Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need A New Blender/Food Processor….Any Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need A New Blender/Food Processor….Any Recommendations?

You guys suck! Thanks to barelfly I found out I’m gonna need a new blender. He posted an awesome Carne Adovada recipe yesterday which requires blending some dried red chili peppers. I’ve got an old piece of crap blender which probably needs replacing. The only thing I used it for was making frozen margaritas back in the 90’s.

I’d like something that is pretty versatile to use in the kitchen and not too big. I’ve got limited storage areas. Any of y’all got a blender you really like?

EDIT: Blender recommendation only, don’t need a food processor.
    Last edited by Panhead John; December 27, 2021, 12:06 PM.

Been pretty happy with this Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY 14 Cup Food Processor

The only thing I don't like is when shredding cheese sometimes you end up with a small lump that won't shred. But it's easy to clean and does a good job.

It replaced a ninja blender that did good but started to leak.

Comment

Hahaha! Didn’t you read the small print when you sign up to The Pit?

I have a Kitchenaid Diamond Blender. I like it because it works for what I need. It’s not the fanciest of blenders but it wasn’t the most expensive either.

in fact, I bought it the day before Christmas Eve 4-5 years ago because my first KA blender died on me! Ran to Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% coupon and bought this one so I could make my carne adovada!

Hope that helps. You’ll get other options I know, so should have a decent selection to choose from.

Comment

We have had a Cuisinart for decades and my mom has always owned one and used it heavily as a home baker. She probably had hers for 30 years before replacing it with a new and shiny one. I am sure the old one could have still done the job for many more years. Rock solid reliability, easy to clean, and gets the job done.
        Last edited by STEbbq; December 27, 2021, 10:18 AM.

Comment

We have a Ninja, works okay. I have my doubts about its longevity, though.

When we got together with family last year to make ravioli one of the gals brought her old Cuisinart FP to mix the filling. I joked that it was a wedding present from 40 years ago, but that thing ran like a champ.
          Last edited by CaptainMike; December 27, 2021, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Flag retired.

• Santamarina
            Santamarina commented
            Editing a comment
            Appliances from 40 years ago were built to last. Today, everything’s disposable. If an appliance or kitchen tool works for 5+ years these days I found myself lucky.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Got gifted a ninja, broke it inside 2 years, got gifted another one; made it 3 years.

I use this food processor and like it a lot. Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY 14 Cup Food Processor, Silver https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01AXM4W...ing=UTF8&psc=1

For a blender I scored a Vitamix and it's awesome.
          Last edited by Attjack; December 27, 2021, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the same processor and a Vitamix blender also.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Attjack I probably us my bullet more than my bladed spice grinder for spices and rubs. Easier to clean.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            texastweeter I keep telling people but no one likes the recommendation.

Blender - hands down a Vita-mix. Will puree anything to smithereens and will not break. Have used them in pro kitchens and have had my own for the last 8 years with 0 issues (other than my wife blending the plastic lid thingy by accident)

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            They will break. I'll have to ask my wife what she was trying to pulverize but she busted the shaft right out of it. I mean housing and all.

Cusinart food processor, Vitamix blender

Comment

Jeez Panhead John buy both!!

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              I shouldn’t have even mentioned a food processor at all, that’s my fault. I enjoy chopping my own vegetables, so I don’t see a need for the processor. But I definitely need a blender.

I’M GOING TO EDIT MY POST: So people don’t waste their time recommending a food processor. Sorry guys.
              Last edited by Panhead John; December 27, 2021, 12:05 PM.

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah CN, I’m seeing lots of Vita Mix recommendations. Gonna check that out now.

For a blender I love my Blendtec. For a food processor Magimix.

Comment

Can't help you with a blender. We have a 15 year-old Kitchen Aid that spends most of its time in the back of a cabinet.

For a food processor, I strongly recommend a Cuisinart. I have two. One is about thirty-three years old and still works great. We brought it down from Chicago when we moved recently. The other is a Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY 14 Cup Food Processor - the same model that Attjack and ItsAllGoneToTheDogs mentioned.

Comment

I got a blendtech several years ago and it’s a beast. I make cashew butter with it and can make soup directly in the blender, as the friction heats it.

either that or the vitamix for the high powered ninja are all excellent.

for food processors, I got a breville sous chef and it is great.
                Last edited by Polarbear777; January 2, 2022, 11:28 AM.

Comment

As an added bonus, is there a blender that does well crushing whole spices? Or am I asking too much?

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Buy a small coffee grinder for crushing spices

• RickyBobby
                    RickyBobby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    +1 to Troutman. I bought a $6 cheap-o coffee grinder at the grocery store years ago just for spices. Works like a champ!

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Magic bullet or Nutribullet.

Something to consider - if the uses you have are interchangeable, a food processor will be much quieter. I never really use my blendtec blender because it makes so much damned noise that I get fussed at and usually have to do my blending outside.

A food processor is comparatively silent. Get one with enough oomph, don't go cheap. The Cuisinart 14cup I think is a classic. Breville also makes one that's comparable and nicer, but predictably more expensive.

Comment

VitaMix ... no reservations ... no regrets ... (and not a food processor ) ...

Comment

• MBMorgan
                      MBMorgan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Panhead John - More volume. They slice, grate, shred, and are pretty good at making a few types of dough. All in all, They can be quite useful ... and different enough from a blender that we find enough use for both. Not everyone will agree ...
                      Last edited by MBMorgan; December 27, 2021, 12:34 PM.

• WillTravelForFood
                      WillTravelForFood commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Panhead John : A blender is designed to, well, "blend". Pulverize, combine wet and dry ingredients.

A food processor will not necessarily pulverize or blend food, but is really good at making slices, shreds. We've also had difficulty using a food processor with soup-style items, due to leakage that wouldn't occur if we were doing the same task in a blender.

Plus: can't make a milkshake in a food processor.*

(*although technically you probably could, but who'd want to?)

• MBMorgan
                      MBMorgan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Panhead John - I have only 2 use case scenarios for my food processor (FP):

1. Thin-sliced cabbage for sauerkraut. I can do the same with my chef's knife, but the FP is faster. If I use my knife, it's all that needs cleaning. If I use the FP, it AND the knife that I used for cutting cabbage down into chunks that fit into the FP both need cleaning.

2. Gyoza dough and filling in the FP (does great).

That's it. If my wife didn't also use it, probably wouldn't have one. Except for MCS .

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here