Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deep Fat Fryer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deep Fat Fryer

I am looking for a Deep Fat Fryer that sets on a table, electric unit that has a really good recovery time when cooking frozen produces for one, Fresh caught fish. Has maybe 1-1/2 gal capacity, Main goal is recovery time, needs to be fast. I have a turkey fryer which has a smaller 2gal pot just don't want the propane tank and all the mass and fire! I have searched Amazon eBay etc. Does anybody have any info, or suppliers in mind?
    Thanks
    Jeff

This one mentions fast recovery time in their description, plus….it has an oil filtration system built in! To me, that is a great thing. I always hated straining crumbs and stuff from the used oil so I can save it. It got good reviews also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5810AA67-6CC4-49B8-B319-0F98F56436BE.png
Views:	257
Size:	651.1 KB
ID:	1226292

Name:	F1CC2DA6-EA90-494D-9538-638E3896C028.png
Views:	249
Size:	765.8 KB
ID:	1226293

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Jeff, just noticed it’s oil capacity is .92 gallons, might not be big enough for you.

• BarbecueBob
      BarbecueBob commented
      Editing a comment
      I can recommend this one (if you can live with the smaller size). I like the oil filtering feature and the storing of the oil in a separate container. Temperature recovery is also good as long as you do not fry too much in one go.

• Grillin Dad
      Grillin Dad commented
      Editing a comment
      I actually bought this for a friend of mine as a house warming gift. It's pretty great. Capacity is a little limited, we've learned we can do about 6 wings at once. Recovery time is pretty quick. The self-cleaning option is great.

As an owner of a fryer, I will say trying to find an electric unit that will recover is difficult. Especially one that sits on a counter top. I was never able to find one, so I went with gas from RV Works. They make the best fryers out there. (IMHO) If fast recovery is your goal, nothing beats gas fired. Plus, with these units, the oil lasts a whole season. This is the one I have, but they do make smaller models. FF2R-ST 4 Gallon 2 Basket Fryer

Name:	FF2R-4-Gal-Blank-RH-Lid-Open-w-Bottle-2-Basket-up-1.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1226300

They are much safer than a turkey fryer that you mentioned above. There is nothing to tip over, no exposed fire over the oil and it is much more efficient while heating and maintaining temp.. The base is very solid and the fire is contained with in the unit so you never see it. (Except for the port to light the fire) Very quick heat up times, and the steel construction makes sure it retains heat very well. There is also plenty of BTUs available in the burner to catch up after putting anything in the fryer, if need be. It comes with two smaller baskets or one big one.

They makes all kinds of sizes and they are perfect for fish frys, wings, frozen foods etc. I have one at home and now have one at my friends cabin on Lake Vermillion. Nothing makes better wings, fresh fried fish, tots, fries etc.

Comment

• John Henry
      John Henry commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your helpful note here, Spinaker. Could you please add a few words about how you handle oil storage between uses with the RV Works fryer to extend oil use as you indicate, please?
      Thanks again to you and all the great team at AR!

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      This is the one I lust after, but the smaller one. However, my wife doesn't want to eat fried foods except on extremely rare occasions, so it's a no go for me.

• MsTwiggy
      MsTwiggy commented
      Editing a comment
      Gosh darn it Spinaker I never thought I would ever want a fryer until I came across this thread. 😑

John Henry You simply leave the oil in the fryer. That is all it takes. I fill it with peanut oil at the start of the season and let it go all summer. I fry wings 2-3 times a week. If you are frying a ton of things that are breaded heavily, then it will require a few drains and filters to keep the particulates out. However, because of the concave design, all the solids sink to the bottom of the fryer, right by the drain so it is easy to get rid of. The fire travels through a steel channel, in the middle of the oil reservoir, so the solids are not sitting on a hot bottom like you would have with a regular turkey fryer set up. (this design also leads to really even heating and recovery of the oil while cooking)

There is a really nice, brass drain valve on the back, so if you fry something that has a ton of breading and you want to drain and filter the fryer oil, you can do that after each use or whenever you see fit. I let the oil cool, then use paint filters over a 5-Gallon pail to filter the oil. Once the oil is filtered, you can simply pour it back into the fryer.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      A really stupid question but I can't help myself. The lid is only used as a cover and not for while you frying?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah you keep the lid up while frying. evaporated water needs to be boiled off while cooking. If the lid was down the water collects on the lid and goes back in the oil. Bad combo holehogg

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      I gathered that much, it's just I've learnt a few things hanging in the pit that have surprised me so I assumed maybe it was some kind of special lid contraption (like a KFC kettle thingy).

I shouldn’t have clicked on this thread. …MCS…

Comment

• RiverJeff
      RiverJeff commented
      Editing a comment
      So here another question or wise tail?
      I have been told to help with different flavors to cook quartered potato's to adsorb existing flavors that linger in the oils? right/wrong?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I have never noticed anything like that. The Heat kills all those flavors. RiverJeff

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      This place is the most expensive $24.95 on the internet.

I agree with Spinaker, the RV Works and the Bayou Classic fryers are awesome!!! I just cooked 100 wings and some rib tips this past weekend and it handled it like a champ. Last season I did 20 lbs of fish and 15 lbs of fries in less than 40 mins. I use the Bayou Classic which is the stainless version I believe.
    Clean up is easy, just drain the oil, fill with water and dawn dishwashing liquid and let it boil for a few mins then drain wash out and wipe down.

Name:	fryer.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1226364
    Last edited by Dadof3Illinois; May 25, 2022, 11:11 AM. Reason: Added a pic

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yuuuuuuuuup

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats what I do as well every April weather it needs it or not.

Y’all had to go and do it to me. Not that it takes any incentive for me to make up a batch of wings. 😁 Pre sauced Click image for larger version  Name:	44620F79-C945-4F45-A57C-F4EB202CE73B.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.66 MB ID:	1226614

Comment

• RiverJeff
      RiverJeff commented
      Editing a comment
      And That's what I'm talking about!!!

For indore use, I have an electric farberware turkey fryer. Been going strong 4 years.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Holds about 2 gallons of oil or water (can be used for boiling). Dial rheostat to adjust temp. Probably 20 minutes to come to temp. Fairly good recovery. Cleaning is attaching a spigot, draining old oil, removing element, then scrubbing g it all down. I then fill with water and boil for about 10 minutes before draining and letting dry. We use it pretty heavily.

• RiverJeff
      RiverJeff commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you buy this online? Sounds great!

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Walmart if memory serves me, but that was a lot of bottles ago.

I'd like to have one of those big fryers - but they're outdoor only, they're monstrous and they cost almost $500. It's a no go.

Comment

• RiverJeff
      RiverJeff commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your notes!
      Jeff
      @Dadof3IIIinois

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      They are not that big, yes they do make big ones. But mine takes up less room than a Weber Kettle or PBC.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      What Spinaker said. The ones we have do not take up much space at all.
      The only downside is that I have to wheel it into my garage after using it. BUT. That’s not a chore at all. A 1 minute task. As that’s where I keep it.

Thank you to all!
    After all I'm a changed man!
    Looks like a new style propane model is coming home!
    Thanks everybody for all your help!
    Jeff
    Last edited by RiverJeff; May 27, 2022, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here