Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you... air fry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried it a few times, never worked out. Everything I lowered the basket into the grease, it would jump out the top.

Comment

We’ve had a Ninja air fryer for a couple of years. Ours isn’t the oven type, just an air fryer. We love ours. I can pop some Tyson frozen chicken parts in and have good crisp chicken ready in just a few minutes. It’s the same with frozen french fries, they come out great. The thing is a grand kid feeding machine. The only thing I just can’t get to come out right is frozen okra, it comes out hard and dry.

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Haven't tried frozen okra yet. You may already know this, but from what I've read, you need to coat it lightly with oil in addition to seasonings to prevent the hard and dry problem.

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank You!

Pork chops. Home fries. Onion rings. Chicken wings and thighs. I use it a couple time a week.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I hear of a lot of people doing pork chops 🤔

I would like to optimize doing home fries. I've done them a couple times in the full sized oven with air fryer at the cabin and they were decent but not great. The frozen beer battered fries I bought were extremely good. Of course those were actually deep fried I assume.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack I am still trying to perfect them. I usually use russets into and spray them with Pam and 3cook at 380 for 20 min, adding onion and pepper and going for another 10 - 15 minutes and they are ok but not great. I am going to try par boiling them and going at a higher temp for a shorter amount of time next time.

For me it's not having to turn on a big stove when cooking for one person

Comment

Ditto, got one for Christmas and we’ve used it almost daily. Mostly smaller frozen stuff, wings, tots, etc. HEB sells prepared small entrees you would normally cook in a 400* oven for like 15-20 minutes. AF does it in 5. I like the 5 oz ribeyes with asparagus, not a bad little lunch!!

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          I love those HEB Meal Simple things. My favorite is the original salmon and crab with broccoli. (Just wish they were still at the $5 price they were a few years ago.) To have those done in 5 minutes rather than 20....that's tempting.

I have a bougie toaster oven that Santa got me years ago. It has an air fry setting. I just treat it as super-convection. As mentioned above, it’s not for super "wet" applications like a beer batter. But tater tots, sweet potato fries, wings, etc it works. And I am also with Jerod Broussard if I don’t have to crank up the big oven, this little guy serves well!

Comment

• smokenoob
          smokenoob commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, now I can’t get Bougie Nights out of my head!

You may have an air fryer, but do you have an air friar?

Click image for larger version

Name:	FIvjsRhWQAQSHXQ.jpeg
Views:	322
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1157634

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome! ROFL!

Originally posted by Attjack View Post
        For those of you who do air fry do you have any tips, tricks, recipes you recommend?
        I have, and use frequently, a very simple Cosori air fryer. With the exception of some easy frozen proteins (like shrimp), I tend to stick to things from the Plant Kingdom ... fresh or frozen, it generally does a really good job and means not having to fire up the big oven.

The best tip I can give is to take virtually all recipe-recommended cooking temperatures with a large grain of salt. I think that recipe-writers get so caught up in the game of "Air Fryers as the new FASTEST cooker in town" that they very often specify temps 50 or more degrees (F) higher than they need to be. These days, if a recipe calls for 400F, I try 350 instead and usually get great results without any nasty, burnt background flavors or smells.

Comment

We have a convection oven and use it occasionally but most things that I hear people air-frying I'd rather grill... chicken breast, poppers, chicken wings... or roast (potatoes, vegetables, etc...)

Maybe I'm missing out? Or maybe I'm the only one crazy enough to go do vortex chicken wings in 6 inches of snow during a blizzard with a windchill of 0.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree that most of those things I'll be doing on the grill or smoker. But I'm braving the weather less this year. Maybe because it's been raining here non-stop for so long. The cold and snow are more inviting to me than cold rain. However, roasting is great in my little unit. As the seasons change I'll shift to making more sides in it rather than experimenting with full meals as I'm doing now. In fact, I may very well put a second larger unit in the outdoor kitchen.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I bought a Vortex not long ago strictly because everyone said it was a "wing machine" and told the wife it was a contraption that turned my grill into a huge air fryer! . In theory that isn't far off from the truth. I am certain you get a lot of convection and air movement when the Vortex is full to the top with glowing red coals.

This was the "air crisp" mode where I preheated the sear plate and then dropped everything on it for around 20 minutes.

Name:	20220111_180231.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1158008

Name:	20220111_182343~2.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1158005

Name:	20220111_183045~2.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	1158007

Name:	20220111_184059.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	1158006

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            smokenoob Honestly I wouldn’t. Like I mentioned above, my bougie toaster oven has the setting. PLUS, I have a lot more things I can do with besides toast. It’s a Breville https://www.breville.com/us/en/produ...ns/bov845.html

• smokenoob
            smokenoob commented
            Editing a comment
            SheilaAnn do you have smart oven pro or smart oven airfryer pro?

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Oven Pro, I am almost certain. Oddly, the back of it shows no model number or anything.

smokenoob Here is a pic of the controls.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	7CDFF7BB-AD7E-4095-AC8D-5EE04DDE3B62.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	47.8 KB ID:	1158549

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s why I love the breville. I do not need another machine.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, you already have one and now so do I.

• willxfmr
            willxfmr commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm starting to think we are related. I have an older model of that same oven. I got mine before air frying turned into such a big thing.

When the first came out everything I tried was nasty. Said I'd never get one. Fast forward 4 years and I have an Instant Vortex Plus 6 quart. Doesn't take up too much counter space and is easy to clean and hold a decent amount of food.

I think it's all a matter of learning how to use them properly. Nail the basics and they are very useful.

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            @jfmorris

Hold up, wait a minute, something ain't right. This video by America's Test Kitchen was posted in November and led me to my decision to get a basket over a oven style.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris I'm in the other boat at this point. I can't see getting a bucket-style air fryer because it's a one-trick pony. In my recent experience, the convection oven part of my little air fryer is the real star. The air fry feature is nice too but more of an added feature that's nice to have. I guess it depends on what you want to cook though.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Bkhuna that's updated from the guidance I saw some months back, where they (or maybe it was Consumer Reports) were saying that a Cuisinart convection toaster oven beat all the air fryers in their test.

If I get $$ back this year I'll bring this ninja puppy home.

Comment

Attjack I did some fresh wings in the Ninja air fry/oven tonight. Meh. They were whole wings cooked at 400 fo 28 min. Juicy and tasty . But skin was not very crisp and skin was cooked unevenly Tips?

Comment

• gatorjj
              gatorjj commented
              Editing a comment
              I do them from frozen for 35 minutes at 390 in the Ninja basket one. I have tried different times and temps and that works best for me so long as you flip them every 5 minutes so the crispiness is decent and even across them all.

While I like them better fried, it's close enough and takes a whole lot less time and cleanup.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I haven't tried yet. Maybe I'll try it this week.

MBMorgan thank you for these words of wisdom. We just tried our new air fryer last night following their instructions (400 for 30min) and the wings came out fried, as in fried to death...Not burned, but very close to chicken jerky on the bone...

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I have wings defrosting now for my first try at air-fried wings. I have definitely found that checking the food ahead of time is the way to go to avoid overcooking.

• Bkhuna
              Bkhuna commented
              Editing a comment
              Remember that these devices are little convection ovens. 400 is way too hot. I've done wings at 360 for 20 minutes with a turn at the 10 minutes to be great. I also missed them with veggie oil when they went into the fryer. The key is to check often during the cook.

There is definitely a learning curve. I'm keeping notes as I go along and it has helped.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here