Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you... air fry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never have, never will

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      The purest

Not sure how I missed this posting but good read. We got a Corosi with the deep bin for Christmas. Like some of you we have limited space so couldn't justify the oven type. Been using it for the usual frozen stuff like wings, chicken tenders, fries, tots, etc. I buy some prepared meals from HEB that are labeled to be cooked in a 400* oven. Gotta agree with MBMorgan and others that 400* in the air fryer is way too hot for most things. Frozen tots and stuff like that do fine but fish or anything with cheese does much better at lower temps. I guess it's a learning curve like anything else. Well worth the $99 I spent on the thing !!!

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm using my oven type unit as an oven and convection oven far more than an air fryer thus far. The sear plate is nice too. It's a good microwave replacement because it's far more capable and yields better results in most cases.

I'm going to have to try air frying more things though. Wings are drying out on a rack now. I bought some pickles for fried pickles. Maybe after that I'll do some fries.

I finally upgraded my basket style air fryer that was falling apart to a ninja "air oven" with room for multiple racks and multi level cooking. I've had a hard time with the cooking temp learning curve because 400F used to be too high for any non-frozen food and I would only use it otherwise for the last 10 minutes of wings to get them crispy. This one goes up to 450 and I've had poor luck getting browning at 350 so I think I have to get an old temp+50 degree correction factor in my mind.

I'm very happy with the capacity and the fact that I can put it on the dehydrate setting at 85 degrees and cover bread dough with a damp dish towel and it makes an awesome, warm, humid proofing box. This way I can use my real oven for other things while bread is bulk fermenting.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I should probably stick with using the instant pot to proof.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack I never would have thought to use my instant pot to rise dough. I never realized it could be set to low enough temperatures.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris apparently it works if you have the yogurt setting otherwise it does not. I have not done it yet but will soon. You use a regular lid from the kitchen instead of the IP lid.

Thanks guys & gals, y’all lightened my wallet today, thankfully I had a 20% off coupon at BB&B 😄! I really went out on a limb for my first cook: frozen fries 😂. Just in case it bombed I had a side of BLT! Fries were great, BLT was awesome! 😂 So, what should I cook next on the learning curve?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FA6BB937-ABE1-4EB8-86A2-29C23139F33E.jpeg
Views:	322
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	1165949 Click image for larger version

Name:	5A9281C5-718A-47ED-9717-B1A3B93F3AD7.jpeg
Views:	306
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	1165950
    Last edited by smokenoob; January 27, 2022, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      smokenoob Yeah, pretty much. Air fryers have more convection though.

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      mine used to be that shiny! Glad you like it. I love this machine.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest Black Bear. Next time that guy is looking in your back door, time for bear jerky!

Still learning our new Ninja air oven. Last night we did our first frozen pizza in there. Perfect.

What I love about it is it preheats in about 2 minutes instead of nearly 20 for the big oven. 12 min and 400 and done.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      It does heat up fast but I let it go for longer after it beeps. One of these days I'm going to test it with a thermometer.

So the adventure continues. I decided to do a pork tenderloin in the air fryer tonight. I googled a few recipes and decided on an easy one, olive oil, balsamic vinegar , salt, pepper, Dijon mustard, Italian seasoning….. The recipe said to marinate it, put it in the air fryer basket, and cook at 400° for 20 minutes. I explain this to my dear wife and she said I was crazy. She said it’s gonna splatter all over the dang oven and it’s gonna make a friggin mess. well, we exchanged a lot of words that I’m not gonna go into. I did decide to put that pork tenderloin on the broiling pan and slam it in that oven on air fryer. I also dropped the temperature down 50° like many of you suggested. Well since there was a lot of confrontation going on during this cook, I didn’t get to take pictures of the final product. And unfortunately I was not recording when my dear wife said "that was the best pork tenderloin I’ve ever had". 😳😛😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
    So, do you guys do it in the air fryer basket and let it splatter?
    Dear wife said "if you do you have to clean it"
    I replied "I’ll clean it as often as you clean the house oven….every 5 years"
    Yes, it was like a double dog dare…….eyes were burning holes in anything they looked at….
    We hugged and made up, I think this would have gone down differently if it wasn’t the best pork tenderloin she ever had…….I need to up my game on the smoker and grill or I’m out of a job!

Name:	0F1983F4-8955-454E-AE2B-AE09AAF9E777.jpeg
Views:	332
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	1166133

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha.

My daughter got a new range that happens to have an air fryer oven feature. The very morning after I installed it for them, the SIL gets up super early before her and uses the air fryer basket to "air fry" an entire freaking pound of bacon, WITHOUT putting said basket on a pan! He put a piece of foil a rack below, but most of it missed or ran off the foil. She was upset that her new oven was full of burnt on bacon grease in the bottom of the oven when it wasn't even 12 hours old...

Mine has a sear plate so I cooked that one above on it. It was very good. The sear plate really sears well. So I did not use air fry mode I used the sear crisp mode at the very bottom position in the oven. It heats the heavy sear plate from below and uses convection as it cooks.

I've read that a stainless food grade cast iron scrubber thing on top of your food will stop any splatter.

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      interesting!

What's different in an Air Fry oven when you set it to Air Fry instead of just Convection? The basket?

Kathryn

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      My understanding is that it's just more air.

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      it’s fzx

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      I just noticed on mine when I select AIRFRY it says Super Convection 😁
      There ya go!

Really pushing the envelope today! 😂 But seriously, I like the fact that I can make toast and be summoned by the bell when it is done. My previous toaster had a twist dial timer and had to be closely supervised at the end of the cook or it quickly turned to coal.

Name:	74080839-783F-4728-A94E-78797B272165.jpeg
Views:	274
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	1166343

Comment

This is NOT the newest model like I have. However, it is $90 (refurbished).

Name:	O1HdXTk.png
Views:	271
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	1166384

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack every user review I read on the Ninja air fry oven said that if you use two baskets, the food in the bottom basket doesn't get done.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris I would like to read those reviews to try to discern exactly what they did. I figure if you swap positions on say french fries it could work even if it took longer. That way you yield more fries that are all done and hot at once. Maybe fish would be a bad call because you would run the risk of overcooking it. Given what you said, I might try an experiment with the basket and the rack foiled with holes poked in it before I buy a second basket.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack from what I was reading in user reviews of several of the oven style air fryers, the food on the top rack blocks the air flow from the fan to the food on the bottom rack, which makes sense since the fan and heating element are usually in the top. Because of that, even if you swapped food halfway through the cook, anything in the bottom just didn't get crisp or done on time.

If you don't load too much in the top rack, it would help, but that defeats the purpose of a 2nd rack.

I had my first partially unsuccessful cook. I air-fried some wings and pickles. The wings were fully cooked and crispy but they had an off-flavor. I suspect it was a problem with the meat though. I'll have to try again sometime although I also want to try wings in my rotisserie basket on the gas grill. That will probably happen before I go back to the air fryer with them.

But the pickles were great. I'm going to do them again soon since I made a big batch of cucumber-ginger sauce to go with them.

Name:	H8SDbv0VlfrQ0HGbFXJWF2z1ENM-QZiwQpeoUMYLnE8XGmLwgN9BBYlg_Hj51j6KD5UJ__qGus5-xKCnC-IH_vKOen-8EnSjypudb7i0wV7TtLCET-gS_LS4CiI_587O5BdHniGRL-Y7Ux4B5IzKH5pAkXBjAQTQtGRewYEpzfAceKNH3PAv30PaQQgUjoJKzqXpn6qIeInZ_doqs2WOHIk-2ZavcLa435pI0mTbRcL1z5bv02TiebJgiFLVX-e
Views:	277
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	1166404

Name:	EoscWBYGD_UB_mi5CF80rJtQHYBHeb5c6akjqnlt8pHw13PEEmuXOCPPx9e-JfdbBfK1MX1nIeDxMmuuFua92Y9d3WGo9_qaePkNnO0yklau-d6IoeU1BJA4_EggO8idr9eAl5kQlTpeEyZE6djZ0DpJZQvRbmbyHaZ1jhGvm30qSWPj1cZjqCfwVMlSwd1AsopEmq20p4fymLMWrhwCIGwPHYi46Gaf1Gi8Pmy1orL7FZBhRL1GhqT8k6eBI5V
Views:	266
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	1166405

Comment

Honestly, I'm thinking of getting a small regular fryer. I don't need one as I rarely deep fry anything and I could use my lodge combo cooker, but a small deep fryer would let me to actual fried chicken or fish for fish and chips. An air fryer feels like a partial solution and if I'm going to want fried foods... why not a real deep fryer?

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Because fried food is bad for you and you would have to store another appliance. I also considered buying a deep fryer but decided it made more sense to get my fill of fried foods when I'm eating out. I do deep fry sometimes at home in cast iron but I'll do that less now that I can air fry.

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack - well an air fryer is also something else I'd need to store (I wouldn't end up using it for things like pizza, etc) so that's a wash. As for fried food being bad for you... it's not like fatty brisket point or pulled pork or pork belly is healthy .

All things in moderation.
        Last edited by rickgregory; January 28, 2022, 04:50 PM.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        rickgregory amen to moderation in all things!

The electric deep fryer is convenient for temperature control, and its not too hard to clean up. My main issue with deep frying is that invariably I never end up reusing oil. I've done it more often in my dutch oven lately than in the actual deep fryer, as I can get by with less oil, since you don't have to cover heating elements AND reach a certain depth in a fry basket.

After making a mess air-frying panko’ed zucchini, I got one of these quarter sheet non stick roasting pan & basket sets from Williams Sonoma, think it was $39 on sale. It gets the food up high in the air flow, catches all the "droppings", and is easy clean. It’s a tad smaller than the basket rack in my oven but makes up for it in cleanup! I now pretty much use it for all my air frying unless it’s clean food like frozen fries.
      Attached Files

Comment

Okay, finally pulled the trigger. Ninja SP301 arriving Tuesday.

Will put it to work pretty quickly. I have a tritip in the refrigerator. I will probably put it in SV and then shock and back into fridge to await final sear on the new device. Likely will air fry some sweet potatoes to go with it.

Comment

Pork tenderloin, brussel sprouts, and carrots. 30 minutes.

Name:	IMG_20220202_185810_173.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	1170471

I finally did fries from scratch. I did 2 batches and simified the technique on the second batch. Next time I'm going to try for one batch and twice the fries. The fries were good but took some effort. I air fried some fish coated with boxed fish fry mix to go with the fries.

Name:	20220204_183217.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	1170472

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here