a dedicated grinder. But for doing 5, maybe 10lbs of ground beef every once in a while, it's fine.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Said well. Plus, a dedicated stuffer with pedal controls is so much better it isn't even funny. I use the KA for 10lbs or less, but my LEM grinder and or stuffer come out for anything more than that.

Between my wife and I we've owned 3. The one I got before we were married is now at my Mom's. My wife's original one, which she got from her grandmother, is now waiting for our son to have a place for it. It was repaired once, the plastic knob on one of the controls broke, and then I made it stop working when I attempted to replace it. KA fixed it up in no time. I upgraded her to a 7QT Pro for Christmas last year, that thing's a beast! Handles double batches of cookie dough no problem. Between us we have a bunch of the attachments.

Comment

We have the same Kitchen Aid mixer we got when first married 37 years ago. Works like a champ. For years I used the meat grinder to process deer meat. I'll bet we've ran over 20 deer through that thing. It never missed a beat. I bought a commercial grinder from a friend a couple years ago and use that now. It is much faster than the Kitchen Aid Meat Grinder attachment, but for the money that attachment served us well for decades. Good luck and have fun!

Comment

One thing overlooked is pulling pork. I remove the bone from a whole bastion butt and use the KA to shred it up. Works fine and so much faster and easier, especially when i do 5-20 butts!

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              This will be a bonus. And I assume it will work the same for pulled chuckies as well.

I know Steve has made his purchase but for anyone else reading this far and considering the Pro - it's big. Significantly bigger than the Artisan model. I could see storing the Artisan in a cabinet and bringing it out for use but the Pro really wants to just live on a countertop. Not saying you can't store etc, just that it's bigger and heavier.

But, for bread, it might be the better choice depending on how much you're doing. The Artisan will handle a single loaf (1kg/2lbs) fine. But doing much more than that starts to strain it and there's no way you're doing 3+ loaves worth of dough in the Artisan and once.

Comment

• Bogy
              Bogy commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree. I would not want to try pulling ours out of storage and putting it back. If weight equals quality, this is it. One of our kitchens has one of the built in shelves with spring loaded hinges that you can put a mixer on and then pull it out of the cupboard when you want to use it. I don't know if it works with the KA because my wife is using it as a regular shelf and the KA sits on the counter.

• Dan Deter
              Dan Deter commented
              Editing a comment
              It is a bit wider and deeper. We found that it worked in the same height space because of not needing to tilt the head since the bowl lifts up. So a little more counter space taken up, but not enough to make a difference for us.

• RichieB
              RichieB commented
              Editing a comment
              Mine is the artisan 5 Qt. Timely post here. Tomorrow I'm doing 3X the recipe for Vermont Oatmeal Whole Wheat to give to our neighbors. That will include 12 cups all purpose and 4.5 cups a whole wheat. It didn't dawn on me that this volume the mixer couldn't handle. I saw this and did some online research. Sure enough, that volume ain't getting done in 1 batch. I'll do in 3 separate kneads then continue. Oh, the mixer is 1 of 4 on the counter. The others, coffee, Ninja Foodi and Breville oven.

We have one I use for bread and pizza dough. It is an older model and it works well. The plastic meat grinder, that I only use maybe 2-4 ties per year, has developed a nasty crack and I'll have to retire it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221219_220943.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1347271 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221219_220952.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1347272 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221219_221005.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1347273

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Make me glad I went with the metal one.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here